Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone has info on effect of Cargo crossbars on R1S' range/fuel economy? How much loss of range should I be expecting if I have it installed? Is it easy to install and remove? I'm trying to decide whether or not it's wroth adding it to my existing order.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I can't answer on how range is affected, but they are super easy to take off. you unlock it with key, then flip up the tab and it comes off, repeat on other side and then remove the crossbar. It literally takes 1-2 min to take off both crossbars.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Just like with an ICE vehicle, cross bars on your roof are going to affect your range by 10% or more. I posted this back in January in another thread:
Studies that I have seen in the past show that just putting roof-rack cross bars onto an ICE sedan will reduce the MPG by 10% or more(*). Likewise with a bike rack. And if you actually put gear on your roof rack or bike rack, mileage suffers even further.

(*) how much does a roof rack affect mpg - Google Search
So it's good that they're easy to put on or take off on the R1T/R1S. Leave them off when you don't need them!

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
273 Posts
My wife loved the look of our old AllRoad with the bars on it. Not only did it impact mileage but made an annoying whistling noise. The dealer said 'Those aren't meant to driven around like that, only when you have something on them'.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My wife loved the look of our old AllRoad with the bars on it. Not only did it impact mileage but made an annoying whistling noise. The dealer said 'Those aren't meant to driven around like that, only when you have something on them'.
Nothing beats real life experience from actual users. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
171 Posts
With that being said, although in the case of the shape of R1T and R1S, I think that will still be the case, it would be nice to see some comparisons done on Rivians with and without the rack. I say this because with our Model 3, I assumed it would take a decent hit having permanent crossbars on, but from the tests, it showed nothing noticeable as far as efficiency difference from having it on. (With no accessories mounted of course). But the shape of these crossbars are not nearly as aerodynamic looking as the Tesla crossbars.

but in any case I’d love to see actual comparisons so we know what to expect as far as efficiency change from having the crossbars on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts