Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

Model X or R1S 4 motor for $90,000 of your money which do you buy?

• Tesla Model X 2 motors 7 seats

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Rivian R1S 4 motor

Votes: 43 91.5%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The tesla model x with 7 seats is $110,000 if someone was going to give you either a 4 motor R1S or the Model X for the same price $90,000 which would you buy. If you said the Tesla because you got it for $20,000 under current sticker then Rivian is in trouble.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I do not feel the R1S and Model X are really competitors. I would take the R1S over the Tesla even if the R1S was 110 and the Model X was 90.

I may be biased though as I purchased a Model S because I was not impressed with the Model X.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Rivian 2 motor is real comparison to Model X two motor. The Model X's quirky and high maintenance rear doors almost rule it out but...

Range is the same. Towing the same.

Model X $110,000 (no $7,500 EV tax credit)
Rivian Adventure $80,000 (minus $7,500 tax credit)

Rivian is overall better design and doesn't have the draw back of all the normal driving flaws that Tesla's "Full Self Driving" creates.

Plus lots of third party accessories fit the Rivian that will not fit on the X.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I agree that the R1S and Model X are not really competitors (except that there's so few EV SUVs). The R1S will have much more ground clearance and have the ability to haul larger items.

FSD flaws? Just don't use it. I have an Feb 2014 Model S which doesn't have FSD. I drove a Model S a couple years ago with self driving and it made me more nervous than driving myself. Younger generation may end up liking FSD, but it's not for me until I get really old... LOL.

·
Registered
481 Posts
FSD flaws? Just don't use it
Problem is the bleedover to basic AutoPilot. Worst affected is adaptive cruise with Tesla's phantom braking problems rising to the level of NHSTA getting involved. That is all due to FSD tech compromising the adaptive cruise and it appears to be getting worse not better as "FSD" gets more extreme. Basic lane keep alerts are also affected, works 50% of the time in AP. The bleed

·
Registered
220 Posts
I agree that the R1S and Model X are not really competitors (except that there's so few EV SUVs). The R1S will have much more ground clearance and have the ability to haul larger items.
At this point, I feel as if any EV is a competitor to any other EV just simply from a lack of options. Maybe with appropriate time it'll change.

I'm personally going from a Model X to a R1T - with a stepping stone of a Ford Lightning Pro in between depending on timing. That's not vehicles you'd typically compare in the ICE category, but what are the other options in the EV category?

The only reason I even bought the MX was because we didn't want 2 Model S at the time. To express my dislike for it, I believe at the time it was launched I stated "It reminds me of the Pontiac Aztec" but yet...what 7 seat EV options did I have at the time? We already had the Model S with the rear facing jump seats.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I currently own a Model X and have a pre-order for a R1S.

The Falcon wing doors are both a blessing and a curse. When they work it is great. Easy for everyone to get in and out. Easy to put kids in a car seat. When they don’t you want to ram the car into a wall, while everyone is waiting around for the door to get open, or trying to crawl under if it opens half way.

The main reason I’m moving away from Tesla is the customer service has become atrocious. They used to get you in quickly and give you a loaner Model S when you needed service. Now they take months to get you in and loaners are few and far between.

The supercharger network is great, but I find I rarely ever use it.

We need a family car with 6-7 seats. My Model X is getting long in the tooth and is needing service far too often (which is a pain see above). Upgrading to a new Model X would put us back over $110,000.

So really the R1S is a no brainer at my current pre-order price.

Guess I will be going with the devil I don’t know vs the devil I do know. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
Red/Black R1T Adventure, max pack, off-road, 22 Sports.
71 Posts
I'm on the fence myself, but on one hand it's all up to the way that you use the vehicle. I've got both an X LR and a R1T on order. Tesla is currently selling only the 6 seater where the middle row doesn't fold down, meaning that you lose valuable cargo capacity. Although it's got a 5000 pound tow capacity, it can only handle 120 pounds of load downward on it's hitch because of it's design. You cannot add anything to the roof because of the Falcon Wing Doors. This means towing bikes on the back is a risk - which I am planning on doing so with my family of 4. My outstanding order is now 14 months, with another 5 to be delivered even though I was "promised" a 2021 delivery by doing the 6 seater instead of a 7. After a year, Tesla is still ramping up production in starts and fits with middling quality. By that same stance, my R1T isn't going to be here until sometime in 2023 because of the Max Pack config. The latest news from Rivian is disappointing and cause for concern.

If you're planning on taking gear, going off road, I would say the Rivian is the better choice. It's a quick thing to add on the racks since it's designed as such, gear guard, the tunnel, a power operated frunk, working surround camera, air pump are all benefits, and the truck is just plain old utility without compromise. I have little to no fear of chucking something at the Rivian, but would cringe doing the same thing with the Tesla.

Tesla has some advantages - Supercharger network, better software (for the moment) and a bit of history to it. I've not had problems getting my S serviced with really only the rear camera going out within 2 years and no other problems for a total of 5 years now. It's been a solid car. I suspect, however, that the X will be a bit more finicky.

At this point, it might just come down to whoever can deliver first gets the money. In the mean time, I can invest some time into the details and do some soul searching to think about needs vs wants in order to come to a reasonable decision.

·
Registered
514 Posts
If you're planning on taking gear, going off road, I would say the Rivian is the better choice. It's a quick thing to add on the racks since it's designed as such, gear guard, the tunnel, a power operated frunk, working surround camera, air pump are all benefits, and the truck is just plain old utility without compromise. I have little to no fear of chucking something at the Rivian, but would cringe doing the same thing with the Tesla.

Tesla has some advantages - Supercharger network, better software (for the moment) and a bit of history to it. I've not had problems getting my S serviced with really only the rear camera going out within 2 years and no other problems for a total of 5 years now. It's been a solid car. I suspect, however, that the X will be a bit more finicky.

At this point, it might just come down to whoever can deliver first gets the money. In the mean time, I can invest some time into the details and do some soul searching to think about needs vs wants in order to come to a reasonable decision.
Decide which of the functionalities are more important to you and then factor in your patience?

·
Registered
Red/Black R1T Adventure, max pack, off-road, 22 Sports.
71 Posts
Decide which of the functionalities are more important to you and then factor in your patience?
Prrreeettttyyy much. It's going to be a matter of compromises any which way, with inherent risks but I think both have much to offer compared to the competition. Time will tell, and thankfully, I've got time now to mull over options and direction.

·
Registered
11 Posts
R1S all day long, even if they cost the same. Unfortunately neither a $90k R1S or Model X are in the cards... $70k is my upper limit. That's why I feel almost blessed to get a quad motor R1S at $71,500.... and why I was heart broken when they initially increased the price!

But yes, I'd take the R1S over the Model X any day. That said, the Plaid is something else. I'd much prefer the
Plaid just for the sake of having the fastest SUV on the planet... :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
R1S.

I've test-driven a Model X on two separate occasions and been unimpressed either time. The third row is a joke, unsuitable for adults. A lot of the features, especially the doors, are more for show than practical use.

With the R1S, I'm looking forward (hoping?) to an everyday usable third row, more cargo space, and the feel of an actual utility vehicle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have always seen the model X as a mini van as well.
1. Pointy nose
2. Captain chairs
3. Funny side doors.

all scream mini van.

also the front doors are tiny.
The B pillar is right at your shoulder and creates a huge blind spot.
The nose drops off so steeply you can’t see the corners of the front end when you park.
The back doors are a solution looking for a problem

·
Registered
3 Posts
I currently own a Model X and have a pre-order for a R1S.

The Falcon wing doors are both a blessing and a curse. When they work it is great. Easy for everyone to get in and out. Easy to put kids in a car seat. When they don’t you want to ram the car into a wall, while everyone is waiting around for the door to get open, or trying to crawl under if it opens half way.

The main reason I’m moving away from Tesla is the customer service has become atrocious. They used to get you in quickly and give you a loaner Model S when you needed service. Now they take months to get you in and loaners are few and far between.

The supercharger network is great, but I find I rarely ever use it.

We need a family car with 6-7 seats. My Model X is getting long in the tooth and is needing service far too often (which is a pain see above). Upgrading to a new Model X would put us back over $110,000.

So really the R1S is a no brainer at my current pre-order price.

Guess I will be going with the devil I don’t know vs the devil I do know. Fingers crossed.
This is me. I have a Model X put a deposit for the R1S. Primarily reasons are quality and service. I actually really like my Model X. But, quality and poor service has driven me away.

·
Registered
481 Posts
But, quality and poor service has driven me away.
Tesla comes out with a semi-fix for having no blind spot alerts. It turns on side view cams so you can look down and to the right to the computer screen, away from where you should be looking for left lane change and see an image of the blind spot that Tesla side mirror and sensors cannot see. This fix was problematic at night as the flashing turn light embedded with the cam makes it unusable at night. Tesla just offered owners a $400 new cam fix that owners can buy if they don't like the "fix". I guess it's brilliant marketing at some level. I put in a $1,300 blind spot alert system a week after I purchased the car.

Drove an EV6. It has the blind sport alert in the mirror but also turns on side cams when you turn on blinker. But these cams are on the screen right in front of the driver. Cam shows on the left side of the inline screen for left, right for right. Made me want to walk off the lot with the EV6 while I wait for the Rivian. Only thing really stopping me was the $5k dealer upcharge because they are in such high demand.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here's a comparison table I put together with some objective specs and subjective scores. The only negatives right now for the R1S IMO are the early stage of the RAN and lack of a track record for Rivian. Other than that to me the R1S wins hands down. By the way, I do think the R1S competes for Model X's target market but not the other way around, if that makes sense.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car

·
Registered
481 Posts
With Electrify America, ChargePoint and EVgo RIGHT NOW, I'd give Rivian a green check box. All are building out fast and that's on top of the 500,000 public chargers that should show up over the next 2-5 years with the EV bill passed this year.

On software, I'd give Rivian an exclamation point though all the road tests on it have been nothing but high praise and Tesla a red X as Tesla does not have Blind Spot Alert, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, 360 view and Adaptive Cruise has phantom braking issues which will never resolve due to Tesla's FSD program impinging on it.

And ability of Rivian to switch to FWD only and lower height is likely to boost its day to day driving range to equal Model X's.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts