Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, On Dec 28th last year I had an email for an estimated delivery in October - December ‘22, today I got the following:
Your Adventure package R1S estimated delivery window is the first half of 2023.🙈

I Ordered November’18 🙄

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just got off the phone with the Rivian rep, and was told that all R1S models are delayed to 1st half of 2023!
That LE and Adventure models will be delivered simultaneously despite the PRIORITY OPTION offered in the LAUNCH EDITION. Lastly I was also told that the 400mi range Maxpack will not be a future option for the R1S!!!
Again since 2018 more; " BATE AND SWITCH!"

·
Banned
473 Posts
Just got off the phone with the Rivian rep, and was told that all R1S models are delayed to 1st half of 2023!
That LE and Adventure models will be delivered simultaneously despite the PRIORITY OPTION offered in the LAUNCH EDITION. Lastly I was also told that the 400mi range Maxpack will not be a future option for the R1S!!!
Range is king. Max pack or nothing.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yeah I canceled mine for an R1T max pack explorer package When they hiked the price and delayed Max pack even further. Then when they came back and said they would honor the original price I just figured forget it. When I Could get my truck at least 2-3 years from now there will be a lot more options. Figure I may end up with a rivian, may end up with something else.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ordered Nov 2018.
My question to the group is how do you trust Rivian anymore? They have had ample time to get their target delivery dates correct. It is not brain surgery to project a delivery date for a Nov 2018 order that is valid. Instead, once again they go to their tried and true policy of giving the first vehicles to the employees and executives, none of which were around when I placed my order. How can Rivian execs look their customers in the eye anymore and say "it's coming". How do the execs feel when they drive by a customer for almost four years that still hasn't received their vehicle? Do they smile and wave? Do they pat themselves on the back for building a car for themselves? Just curious. In my opinion, who cares about the 1000 dollar deposit. Let it ride and if the company fails those execs and employees can be a part of the one off revolution. Any delivery date they offer up at this point is worthless. At some point so is the companies reputation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ordered Nov 2018.
My question to the group is how do you trust Rivian anymore? They have had ample time to get their target delivery dates correct. It is not brain surgery to project a delivery date for a Nov 2018 order that is valid. Instead, once again they go to their tried and true policy of giving the first vehicles to the employees and executives, none of which were around when I placed my order. How can Rivian execs look their customers in the eye anymore and say "it's coming". How do the execs feel when they drive by a customer for almost four years that still hasn't received their vehicle? Do they smile and wave? Do they pat themselves on the back for building a car for themselves? Just curious. In my opinion, who cares about the 1000 dollar deposit. Let it ride and if the company fails those execs and employees can be a part of the one off revolution. Any delivery date they offer up at this point is worthless. At some point so is the companies reputation.
That's kind of where I've landed, now: Until a different vehicle comes along that meets the basic specs, I'll hang around. Then I'll just go with what seems best (iD6? Lincoln Navigator EV? Etc). The next piece of the puzzle will be determining if there will actually be any support for the vehicle. If not, getting an EV from an established automaker will be an easy decision.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ordered Nov 2018.
They are following the Tesla way of doing things…

·
Registered
11 Posts
That is an easy way out for them as they often position the company as good if not better than Tesla. My brother ordered one of the first Model S. He also bought stock at the time. I will check how long his preorder wait was. I can tell you, he still has the car, loves it and raves that the main computer had a glitch after all these years and a tech showed up at the door, put a whole new computer in and didn't charge him a penny. We won't talk about his stock putting two kids through college. I also bought stock in Rivian drinking their kool aid. If I hear one more time the justification for Rivian to succeed is the 17 billion.....16 billion.....15 billion....or what ever it is today of cash, I will throw up that kool aid. Ford has bailed and is getting their quicker and more cost effectively based on a proven product. Amazon won't be around for long if the same delivery woes are affecting their pipeline. You think Ford doesn't want a part of that Amazon pipeline? Rivian completely misses the point. They are good at the blame game. Shortages, The Launch Edition came as a surprise to us and it will take longer. We gave your order away to an employee because they will work out the bugs for you. And the best one, since we have so many shortages affecting our production out of one plant we will build another one so we have twice the capacity for trickle down production. Whoever thought another plant will fix the core issue is the same person thinking delivery dates are just a guesstimate. I guess all the real manufacturing professionals left because they weren't good at the lying game. Don't get me wrong. I am Rivian proponent. But this last email is a joke. How can they update me for Oct-Dec only to send me an email two months later that we changed it to a year from now? And I am supposed to smile and get excited about the Rivian Experience until the next update tells me what???? They screwed up with my estimate again. I know the wave I will give when a R1S passes me...................

·
Registered
397 Posts
That is an easy way out for them as they often position the company as good if not better than Tesla. My brother ordered one of the first Model S. He also bought stock at the time. I will check how long his preorder wait was. I can tell you, he still has the car, loves it and raves that the main computer had a glitch after all these years and a tech showed up at the door, put a whole new computer in and didn't charge him a penny. We won't talk about his stock putting two kids through college. I also bought stock in Rivian drinking their kool aid. If I hear one more time the justification for Rivian to succeed is the 17 billion.....16 billion.....15 billion....or what ever it is today of cash, I will throw up that kool aid. Ford has bailed and is getting their quicker and more cost effectively based on a proven product. Amazon won't be around for long if the same delivery woes are affecting their pipeline. You think Ford doesn't want a part of that Amazon pipeline? Rivian completely misses the point. They are good at the blame game. Shortages, The Launch Edition came as a surprise to us and it will take longer. We gave your order away to an employee because they will work out the bugs for you. And the best one, since we have so many shortages affecting our production out of one plant we will build another one so we have twice the capacity for trickle down production. Whoever thought another plant will fix the core issue is the same person thinking delivery dates are just a guesstimate. I guess all the real manufacturing professionals left because they weren't good at the lying game. Don't get me wrong. I am Rivian proponent. But this last email is a joke. How can they update me for Oct-Dec only to send me an email two months later that we changed it to a year from now? And I am supposed to smile and get excited about the Rivian Experience until the next update tells me what???? They screwed up with my estimate again. I know the wave I will give when a R1S passes me...................
My concern for Rivian is Tesla almost went under a few times and had a ton of growing pains. They really didn’t get all that stable until 2019-2020. Tesla had more of a grace period since they were really the only game in town until about 2 years ago. Rivian is about to have a lot of competition. They do not have the luxury of trial and failure to figure things out.

if Tesla had as much competition from the legacy makers when they released the MS I highly doubt they would have made it.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Wait, really? I've been bugging CS about the R1S Max issue for more than a year, most recently earlier this week. On my chat this week, the rep did use the term "R1S Max" however Can you post the relevant section from your chat transcript?

Some relevant background. My first inquiry was back when the configurator went live and there was no R1S Max option). "We're working on that and hope to have more information in the near future" was the reply then. Later when I asked abut a Max for the R1S, the reps told me that the larger battery option would be called "Longer Range" because it would probably not have the same 180 kWh capacity as the Max. The answer I've gotten for the past 18 months however is the same as what I got the first time however.

It really would be news if Rivian has now decided not to offer the Max at all. If that's the case, they are truly guilty of "bait and switch" since the Rivian website clearly indicated that there would be an R1S Max, though they took that verbiage down when the configurator went live. It would be great if someone on this forum had a screen shot from back then that they could post, or if someone with an IT background could get back to the appropriate 2019 - 2020 Rviain web page

My guess is that Rivian has made the decsion to defer offering the larger battery pack to the dual-motor R1S. This solves a few problems for Rivian. The first is that it buys more time for them to figure out how to get more battery capacity into the smaller R1S. It may also be the case that dual-motor platform provides more room to them to do that. It also makes the issue of "bait and switch" go away since the option will be available, just not on the quad-motor. Another big benefit of this approach is that it also is far more profitable since there are no legacy pre-order holders grandfather in at lower prices, enabling Rivian to price the dual-motor R1S Max at whatever level is needed.

·
Registered
464 Posts
. . . Lastly I was also told that the 400mi range Maxpack will not be a future option for the R1S!!!
To follow up on this issue, I contacted CS and asked specifically if it is true that Rivian will not offer an R1S Max. It is, but thankfully, only in the literal sense. While there will not be a model called the R1S Max, there will [eventually] be a larger battery battery option for the SUV.

I've posted the CS response verbatim below, but want to emphasize that this is essentially the same answer I've gotten for nearly a year:
I appreciate you asking, and perhaps I can offer some clarity. As we know, the R1T can be configured with a Max-Pack Battery (400+ miles) Specifically for the R1S, we shared that a Longer-Range R1S would be available in the future, as we are conducting our EPA certification testing at this time. While "Longer-Range" doesn't necessarily indicate it will be 400+ miles, we'll be sure to share more details as they come available and what our community can expect from this model.

My follow-up question was to ask if CS can confirm that the EPA certification testing of the R1S with the "Longer Range" battery pack is being done on the existing quad-motor SUV platform. On that one, the rep had to punt:
That is a great question, and though I can't confirm at this time. We are conducting the EPA certification testing, and finalizing additional details that will be shared once available. If there's any details surrounding the Longer-Range R1S, and whether it's a quad or dual motor system, I'm happy to follow-up with you.

I want to emphasize that the non-response response on this question by the CS rep is not the rep's fault. They can only provide customers with the information the company lets them have. It is however more than a bit disturbing that Rivian is not providing even this basic level of detail to their CS reps at this rather late stage of things.

·
Banned
18 Posts
Reserved my R1S yesterday. The approximate delivery date was listed as late 2023. I have a reservation on half a dozen EVs. The ID.4 I'm getting in about a month (it's already in the US waiting for a software update) was reserved and locked in exactly one year ago next Monday (July 4). So, it will have been 13 or 14 months for the ID.4 to be delivered by the time I get it. CyberTruck is on order as well since early 2020, but Tesla hasn't yet started making it. I have two Fisker Oceans on order since early January 2022, and I may not get one until mid-2023. So, it's not that unusual to wait for an EV for over year. Rivian delivered their first EV at the end of 2021; the delivery date slippage is common to all EVs. My ID.4 was supposed to be delivered to me in September - October 2021. We are now in July 2022, and I still don't have it. The Model Y I own was originally reserved in February 2020, and I was told that the earliest I should expect a delivery would be December 2020. Then, six weeks later (in mid-March 2020) I got a call from Tesla saying the Model Y was ready for delivery. We were at the beginning of the pandemic, so I declined the delivery. When I was ready to re-activate my order, the Model Y was delivered to me within 10 days of the order re-activation (in late 2021). That was a pleasant surprise. Every other EV I have on order is taking over a year to deliver.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts