Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who have driven an R1S, especially on the 22" wheel/tire combo, how would you characterize the comfort/ride? What other SUVs or sedans are comparable? Realize the vehicle is quick on road and capable off road but trying to determine how well it can serve as a luxury vehicle on road.

Thanks in advance for the feedback
Sean

·
Registered
9 Posts
From what the reports are so far it is great on road. Is it like a Benz SUV, probably not, but then again it isn't 130k
Exactly. Reports are that it's awesome but its possible that the reports are from people that might be biased and they are not me. What if, for one reason or another, I dislike the driving experience?

I mean, its a big purchase and I'd feel more comfortable if I was able to check it out and put hands on one before I bought it.

I was just wondering if there are ever opportunities to do that.

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
278 Posts
as it gets closer to delivery they were offering at home test drives. It was something you had to do through your account page. I would gladly take one of those when they are offered to me.

Regardless I really wish Rivian would do a weekend at RaceWay park in NJ. Offroad, OnRoad driving and it is close to NY/Central NJ/Phili they would get lots of people.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been asking for months for the opportunity to drive regardless of where in the country as long as I have a few days notice to work on logistics. None so far.

Also surmised that the ride might be not as smooth as the R1T due to significantly shorter wheelbase but hoped the added weight of the greenhouse may negative some of the jounce.

I am hoping to obtain the elusive one or two car garage (with a sports car) that thus far I have been unable to obtain. Have a Cayenne GTS which has been nice. Also recently had a Mercedes S65 which also was nice plus a Lotus Evora S and M2 Competition for fun.

Really hoping the R1S serves as a DD with luxury trappings and SUV capability to which I can add a sports car for backroad fun. This November will be 4 years ... hopefully soon.

Thanks to all for your feedback and have a great day,
Sean in the Indianapolis area

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’ve been sending requests to CS about opportunity to get behind the wheel. They keep telling me that first drive events are being scheduled. So far I have heard nothing - Aug 2020 preordered R1S. Anyone know of New England events being held?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just took delivery of my R1S and have been driving it a lot. At the highest suspension setting, the ride is very smooth. Not BWM smooth, but its comfortable. As you lower the suspension, the ride gets decidedly bumpier, and in the lowest Sport setting, it's uncomfortable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I haven’t driven a lot but I think I actually prefer sport mode on the second to the lowest setting. I’ve been driving a model 3 lately which has a much harsher ride than the R1S in sport. All purpose mode at medium height is ok for around town but for high speed freeway turns I found it to be too soft. It isn’t so bad if you’re manually steering and turning smoothly but with self driving it’s sometimes not so smooth and over corrects and the body roll can be a bit frightening. I expect over time the self diving algorithms will improve to handle turns better.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have been asking for months for the opportunity to drive regardless of where in the country as long as I have a few days notice to work on logistics. None so far.

Also surmised that the ride might be not as smooth as the R1T due to significantly shorter wheelbase but hoped the added weight of the greenhouse may negative some of the jounce.

I am hoping to obtain the elusive one or two car garage (with a sports car) that thus far I have been unable to obtain. Have a Cayenne GTS which has been nice. Also recently had a Mercedes S65 which also was nice plus a Lotus Evora S and M2 Competition for fun.

Really hoping the R1S serves as a DD with luxury trappings and SUV capability to which I can add a sports car for backroad fun. This November will be 4 years ... hopefully soon.

Thanks to all for your feedback and have a great day,
Sean in the Indianapolis area
Don't think that will happen with the weight. Have a 9114S, you're not going to approach sports car handling with a Rivian, physics are just against you. No sports car is above 4000lbs, not alone, 7000lbs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts