Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I have a question for the life expectancy of the RT and it’s not battery related. It involves a four letter word that ultimately sends a majority of our vehicles to the grave prematurely.

Salt.

What is Rivian doing with the undercarriage, and paint?

There is a bunch of aftermarket companies such as Linex and DuPont that offer “armor” coatings and rust proofing but to do it right would require stripping a vehicle down to its bare frame and chassis. Rust typically occurs from the inside and works it way out. Salt dust or residue with moisture getting into the smallest of cavities under or around the car.

Let’s face it trucks are not getting cheaper, they are becoming more and more expensive every year. I just want mine to last more than 10 years without rotting from the inside out on the body...

I’m in Illinois so I hope Rivian is looking into this as their plant is 2hrs south of me and they can see first hand the amount of salt we put on our roads in this state.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
231 Posts
I believe the body panels are aluminum which should greatly decrease rust and corrosion vs steel. Not sure about the frame.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Welcome to the forum @RenovatioLD! Here's what's on Rivian's website about what their vehicles are made of

What is the body made of?

The body structures are made from aluminum alloy, ultra high-strength steel and carbon fiber, designed with the highest safety targets in mind.

What is the underbody made of?

Protecting the underbody of our vehicle is a layered shield of high-strength steel, alloyed aluminum and carbon fiber composite. Engineered to absorb, deflect and distribute force from impacts, the shield is designed for maximum protection in the most extreme off-road conditions.

With the Off-Road Upgrade, standard in the Adventure Package, the reinforced underbody shield will extend from bumper to bumper and side to side.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies! Do you know the protective coating, if any, is used on the steel parts or are these wearable items expected for failure and replacement?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Thank you for the replies! Do you know the protective coating, if any, is used on the steel parts or are these wearable items expected for failure and replacement?
Every manufacturer does something to coat their steel frames, afaik. Of course, the effectiveness does vary, from brand to brand.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah good point I’m just wondering if Rivian went with a cheap manufacturer or something tried and true and reputable guess we will find out. From what is going into their vehicles I would expect reputable fingers crossed!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Yeah good point I’m just wondering if Rivian went with a cheap manufacturer or something tried and true and reputable guess we will find out. From what is going into their vehicles I would expect reputable fingers crossed!
Its unclear what undercoating brand Rivian went with but Wurth is used by many manufactures. We should also get underbody protection that should help keep rocks debris from damaging the undercarriage.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Just got rid of my 2005 Prius (on its second battery). Chicago-kept all that time and rust was never an issue. Rust has not been an issue for me in my vehicles since my 1991 Subaru - which would likely still be running today (boxer engine was great) if the body hadn't dissolved around it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ve had nothing but trucks over 15 of them in the last 20 years (I need them for my business) some brand new some old from Ford F-250-450’s, Chevy and gmc 1500’s, 2500’s and 3500’s. They all start rusting in the same spots. Usually the outside of the truck beds from the inside out around wheel well areas, the bottom of door jams and quarter panels. That’s great your cars have held up! Hopefully Rivian can have the same results as your Subaru and Toyota versus main 3 truck light duty truck manufacturers.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I’ve had nothing but trucks over 15 of them in the last 20 years (I need them for my business) some brand new some old from Ford F-250-450’s, Chevy and gmc 1500’s, 2500’s and 3500’s. They all start rusting in the same spots. Usually the outside of the truck beds from the inside out around wheel well areas, the bottom of door jams and quarter panels. That’s great your cars have held up! Hopefully Rivian can have the same results as your Subaru and Toyota versus main 3 truck light duty truck manufacturers.
Rivian is using Aluminum for the bed, afaik, so that should stand up pretty well for the use case you describe.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I believe Rivian also scrapped the paint bay from the old Mitsi plant b/c it was too small to accept Rivian trucks/SUVS, and was considering integrating massive 30+ foot dunk tanks that could "roll" the body multiple times to ensure full coverage and eliminate air bubbles. I think that they actually had to dig a pit in the facility to accommodate the MHE and roof height restrictions to make the whole thing work. Not sure if that is in place now or not, but that should, in theory, be better than spraying as you will get excellent coverage

·
Registered
117 Posts
I believe Rivian also scrapped the paint bay from the old Mitsi plant b/c it was too small to accept Rivian trucks/SUVS, and was considering integrating massive 30+ foot dunk tanks that could "roll" the body multiple times to ensure full coverage and eliminate air bubbles. I think that they actually had to dig a pit in the facility to accommodate the MHE and roof height restrictions to make the whole thing work. Not sure if that is in place now or not, but that should, in theory, be better than spraying as you will get excellent coverage
The size issue was not with the R1T and R1S. It was with the Amazon vans. They need a much bigger tank to do those too. And yes, they needed to dig out a pit to get the needed room.

·
Registered
2019 Zero SR/F and 2018, BMW i3
148 Posts
The size issue was not with the R1T and R1S. It was with the Amazon vans. They need a much bigger tank to do those too. And yes, they needed to dig out a pit to get the needed room.
I wonder how you guys get these type of information!🤯

·
Registered
461 Posts
I wonder how you guys get these type of information!🤯

The existing paint shop at the Rivian plant had to be scrapped; designed for littler cars, it was many sizes too small. Scaringe could probably sell tickets to watch the new e-coating process that dips vehicle bodies to prevent corrosion. Like BMW does at its Spartanburg, South Carolina, plant, Scaringe wants vehicles to enter the tank and flip, end over end, four times, to prevent air bubbles that could lead to rust—picture that body ballet with a 30-foot-long delivery van. The plant ceilings aren't high enough for this, though, so to solve the problem Rivian lowered the floor, digging an eight-foot pit with giant moorings to house dip tanks that stand about 33 feet tall. Scaringe thinks this makes it the world's largest dip-process setup.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts