Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps my biggest disappointment about Rivian is the lack of Apple CarPlay. This will not affect my order, as I am excited to receive my R1S some time next year.
I often use my calendar app on my phone to click on ”location” to get directions to events. With CarPlay, it opens Apple Maps directly and it then shows up on my car’s screen. However, there’s another option that works with my electric Mini Cooper, and I’m curious if Rivian has enabled that for owners.
When looking at a location in Apple Maps (and on Google Maps on my iPhone), the ”share“ button brings up a list of Apps to share to. The Mini App shows up, and when I select it the navigation feature of the App opens, and I can set that as the destination on my car’s navigation system (I don’t use this much, as the Mini has car play and I just use Apple Maps).
I have the Rivian app installed, but it does NOT show up as an option on this menu.
My question for owners is: does this change when you actually own a Rivian and have it set up in the App?
This would make it a lot easier to live without CarPlay, as I hate entering location information in a car’s navigation system, no matter how easy it is to use, when I already have that information on my calendar.

·
Registered
Launch Edition LG/FE
145 Posts
While being able to plan a trip on a device and then push the final iteration to your vehicle would be nice, it's just not there yet. The map in the app is merely a quick find for chargers in your vicinity. As time goes on, I am sure they plan to add more functionality as there are many things they said you can do with it, that you still cannot. Right now, their focus is on getting vehicles out and making sure they are as operational as they can. Once they get some breathing room, they will likely move on to some of these things. Perhaps before your R1S is ready?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Does Rivian (Alexa) allow for voice activated nav? "Alexa, navigate to Diagon Alley". Tesla does a nice job with that.
Technically it does, but it doesn't work very well. I've given up on Alexa, for now. It's faster and more reliable to just type it in.

What I'd really like is to be able to do voice dictation on the Rivian on-screen keyboard.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Here's my Alexa experience in the Rivian so far:

me: "Alexa, navigate to Dave's Bagels"
A: "There's a Dave's Bagels one thousand five hundred and eighty-two miles away in Buttville, would you like to go there?"
me: "No"
A: "Hmm, try again but include more information like the address"
me: "Alexa, navigate to Dave's Bagels on East Cherry Street in Springfield"
A: "There's a Dave's Bagels one thousand five hundred and eighty-two miles away in Buttville, would you like to go there?"
me: :mad:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts