Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
For now I have removed the cover from my config. I'm debating whether, when they notify me I'm close, to go with no cover and get it as soon as possible - or wait for the new powered cover. I have an electric SUV now (Audi E-tron), so I can make do and needn't rush. But I REALLY want the truck! After I watched the Munro tear-down I had hoped the fix wouldn't be too bad for them to implement. The design is so elegant it's hard to give up on them. At this time I believe I would rather wait for one of excellent after market companies than get the non-powered Rivian cover.

· Registered
9 Posts
The new redesign is already out. My original one broke the second day which was very upsetting, but 4 weeks later they called as they had received one of 30 in the nation and wanted to install on my truck. I’ve had it for over a month now and it works great. It is also a bit quieter. I will assume the mechanism inside is different but outside the only noticeable thing is that the slats overlap instead of butting end to end. The other thing is that when it retracts it sticks out just a touch so the last slat does not go in. I assume this is so it doesn’t completely detach which is why they’re having many of them break.

All that being said, I am not clear whether they are offering this to everyone or just to those that are broken.
That's great, I'm really hoping to get my fix soon since I carry stuff in the bed for work every day. Hurry up Rivian!!!!

· Registered
149 Posts
That is news. I was told the power tonneau would not be an option for trucks shipped without one since the rails wouldn't be included.
The email they sent about it says:

"If you choose no tonneau cover, vehicles delivered in the next few months will include the integrated siderails in the bed. In early 2023, we will transition to a design without the integrated siderails."

So trucks being delivered now (end of 2022) still will have side rails, that's clear and expected.

What's not clear is if the trucks delivered with no side rails cannot have the powered tonneau retrofitted. That is: is the "design without integrated side rails" referring to just the design of the truck bed alone or is the design referring to the new powered tonneau itself? If it's the former (and the revised power tonneau still requires integrated side rails) then it would be true that those redesigned trucks could not have the powered tonneau retrofitted. If on the other hand the "design" refers to the whole system, then it could still be possible that trucks delivered without integrated side rails could have the revised power tonneau retrofitted.

· Registered
64 Posts
Had a manual retrax on a F150 for 7 years with zero problems.
I had a manual Retrax that I had on two different Tundra 1794's. The dealer didn't want it when I traded. Zero problems...BUT (and it's a big but)...the rolled up cover from "only" a 5-1/2' and the box it rolled into takes up an inordinate amount of room. There are also two drain hoses to be routed (through the bed wall in front) to let out the water that finds its way into the box. Even though there would be less "rolled up" (since the bed is a foot shorter), there would be hardly any room left in the bed. I wouldn't go the Retrax route on a Rivian. The other downside is heat. I live in South Texas and the unventilated sealed up bed with a black Retrax on it easily attained temperatures of over 130 degrees on 100+ degree days. I fried an egg on the surface of it to show that it could be done. I don't want to heat my battery pack "from above". The Rivian tonneau is "not waterproof" (and certainly nothing like "airtight"), whereas I never got any water in the bed with the Retrax...so...no ventilation was going on.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts