Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a new stockholder and one waiting for a R1S, it seems to me that Rivian is behind the curve in having a national service facility. Perhaps buying out an existing company would be one way to get up to speed within the next year. And the kind of company which comes to mind is a vehicle company which does not seem to have much prospect of surviving the demise of the ICE vehicle. I could sugguest one or two brands but I am sure I would be goring someone's sacred cow.

So look around, see what car company has very empty lots, and make someone an offer they can not refuse. And let's move on.

·
Registered
2018 Tesla M3 LR / 2021 VW ID.4 AWD
115 Posts
I would steer clear of any facility that handled ICE vehicles. A ton of the equipment they have are unneeded for EVs and you could be taking on hazardous material issues on the site from years of oil changes. Rivian would be better off buying out a Best Buy over a Jiffy Lube. Starting from a clean shell is likely the most viable solution with a focus on mobile servicing (they just need to figure out where they can source some EV vans or pick-up trucks to use for servicing :unsure:).

·
Registered
229 Posts
I believe Cox Automotive, a Rivian investor to the tune of $350m, is working with Rivian in setting up their service. Now to what to degree is still not clear, at least I haven't read any details yet, but this is one of the things Cox does.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe Cox Automotive, a Rivian investor to the tune of $350m, is working with Rivian in setting up their service. Now to what to degree is still not clear, at least I haven't read any details yet, but this is one of the things Cox does.
But the issue is, when will it get done? Boston seems to be the only facility even close to being open along the East Coast, and it is a long way from Orlando. And conversion of ICE facilities sooner would be better than later.

·
Registered
17 Posts
They have a facility in New York City and that is it currently on the east coast and mid west. It is ridiculous that only around six service centers and one hub have been completed by end of this year. They had expected large scale production by the middle of this year, obviously that did not happen, but they are well behind in service infrastructure. In addition Lucid lists the 25 sites they are open or open soon, Rivian only has the one hub. They should put more information on their website.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.