Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
There are by far worse things in a capitalist society. Pretty low on my list if somebody has decided they really want one now and there's somebody else who's decided they really don't want theirs or it can wait. The unfortunate thing is that it drives people to scalp or simply insert them themselves in front of people that actually want a product. They can all burn in hell as far as I'm concerned.

If you're into PC gaming or GPUs, it's been a nightmare the last couple of years. Companies that make the video cards give lip service to helping out actual PC gaming fans but have done nothing. The list price for a video card has doubled over the insane list prices they were already at. Top of the line GPU should only cost like 400 to 500 bucks. But unfortunately, there's too many people out there that can drop $1,400 on a video card that should cost $400.

At least I'm pretty sure if buy the Rivian in the next month or so that they couldn't have sold it for 15 to 20 grand and made a nice little profit and are marking it up to closer to 70 or 80 just because.

·
Registered
936 Posts
What type of posts need to be modded? I'm not following...

The only reason why I see any consternation over something like selling a reservation would be if Rivian specifically created a system to prevent that from happening, was explicit about it at the pre-order stage in writing, then someone decided to buy up a bunch of early reservations with no intention to actually fulfill their orders (but rather just to profit from selling them). Then the impact would be that other pre-order customers would actually get to move UP in the line (as others drop off the pre-order list).

This whole process of selling reservations seems to be ambiguous at best right now, risky for those transferring / buying, and potentially even more profitable for pre-order holders to keep their reservation, then sell (once delivery was made) barring tax implications.

·
Registered
168 Posts
What type of posts need to be modded? I'm not following...

The only reason why I see any consternation over something like selling a reservation would be if Rivian specifically created a system to prevent that from happening, was explicit about it at the pre-order stage in writing, then someone decided to buy up a bunch of early reservations with no intention to actually fulfill their orders (but rather just to profit from selling them). Then the impact would be that other pre-order customers would actually get to move UP in the line (as others drop off the pre-order list).

This whole process of selling reservations seems to be ambiguous at best right now, risky for those transferring / buying, and potentially even more profitable for pre-order holders to keep their reservation, then sell (once delivery was made) barring tax implications.
Besides being uninteresting and not useful:

You may not:
  • Use the Web Site to advertise or solicit to anyone to buy or sell products or services, to cease using the Web Site, to visit another competing Web Site, or to make donations of any kind, without our express written approval.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Actually, I do find the offers to buy and sell somewhat interesting. It's almost like a gauge on perceived value. If the offers were in the hundreds they would probably not be so interesting.

Also, I wouldn't get your knickers all twisted - nobody is trying to sell you a toaster oven or a time-share.

It's a Rivian forum and people are talking about selling & buying Rivian reservations. Whats the big deal?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Is there any actual evidence that anyone has sent or received 5-10K for a reservation for a Rivian?
Well, the price hikes probably brought the value of the reservation a bit closer to that toaster Freely was talking about. 😂
I'll take someone's reservation if they give me a toaster oven with it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.