Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I placed my order last week and have been researching what the heck I ordered. =P

I'd like to share the list of features I found common in luxury SUVs (X5, GLE, RX, etc.) in the ~$70k range back when I bought two SUVs in 2016 and compare it to the R1S. I will update this as more information comes in. Share what you'd expect from the R1S and help fill in the blanks.

Disclaimers: Yes, I know the R1S costs more. Yes, this list is not exhaustive and the R1S has many additional features. Yes, I know a lot of these are standard in non-luxury cars now. Let's hope Rivian can deliver.

Last updated: 4/12/2021

FeatureOthers (above $60k, Optional becomes Yes)Rivian R1S
General & Convenience
Key-less entry/startYY?
Remote startYY?
Power liftgateYY
Height-adjustable liftgateY?
Touch-free liftgateOptional?
Lower tailgate capacity if available400lbs (X5), 440lbs (RR)?
Driving
Dynamic cruise controlYDriver+
Lane centering / keepingOptionalDriver+
Hill assistOptionalY?
Adaptive (or adjustable) suspensionOptional"adaptive damping", adjustable 8.1" to 14.4"
Seating and comfort
Leather seatsOptionalVegan-only (a.k.a. pleather)
Power memory seat adjustments8-way and upY?
Power-adjustable lumbarOptionalY
Heated front seatsYY
Ventilated front seatsOptional, >$80k = cooledAdventure+ only
Sport/side bolsteringOptionalY
Heated steering wheelOptionalY
HEPA filtersOptional? (let's hope so with all that off-road dust)
Navigation and entertainment
Screen10" and up15.6" touchscreen
Speakers14-16 speakers, 545W to 835WAdventure+: 22/1400W
Siri Eyes FreeY?, Alexa available
Speed-adjusted volumeY?
Qi chargerOptional"Wireless inductive charger"
Lights
LED headlampsOptionalY
Turning/adaptive headlampsOptionalY
Puddle lampsY?
Windows
Panoramic sunroofYY
Rain-sensing wipersY?
Power one-touch up/down windowsY?
Parking and Mirrors
Rear cameraY"11 cameras"
Birds-eye/360-degree tops-down viewYField of vision 360º
Auto-dimming rear-viewY?
Auto-dimming side mirrorsY?
Power folding side mirrorsY?
Blind Spot MonitoringYI hope so!
Heated side mirrorsOptional?
Exterior
Wheels19" standard and upY
Self-healing paintOptional?
Bells and Whistles
HUDOptionalNo :(
Automated parallel parkingOptional?

·
Registered
R1S, Forrest Green/Black
147 Posts
Do people really like the HUD? I have had it twice in the last 20 years and to be honest it was ok but not something I would jump for. My wife hated it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do people really like the HUD? I have had it twice in the last 20 years and to be honest it was ok but not something I would jump for. My wife hated it.
I have it now on my Volvo XC60, and to be hounest, I often forget that I have HUD😅

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have one now and I love it. It shows me the outside temp when I turn the car on, my speed, direction, speed limit, and more. No need to take my eyes off the road.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I have one now and I love it. It shows me the outside temp when I turn the car on, my speed, direction, speed limit, and more. No need to take my eyes off the road.
I have HUD in my current vehicle, and I find I still have to "refocus" my eyes to read the hud and then refocus to return to the road. Do you not have to do the same?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have HUD in my current vehicle, and I find I still have to "refocus" my eyes to read the hud and then refocus to return to the road. Do you not have to do the same?
Nope, they put the HUD far back enough and I guess my eyes refocus quick enough that I don't have to strain. Anyway, if you have difficulty focusing on the HUD, you must have a really hard time looking at the gauge cluster? It would be nice if Rivian at least had it as an option - I know it's not for everyone but it is an option in most "luxury cars" out there.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Nope, they put the HUD far back enough and I guess my eyes refocus quick enough that I don't have to strain. Anyway, if you have difficulty focusing on the HUD, you must have a really hard time looking at the gauge cluster? It would be nice if Rivian at least had it as an option - I know it's not for everyone but it is an option in most "luxury cars" out there.
I never said I had a hard time... Just that the focal length is different, and I have to look at the windshield to read the HUD, compared to looking 100+ feet down the road. If I'm properly focused on what's coming up on the road, then the HUD is unreadable.

Looking at the HUD and looking at the instrument cluster require the same effort. The benefit to the HUD is simply that it's higher up so you don't have to move your eyes as far down.

I do agree that Rivian should have included a HUD, however.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I never said I had a hard time... Just that the focal length is different, and I have to look at the windshield to read the HUD, compared to looking 100+ feet down the road. If I'm properly focused on what's coming up on the road, then the HUD is unreadable.

Looking at the HUD and looking at the instrument cluster require the same effort. The benefit to the HUD is simply that it's higher up so you don't have to move your eyes as far down.

I do agree that Rivian should have included a HUD, however.
I never said you had a hard time. But my bad, I didn't mean to imply you had difficulty either. I looked out the window and I do find it easier to refocus to something that is windshield distance as opposed to dashboard distance. Something to try.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Same. I have it in my Audi Allroad and forget that it’s there, so I wouldn’t miss it at all.
Wouldn't it be more useful in an electric vehicle? Especially if you can tell how much braking to apply to use the regenerative braking system as opposed to the physical brakes?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’ve been in cars with good HUDs and cars with bad ones. I think BMW does one of the best jobs with information displayed through the HUD. My Lexus RX and Mercedes S-Class HUDs weren’t worth using. The newer model Lexus LS has a good HUD.

All that being said. Having had a few cars with a HUD I’m ok without one until the technology drastically improves.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Wouldn't it be more useful in an electric vehicle? Especially if you can tell how much braking to apply to use the regenerative braking system as opposed to the physical brakes?
If you use a "one pedal driving" mode, which many EVs support, you don't have to worry about modulating the brakes. Reducing the throttle will bring on regenerative breaking. Taking your foot completely off the throttle should be maximum re-gen. Use the brake pedal for hydraulic braking, when necessary.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you use a "one pedal driving" mode, which many EVs support, you don't have to worry about modulating the brakes. Reducing the throttle will bring on regenerative breaking. Taking your foot completely off the throttle should be maximum re-gen. Use the brake pedal for hydraulic braking, when necessary.
Good point. I've never tried one pedal in an EV. If the Rivian has massive motors, would the regen brake force be strong too? I.e. if you take your foot off the accelerator, it would brake fairly heavily? This might not be that desirable either.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Good point. I've never tried one pedal in an EV. If the Rivian has massive motors, would the regen brake force be strong too? I.e. if you take your foot off the accelerator, it would brake fairly heavily? This might not be that desirable either.
It will likely have different settings for regen braking.

You will get used to it very fast, it also makes the car feel way more controllable as you easily control speed with the accelerator, gives you a way more confident feel.

·
Registered
817 Posts
The EV can control how much regen is allowed, via software.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think the feature that I am going to miss moving from Ford Edge to any other car is the rearview camera washer. In Ontario, when it snows, roads get salted. This blocks the camera almost fully. We had a Honda CRV before and I had to manually wipe the camera almost every morning. I can't imagine going back to that. With the Rivian there will be way much more cameras :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
I placed my order last week and have been researching what the heck I ordered. =P

I'd like to share the list of features I found common in luxury SUVs (X5, GLE, RX, etc.) in the ~$70k range back when I bought two SUVs in 2016 and compare it to the R1S. I will update this as more information comes in. Share what you'd expect from the R1S and help fill in the blanks.

Disclaimers: Yes, I know the R1S costs more. Yes, this list is not exhaustive and the R1S has many additional features. Yes, I know a lot of these are standard in non-luxury cars now. Let's hope Rivian can deliver.

Last updated: 4/7/2021

FeatureOthers (above $60k, Optional becomes Yes)Rivian R1S
General
Key-less entry/startYY?
Remote startYY?
Power liftgateYY
Height-adjustable liftgateY?
Lower tailgate capacity if available400lbs (X5), 440lbs (RR)?
Driving
Dynamic cruise controlYDriver+
Lane centering / keepingOptionalDriver+
Hill assistOptionalY?
Adaptive (or adjustable) suspensionOptional?, adjustable 8.1" to 14.4"
Seating and comfort
Leather seatsOptionalVegan-only (a.k.a. pleather)
Power memory seat adjustments8-way and upY?
Power-adjustable lumbarOptionalY
Heated front seatsYY
Ventilated front seatsOptional, >$80k = cooledAdventure+ only
Sport/side bolsteringOptionalY
Heated steering wheelOptionalY
HEPA filtersOptional? (let's hope so with all that off-road dust)
Navigation and entertainment
Screen10" and up15.6" touchscreen
Speakers14-16 speakers, 545W to 835WAdventure+: 22/1400W
Siri Eyes FreeY?, Alexa available
Speed-adjusted volumeY?
Qi chargerOptional"Wireless inductive charger"
Lights
LED headlampsOptionalY
Turning/adaptive headlampsOptional?
Puddle lampsY?
Windows
Panoramic sunroofYY
Rain-sensing wipersY?
Power one-touch up/down windowsY?
Parking
Rear cameraY"11 cameras"
Birds-eye/360-degree tops-down viewYField of vision 360º
Auto-dimming rear-viewY?
Auto-dimming side mirrorsY?
Power folding side mirrorsY?
Heated side mirrorsOptional?
Exterior
Wheels19" standard and upY
Self-healing paintOptional?
Bells and Whistles
HUDOptionalNo :(
Automated parallel parkingOptional?
I’m almost positive I saw an article that said there would be adaptive headlamps. If you do a little digging I think you’ll be able to cross that one off the list or put a “Y” in the column.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The 2014 Mercedes B class that I just sold to Carvana had a regen breaking mode that was tied to the front radar. It automatically adjusted regen breaking based on the car in front. We never used it. Always drove in most aggressive regen mode.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts