Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any indication as to whether Rivian will reconsider dual motor pricing for those who secured a reservation prior to March 2022? As it stands, my only option is to go with the quad-motor, which is totally fine; however, you would think Rivian would be incentivized to allow us to 'downgrade' to the dual-motor while maintaining the current price tag. Their revenue on pre-March 2022 reservations is essentially locked but this would allow them to decrease their costs on these reservations by producing dual-motor vehicles instead of quad-motor vehicles ultimately allowing them to save money (or lose less). I personally don't need the added performance of the quad-motor but instead would prefer the added range from improved efficiency and the earlier delivery timeframe. I would definitely consider this option if they allowed me to maintain my current price as otherwise I would have to to create a totally new reservation with the new pricing structure that would result in a significantly higher overall price which doesn't make any sense. Seems like this could be a win-win for Rivian and other pre-March 2022 reservation holders who might be interested in the same. Maybe I'm the only one who would want to do such a thing. Probably depends on what kind of range hike is seen with the dual-motor compared to the quad-motor.

· Super Moderator
574 Posts
Yep, what @CommodoreAmiga said. The other Rivian forum had a thread in which a screeshot of dialog with CS on this subject was posted. The rep said that while you are free to go ahead and change your reservation, you will be "subject to the new pricing" in doing so.

· Registered
687 Posts
It would make sense for Rivian to offer two motor AWD to those holding early quad-motor reservations. For a $5k price reduction, I'd downgrade as long it it didn't impact the tow rating too much. My boat rig is 5k so no lower than 7k on the tow rating.

Rivian should save $5k, buyer saves $5k, a win-win.

· Registered
204 Posts
The difference in Conserve versus other driving modes is pretty significant. IMO I'm surprised there is much appetite for dual motor.

· Super Moderator
574 Posts
It would make sense for Rivian to offer two motor AWD to those holding early quad-motor reservations. For a $5k price reduction, I'd downgrade as long it it didn't impact the tow rating too much. My boat rig is 5k so no lower than 7k on the tow rating.

Rivian should save $5k, buyer saves $5k, a win-win.
I agree, and would likewise be fine "downgrading" from the quad- to the dual-motor. I don't think that the tow rating will be impacted to any significant extent. My understanding is that the rating is based around the limitations of the chassis, so it may even be the case the lighter dual-motor will have a slightly higher tow rating.

It would be nice if Rivian were to provide some financial incentive for early Max reservation holders to change to the dual-motor, but I frankly wouldn't count on it. My worry is that the quad-motor Max will be dropped, leaving reservation holders with the Long Range as the only alternative at the old pricing.

The difference in Conserve versus other driving modes is pretty significant. IMO I'm surprised there is much appetite for dual motor.
The dual-motor provides a nominal gain of only 6 miles of range, less than 2% in total, vs the quad. I think the appeal of the dual-motor is less cost.

· Registered
204 Posts
The dual-motor provides a nominal gain of only 6 miles of range, less than 2% in total, vs the quad. I think the appeal of the dual-motor is less cost.
I was referring to performance rather than range. Conserve is an approximation of dual motor and is quite sluggish compared to the quad action. I imagine they optimize things by changing gearing or something but still you're pulling a heavy ass around with 2 less motors.

· Registered
1,687 Posts
I was referring to performance rather than range. Conserve is an approximation of dual motor and is quite sluggish compared to the quad action. I imagine they optimize things by changing gearing or something but still you're pulling a heavy ass around with 2 less motors.
Conserve is ~405hp and FWD and the throttle map is detuned, too. Dual motor will be ~600hp and AWD. A 50% increase in power and non-conserve throttle map will make dual motor config not sluggish like conserve mode.

· Registered
204 Posts
Conserve is ~405hp and FWD and the throttle map is detuned, too. Dual motor will be ~600hp and AWD. A 50% increase in power and non-conserve throttle map will make dual motor config not sluggish like conserve mode.
Makes sense. No way 'Conserve' would be acceptable as a permanent performance mode.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts