Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has anyone gotten their preorder original price confirmation? If so, what was the email sender name? I want to be sure it doesn’t get lost in spam or junk!
I haven't yet but I'm keeping an eye on my configuration every now and then (every 2-3 days). RJ's email came from [email protected], so maybe that one. But again, nothing yet. Patience is key. As we've all been practicing for years now anyway. :)

·
Registered
477 Posts
I contacted Rivian CS yesterday, told them that my account page still showed the increased pricing and asked when it would revert to the original pricing. The answer was basically that they were working on it and hoped it would happen sometime soon. Perhaps sensing that was not particularly informative, the rep took pains to assume me that the original pricing would be honored.

·
Registered
34 Posts
An about-face was clearly not planned like the switch to new pricing was. They now have to build out a system which will lock in the old pricing for old orders (and maybe even an old configurator set of pricing in case you are able to make changes to the config with locked in prices), and a new set of prices for all orders moving forward.

The current system was designed to have one price for each vehicle and option, not more than one.

·
Registered
R1S Adventure (ordered 10/27/21), Red Canyon. Genesis GV 60 Mauna Red (bought 9/10/22)
111 Posts
The answer was basically that they were working on it and hoped it would happen sometime soon. Perhaps sensing that was not particularly informative, the rep took pains to assume me that the original pricing would be honored.
I imagine their efforts are more focused on a system that gives the new prices to new customers.

Then they can go back and retro our configs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
An about-face was clearly not planned like the switch to new pricing was. They now have to build out a system which will lock in the old pricing for old orders (and maybe even an old configurator set of pricing in case you are able to make changes to the config with locked in prices), and a new set of prices for all orders moving forward.

The current system was designed to have one price for each vehicle and option, not more than one.
This sounds similar to what I had mentioned in a different thread last week. Makes perfect sense from both price-strategy and technical backend perspectives. Frontend too I suppose.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Indeed. I imagine their software team is working 24 hours shifts making the changes. Not to mention having to obtain a snapshot of the database as of 12 am March 1 and using that to reinstate some cancelled orders and/or pre-March 1 configs. And I imagine they'll be testing the software rather thoroughly to ensure no flub ups before releasing.

RJ the CEO was perhaps a bit out of touch with reality when he said Rivian would be sending out an email in a few days. My guess is a few weeks is still a bit optimistic.

With much at stake, a recovery of this nature must be carefully planned. I suspect Rivian intends to be careful and methodical from here on out. Steady as she goes, right?

BTW, I was one who cancelled my orders. After receiving RJ's email offering to correct matters, I sent a nice email with RJ's email attached asking that my orders be reinstated, included pics of my config's prices and restated the configs to ensure I have record of trying to get back into the fold. At least that way I have some record just in case I'm somehow overlooked in the recovery process.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This just in:

Hi Corey,

We wanted to follow up with you directly after RJ’s letter this past Thursday regarding pricing. As RJ said, your previously configured price will be honored.

We appreciate your patience as we update our configurator and your Account page with your previous pricing. We expect this could take several weeks. In the meantime, you’ll be hearing from us more regularly.

Here are some things you should know:
  • Your Rivian Account page will continue to reflect the higher pricing until the update is complete.
  • Once the update is complete, your preorder will revert to what it was as of February 28, 2022.
  • We will honor the prices you were given for the options you previously chose.
  • Details regarding Rivian preorders can be found in our Preorder Agreement.
Feel free to contact us if you have questions or input throughout the process. We’re here to support you. Thank you for being part of the Rivian community.

Tony Caravano
Head of Rivian Customer Engagement​

·
Registered
50 Posts
Indeed. I imagine their software team is working 24 hours shifts making the changes. Not to mention having to obtain a snapshot of the database as of 12 am March 1 and using that to reinstate some cancelled orders and/or pre-March 1 configs. And I imagine they'll be testing the software rather thoroughly to ensure no flub ups before releasing.

RJ the CEO was perhaps a bit out of touch with reality when he said Rivian would be sending out an email in a few days. My guess is a few weeks is still a bit optimistic.
snip ...
"We expect this could take several weeks. "

Regarding "having to obtain a snapshot of the database" pre-March 1st ... you either have backups with version control or you don't ... and clearly they don't. How basic is that? Is that not I.T. 101? Clearly, cancellations and config changes by the user around these dates is a reasonable complication given how this went down ... but a proper backup would solve 98% of this. More incompetence.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I contacted Rivian CS yesterday, told them that my account page still showed the increased pricing and asked when it would revert to the original pricing. The answer was basically that they were working on it and hoped it would happen sometime soon. Perhaps sensing that was not particularly informative, the rep took pains to assume me that the original pricing would be honored.
I got an email last Sunday from someone at Rivian name Carvano stating that the amendment of our configurations would take several weeks but reassured that the original pricing would be honored.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.