Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Interesting move to minimize mileage toll of trailers, give them their own battery-assist.

At a hefty cost, no doubt, and recharging them might mean taking two charging spots. Hopefully we'll see truck stops and destinations along major routes add some "tow-friendly" charging spots that include dual chargers and pull-through layouts.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We're living in an imperfect world, but it shows that when limitations are reached there are creative solutions to address them. When I purchased my 2005 Prius hybrid, the replacement cost for the battery was $10,000 (on a $25,000 car). I wasn't especially concerned because it had a good warranty. Flash forward to 2017, I experienced a total (but expected) battery failure. I could buy a new one for $3,000 or a remanufactured with a 3-year warranty for $1,350. Batteries have always been the weak link but there's a "Moore's law" analog in battery technology and pricing. In 4-5 years there very well may be improvements to the point where an external pack the size of a 5-gallon jerrycan may give you an instant 50-100-mile boost. It may take longer than that, but not by much.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'll be curious to see who the first company is that takes this to the next level. A full trailer like that is pretty big, you could certainly fit a giant auxiliary battery in the pull-behind which could more than offset the range loss of pulling the trailer. Agreed that it would likely have a steep price hike, but on the other hand, the engineering is much simpler since it's not a full drivable vehicle. Would I pay an extra 10-25k for a trailer that had a big built in battery enabling me to not only offset the towing cost but increase my range by double? Pretty sure the answer to that is yes :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'd love to see a pull-behind camper in the medium to small size with a battery pack for range extension. I don't see pulling a large Airstream across the country - too big and too much range loss. Although I may be wrong since we don't know what the range loss is exactly. I live in Colorado which means anywhere I go will be uphill, so range loss will be pretty bad.

Is a camper/trailer with an extra 100miles of battery too much to ask? It only makes sense that if you're pulling a trailer, let the trailer contribute to the range loss. I know that Rivian has been working on "jerry can" packs for the truck bed (or at least they applied for a patent), but to add a battery to a trailer makes a lot of sense.

AND, if there is a camper that can give me that extra 100 miles, maybe I won't have to wait for the R1T with the 400mi battery pack!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here are a couple of similar articles:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts