Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Just had Paint Protection Film placed by Parker's Detailing here in Gig Harbor, WA. Placed that on the front end and did Ceramic coating on the back half. They did a great job and would recommend them to anyone. View attachment 6960 View attachment 6960
Nice! I had the front half of my Launch Green R1T done with ppf as well.
Didn't do ceramic yet because I might do other places with ppf - tailgate, etc

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi. Thanks for posting. Your truck looks simply amazing. Makes me think maybe I should switch back to El Cap Granite.

I’ve never heard of this product. Curious - is it supposed to retain that shine I see in the photos or is it just for protection?

Also, difference between ceramic coating and PPF? Why did you choose to do back half/front half?

Also, any clues on overall cost?

Thanks in advance for the info!

·
Registered
53 Posts
We do the front of EVERY new vehicle we get with PPF.

Ceramic coating looks nice and water beads off...but does not protect the paint from rocks chipping it up. Picture from the day that I picked up mine from the PPF shop last week.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I used AvalonKing ceramic coating. Very easy to self install. Wipe on a small area, wait for it to 'flash', wipe off. Leaves a beautiful, slick coat. Just like a regular car wax. The only difference is you get a visual indication of when it's time to wipe off - you can see a streaky color, similar to an oil floating on water look, which indicates it has flashed off enough to polish out. Put on as many coats as desired. Install over ppf as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. Thanks for posting. Your truck looks simply amazing. Makes me think maybe I should switch back to El Cap Granite.

I’ve never heard of this product. Curious - is it supposed to retain that shine I see in the photos or is it just for protection?

Also, difference between ceramic coating and PPF? Why did you choose to do back half/front half?

Also, any clues on overall cost?

Thanks in advance for the info!
Not the expert, but here is what I understand:

1. Diff in PPF & ceramic? Ceramic is essentially a coat of glass over the original paint coat. The ceramic provides a hard shell protection of the paint against scratches and chips. The PPF (Paint Protection Film) is a wrap over parts of the vehicle that prevent things like rock chips and scratches to the front and other parts of the vehicle. As I understand, PPF is prone to tears ad punctures, which can look bad. Contrarily, ceramic is hard to maintain (gentle hand wash only).

2. Front half and back half are more prone to rocks, chips, etc. from the road, hence it seems common to just do the front and/or rear.

3. Costs: This varies. I have seen as high as $11,000. $4K to $6K seems to be the mean range. Folks to seem to think its worth it. I personally am on the fence. XPEL stealth wrap is running around $4500. Their front wrap package is $1500.

Good forum thread re: detailing with great pictures.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just had Paint Protection Film placed by Parker's Detailing here in Gig Harbor, WA. Placed that on the front end and did Ceramic coating on the back half. They did a great job and would recommend them to anyone. View attachment 6960 View attachment 6960
Looks amazing!!! Plan to do the same with my R1T once it comes in. I ordered the same color as well. Love the metallic shine of El Cap!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts