Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw "R1S can automatically adjust to a lower height of your choosing when parked, as low as 8.8 inches off the ground, helping you load in little ones, groceries, gear — and of course, yourself." on Rivian's website.

It's hard to imagine they didn't include this feature on day 1 for R1T. Or this was a deliberate choice?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Just saw "R1S can automatically adjust to a lower height of your choosing when parked, as low as 8.8 inches off the ground, helping you load in little ones, groceries, gear — and of course, yourself." on Rivian's website.

It's hard to imagine they didn't include this feature on day 1 for R1T. Or this was a deliberate choice?
Where did you see that? Any other information included there?

·
Registered
Rivian R1T (Adventure - CR, BM, 21", Ordered 10/5/2021, Delivered 6/24/2022), Suburban 2500, VW ID.4
193 Posts
Maybe that is a preview of the next OTA update. I would imagine that the customer (employee) deliveries that are happening now could be on the next rev to bug test, and that any deliveries to the general public will be after that OTA is officially released (should be next week or the following week if they keep with the 4-5 week release cycle), thus they can advertise on the R1S that they will have the feature from day one, where they can't do the same on the R1T so they don't list it on the site yet.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I wonder if they will build in some more specific intelligence around it - such as only lowering if on mapped roads. So you don't end up in a sticky situation where you're rock crawling and park it to get out for something only to have the car lower itself onto a boulder. If it's an option to enable/disable, you know someone will inevitably forget it was enabled when off-roading and damaging the underside.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I wonder if they will build in some more specific intelligence around it
Well of course. That's certainly one of the reasons it hasn't been rolled out on the R1T yet, because although this sounds "simple" to add there are a lot of situations like the one you mention where the "simple" solution is the wrong one. They've already had to do an OTA about the ride height resetting when the truck turned off because of a situation like this. It could be really costly to ship kneel mode before they've done a lot of testing outside the lab.

I think Rivian has been talking about kneel mode for the R1S for a long time, this is not something new. The R1S is meant to be a people hauler, so the feature is more important there. But there's NO evidence so far that the R1S already has this feature - when real deliveries start then we'll find out whether kneel mode exists yet or not - I suspect it's still not ready at this time. When Rivian finishes the implementing this feature I'm sure it will be rolled out to the R1T as well - the software is the same.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I wonder if they will build in some more specific intelligence around it - such as only lowering if on mapped roads. So you don't end up in a sticky situation where you're rock crawling and park it to get out for something only to have the car lower itself onto a boulder. If it's an option to enable/disable, you know someone will inevitably forget it was enabled when off-roading and damaging the underside.
I'd imagine if your in Off-Road mode its going to either disable "kneeling" or ask you to confirm that your able to "kneel" without causing damage on screen.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts