Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just joined this forum today after placing my reservation last week for an R1S. Since I‘ll be configuring my R1S in 2023, do you think I’ll be able to select the Max Pack as my battery?

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
For the R1S they are now calling it the "extended mileage" option. Whether they actually offer it -- who knows! I have queried them several times recently but haven't heard back.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the R1S they are now calling it the "extended mileage" option. Whether they actually offer it -- who knows! I have queried them several times recently but haven't heard back.
Who’s calling it extended mileage and how do you know? If they are, wouldn’t it mean they’ll have the option available?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Who’s calling it extended mileage and how do you know? If they are, wouldn’t it mean they’ll have the option available?
Do a search for all posts by Yossarian and you’ll catch up on a couple years of news and speculation about the R1S and battery configurations. You can safely assume that there will not be deliveries in significant numbers in 2023 of R1’s with anything but the standard large pack.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yup, reservation for R1T maxpack almost two years ago and I was told it would be at the end of 2023. With that said there is speculation that it might be cancelled all together. I figure we will hear more around November. You would think that there should at least be prototype maxpacks rolling around at that time.

·
Registered
467 Posts
The short answer to your question is almost certainly "No", you will not be able to configure your R1S with a Max Battery Park because it's no longer an option for the SUV.

For a bit of context, at the time I placed my pre-order (spring of 2020), the Rivian website indicated that the Max battery pack would be available on both the R1T and the R1S. When the configurator became operational, the Max was an option only for the R1T, and the references to its availability for the R1S disappeared from the website.

Rivian has hinted that there is a larger battery pack for the R1S under development, and the term "longer range" is one that was used by reps during chats on a couple of occasions. This could mean a battery with more capacity than the 135 kWh Long Range that's presently the only option for the R1S, but less than the 180 kWh Max that is only offered on the R1T. Rivian has not provided any official information on this however, so all of the above amounts to not much more than speculation.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'm not aware of an announcement formally stating that the Max will no longer be an option for the R1S and have never heard or seen Rivian officially refer to either "long range" or "extended range" with respect to a larger battery pack for the SUV. I'm not saying that either didn't happen. just that I'm unaware of it if they have.

With nothing official from Rivian, we can only read the tea leaves and speculate. There there is no longer any language on the R1S webpage that references the Max, and there doesn't even appear to be a reference to a battery pack other than the 135 kWH/316 mi Long Range any longer. That seems to indicate at least a delay in the Max, if not it outright cancellation buy again, with nothing official from Rivian, that's speculation.

In several chats with CS iover the past few months, more than one has hinted that the the R1S will not be offered with the Max, and that Rivian is working on a replacement with less capacity, dubbed the "longer range" pack internally. That too is far from being authoritative, though it is consistent with what we see (or more accurately, don't see) on the R1S web page.

Informed speculation is the best we can do absent official information from Rivian, and until we hear from the company what's on the cards relative to a longer range R1S, I'm keeping my reservation for the R1T Max in place. There is more speculation (surprise!) that Rivian plans to send delivery window updates in the next few months, so perhaps we'll know more soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I asked the rep I was chatting with today if Rivian will offer a higher range batter pack to me since I’ll be configuring my vehicle towards the end of 2023 anyway. They said, “Yes, possibly!”

·
Registered
65 Posts
I asked the rep I was chatting with today if Rivian will offer a higher range batter pack to me since I’ll be configuring my vehicle towards the end of 2023 anyway. They said, “Yes, possibly!”
Yep, that sounds about right. CS is always fun to chat with but I’m sure they are very well trained to not give concrete answers to questions that have not been addressed by Rivian in an official info release. I’m sure they’d be happy to tell me that “it’s possible you’ll be contacted by your guide tomorrow”. They’re not wrong, it’s just unlikely.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I asked the rep I was chatting with today if Rivian will offer a higher range batter pack to me since I’ll be configuring my vehicle towards the end of 2023 anyway. They said, Yes, possibly!
Well that settles it then @Green_Neck. We now know for sure that there's a definite chance that Rivian may offer a higher capacity battery for the R1S at some point in the near or far future, if they don't decide not to offer it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts