Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone can provide total height of an R1S with the ski rack installed. I have a shorter garage and wonder if I have the clearance for it. Currently drive a Q7 with a Inno rack on it and it barely clears the door. Realize likely will have to forgo the box full time but would be nice to be able to leave the ski rack on.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Height without the roof rails is listed as 78”. Rivian has the roof rails listed as 4.24”. I just measured My Yakama ski racks they add 5” and another ~2” above that loaded with marker Xcell alpine bindings on Volkl racetiger a with a piston plate. So looking at 78+4.25+5 ~90.25” and +another 2” to ~92” loaded with alpine skis. You can lower the Rivian suspension 2” below above. But still with it in low looking at ~80” with the OEM crossbars and no ski rack.

A word of caution with that. My brother has a GC trailhawk with air. He could fit under his garage door with his skinny warrior on with it in low. That said he was in a hurry one time and didn’t lower it, trashed a cargo basket, roof rails, crossbars, and his sunroof.

I have a similar situation with my LX570. With Yakama round bars I can swing the racks down (picture) and make it in/out of my garage with the rack on. Can’t do it with skis on though. I have to load the skis outside the garage then I put my trash can in the middle so I don’t just drive in. I also use this card as a reminder.

Wheel Tire Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Car Steering part

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info and pictures! Your rack looks interesting. Can it be driven with the racks in that position? Also wondering if there are lower profile racks out there that might work better. Again, I have never owned a ski rack, only a low profile box.

Height without the roof rails is listed as 78”. Rivian has the roof rails listed as 4.24”. I just measured My Yakama ski racks they add 5” and another ~2” above that loaded with marker Xcell alpine bindings on Volkl racetiger a with a piston plate. So looking at 78+4.25+5 ~90.25” and +another 2” to ~92” loaded with alpine skis. You can lower the Rivian suspension 2” below above. But still with it in low looking at ~80” with the OEM crossbars and no ski rack.

A word of caution with that. My brother has a GC trailhawk with air. He could fit under his garage door with his skinny warrior on with it in low. That said he was in a hurry one time and didn’t lower it, trashed a cargo basket, roof rails, crossbars, and his sunroof.

I have a similar situation with my LX570. With Yakama round bars I can swing the racks down (picture) and make it in/out of my garage with the rack on. Can’t do it with skis on though. I have to load the skis outside the garage then I put my trash can in the middle so I don’t just drive in. I also use this card as a reminder.

View attachment 6428 View attachment 6429

·
Registered
401 Posts
Thanks for the info and pictures! Your rack looks interesting. Can it be driven with the racks in that position? Also wondering if there are lower profile racks out there that might work better. Again, I have never owned a ski rack, only a low profile box.
I have them folded down like this unless I have skis on top. It also cuts down on wind noise.
I took them off 2 weeks ago after the resort closed last weekend in May. We may hit the backcountry this weekend if the weather holds out if I do I’ll take some more pictures as the rack goes on and off in ~5min.

To be clear they only fold down if you have the round crossbars. My hope is since Yakima is supplying Rivian there will be Yakama towers that work with their round bars by the time I can get a max pack R1T. I’ve had many types of crossbars and for me the round bars are by far the best. I use the 78” on my LX. With the 78’s I can run two skyboxes (which I do when we travel long distances for ski races and camps) or one skybox and a skinny warrior basket.

these are the round cross bars

Here is the ski rack, I keep 2 sets on since I’m never hauling <4 pairs of skis and most of the time 8 pairs. Also, most of the winter (November through May) I use the ski racks daily.

·
Registered
401 Posts
As for lower profile, if you are talking alpine skis they can’t be much lower as you have to have space between the rack and roof to clear the bindings. Nordic skis could go lower since the bindings are only ~1” above the ski. Even with that May only get 1” lower.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts