Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So our 3 week old R1S Launch edition decided last night that it was done -- "critical battery failure" with no warning, and it had to be towed to the nearest service center. Today it remains parked on the unguarded, unlocked lot at the service center, and the car is completely dead but unlocked. Since there is no way to manually lock the car and the lot is wide open, the car will be sitting there unprotected for the next 4 days until our "service appointment." Gotta say, as much as I enjoyed driving it for the past 3 weeks, this is an unpleasant reminder of the risks of buying a complicated and expensive device from a brand new company. It seems like many others in the forums are reporting similar sudden death experiences from their Rivians -- any experience with repair time and whether the problems recur?

· Registered
112 Posts
Sounds like the dreaded 12v battery issue. If it is, Rivian really need to sort this out asap, and for anyone who had to pay out of pocket for the ridiculously expensive 12v batteries to be replaced, they need to be reimbursed.

I suspect this will turn into a recall.

· Registered
403 Posts
Rivian centers have 24 hour security.

My R1T went dead last week. Was the CGM (Central Gateway Module). Rivian tried replacing the 12V batteries, that didn't work. Had to have it towed. They discovered it was the CGM. Mine had the opposite problem. Was locked and couldn't get in,

It's a new company. Just like with Tesla in the early days, there are growing pains. Part of being an early adopter. Not fun when it happens. But, it will get fixed and they'll improve over time.

For me, it's a unique truck that doesn't have that mass production feel that Fords and Chevys do. After driving a Tesla for 9 years, I hated every big automaker production EV that was available. The way they operate are so different from the restricted uses implemented by the big manufacturers. So, for me, the trade off is worth it.

Try to be patient and I think the benefits will outweigh the negatives in the long run.

Hope they get you back up and running quickly.

· Vendor
5 Posts
If you didnt leave anything in the car, then it being unlocked should be ok.

I hope they get you fixed and back on the road soon. Hopefully it is something minimal like a 12v failure, which is a simple fix.

Are they putting you in a rental or anything?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts