Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
397 Posts
Smart decision, assuming you wanted your truck sometime in the next two years. Congrats on the order.

I think for most, the max pack is overrated and not necessary. 300 miles is still a ton of range. If you get the 21's, it will actually get close to the range it says it will in moderate temperature climates.

400 miles would be nice for those that tow regularly or travel long distances regularly in colder climates. But, beyond that, the extra range really isn't necessary. $10,000 more and most will never use it. 300 miles is about 5 hours of driving. At least for me, my bladder usually won't last that long, thus would be stopping anyway. I don't tow very often, if ever. Most of my road trips are in the 300 to 500 mile range. I'm always stopping at least once on those trips anyway.

So at least for me, if I had 400 miles in range, I really wouldn't benefit anything from it. There's also something to be said for arriving at a charger with a lower battery percentage as it will charge quicker. With a 400 mile battery, would arrive at the charger (because of my bladder stop), with more percentage of range which would lead to slower charging.

Of course there are plenty that would actually benefit from the extra 100 miles in range. But, I think most have no real "need" for it and 300 miles will satisfy their needs in almost every situation.

· Registered
3 Posts
SO glad I made multiple orders. Hopefully ill get my large Pack soon and can enjoy it until the Max Pack comes out.

Reactions: O. horridus

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Smart decision, assuming you wanted your truck sometime in the next two years. Congrats on the order.

I think for most, the max pack is overrated and not necessary. 300 miles is still a ton of range. If you get the 21's, it will actually get close to the range it says it will in moderate temperature climates.

400 miles would be nice for those that tow regularly or travel long distances regularly in colder climates. But, beyond that, the extra range really isn't necessary. $10,000 more and most will never use it. 300 miles is about 5 hours of driving. At least for me, my bladder usually won't last that long, thus would be stopping anyway. I don't tow very often, if ever. Most of my road trips are in the 300 to 500 mile range. I'm always stopping at least once on those trips anyway.

So at least for me, if I had 400 miles in range, I really wouldn't benefit anything from it. There's also something to be said for arriving at a charger with a lower battery percentage as it will charge quicker. With a 400 mile battery, would arrive at the charger (because of my bladder stop), with more percentage of range which would lead to slower charging.

Of course there are plenty that would actually benefit from the extra 100 miles in range. But, I think most have no real "need" for it and 300 miles will satisfy their needs in almost every situation.
I'm sure loaded up with gear, towing a small travel trailer, cold weather, on the AT 20's I got...I'm sure 5 - 7 times per year it will annoy me. but that's prob not worth waiting, buying another ICE truck in the meantime, and toting around another 1000lbs of metal in the max pack battery 100% of the time, not to mention mining of said metal.

· Registered
670 Posts
300 miles is about 5 hours of driving
Keep in mind you run on 75% of battery when traveling. Charging to 100% takes a LONG time. Discharging below 10% is bad for the battery, so you start with 225. Rivian does well at 70 mph. I think OutOfSpec got 288 in run down test at 70 mph. but that's still another 12 miles out of the 225 to 213. If it's cold that's going to 130-110 miles. Add in rain, snow, headwinds.

We deal with it at this stage of EV evolution but with EV's, 500 miles is the range sweet spot.

Totally get people wanting the MaxPack.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keep in mind you run on 75% of battery when traveling. Charging to 100% takes a LONG time. Discharging below 10% is bad for the battery, so you start with 225. Rivian does well at 70 mph. I think OutOfSpec got 288 in run down test at 70 mph. but that's still another 12 miles out of the 225 to 213. If it's cold that's going to 130-110 miles. Add in rain, snow, headwinds.

We deal with it at this stage of EV evolution but with EV's, 500 miles is the range sweet spot.

Totally get people wanting the MaxPack.
you really know how to hurt a guy.

· Registered
670 Posts
Time for my aux battery rant <grin>.

Tesla new was 310 same as the Rivian and even with 15% battery/range loss and the 75% note above AND Tesla's 20 mile overstatement on range, I get around.

Just came back from a 1600 mile run from PDX to SLC with bitter cold and snow in OR passes (closed I84 due to ice) and made it just fine. You just spend a bit more time at the charger.

If I had my Rivian and hit the EA 350kW chargers, I'd have saved a few hours with Rivians more honest base range.

· Registered
503 Posts
Unless you constantly are doing trips it is not an issue. You can charge to 100% for a trip if you need the range, just not recommended to do it all of the time. On a trip you usually just want to charge enough to get to the next stop, takes a long time to top the pack off. Usually if I take a trip I will charge to 100% before I leave the house but then just get what I need between chargers to get there between 10% and 20%.

I have had my Tesla for 6.5 years and no issues at all using this method for trips.

· Super Moderator
570 Posts
Congrats @jbronko1. If the stars align perfectly, your new toy could be in the driveway by [Russian] Christmas!

I fully understand your frustration with the wait for the Max. If you can live with the LR, it's absolutely the right decision to get the vehicle while you can, particularly given that Rivian now seems to be moving toward offering the Max option only for the dual-motor R1T variant. I too have been tempted by the offerings in the R1T Shop but have resisted, and am now at peace with waiting another two years or even three years for one. It will of course be disappointing if we ultimately learn that there will be no quad R1T Max, but c'est la vie.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts