Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping someone else has experience with this:

Our Ioniq 5 stops charging after a few minutes with the Rivian branded wall charger (sometimes). And then, if you plug it in again, it'll finish (sometimes) or today, it simply wouldn't. My R1T has no trouble at all.

The Ioniq owners have some theories, and this is not unknown to them. One theory is the heat (100 degrees today) another is the circuit/transformer in the car, and a third is that the charger itself is somehow giving up when facing the Hyundai.

It'll save me a bunch of hassle if someone here has experience charging other EVs with their Rivian wall charger...

Let me know, thanks.

·
Registered
571 Posts
My I-Pace will reduce the L2 charging speed (on a chargepoint unit) when the charger (AC->DC converter) in the car gets too warm. It doesn't shut off, it throttles.
It's possible that the Hyundai and your Rivian unit don't communicate quite correctly, so instead of throttling it gets shut off.
What happens if you let it sit overnight, does charging resume once things cool off?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm unclear how smart the charger is... it seems pretty dumb from the schematic, so I'm not sure how much communicating is really happening

if I unplug the hyundai and plug it in again, it starts charging again, and if it's cooler (evenings) it sometimes finishes the job

·
Registered
73 Posts
Keep in mind that the Rivian Wall Charger is not a charger, the charger is inside your vehicle. Tesla properly labels their unit a Wall Connecter. So the Rivian Wall Connector really doesn’t have much intelligence built into it. It quite likely can only sense temperature and possibly low input voltage and maybe some signals from the charger inside the R1T/R1S. Is it possible that your Ioniq charger (which is inside your vehicle) is shutting down due to the heat? You could test this by dialing the amperage your Ioniq will accept down to 20 or even 10 amps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts