Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
The whole idea of a max pack right now is kind of a sketchy one. Originally, Rivian said they were going to release Max pack first, on all their vehicles, then they backed down and did this Launch Edition with the middle pack.

It is getting me wondering about whether they have the technology to do it or not to do a Max Pack.

For specifically the R1S, I talked to Rivian at the First Mile event, and they stated, that "While there will be a bigger pack in the R1S, they anticipate it to have less range than the R1T future Max Pack."

Take that for what it is worth.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Like @tyemoe said it's a big muddy about the big battery pack options but on Rivian's website they say that the R1S can be equipped with the 316 mile "Large pack" while the R1T can be equipped with the 400 mile "Max Pack".

What battery options are available?
You can configure the R1S with the EPA estimated 316 mile Large pack, and the R1T with either the EPA estimated 314 mile Large pack or the projected 400+ mile Max pack.

We’ll announce the timing for a longer range R1S and a 250+ mile pack for both the R1T and the R1S after we launch. Note that the battery pack can’t be changed to a different size after installation.

If you’ve already configured and want to choose a different battery pack before you take delivery, you can update your configuration from the bottom of your preorder detail page in the Rivian Account.

Learn more about the batteries and options to choose from in the R1T and the R1S configurators.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Anyone know if and when Rivian will offer the max battery pack as an option on the R1S?
Rivian has never let anyone configure a R1S with a Max Pack - it simply hasn't been something you could "pre-order" yet. Right now it's an intended feature that they're clearly working on. We heard at one point that it might only be available in the 5-seat configuration, or that the R1S Max Pack may not be as big as the R1T Max Pack, but these are all basically rumors. There are no EPA estimated ranges for the R1T Max Pack yet, and I would expect to see that first before any information about the R1S Max Pack comes out. Rivian has been saying for a long time that they will make an announcement in January 2022 about the R1S Max Pack configuration. That announcement could be anything from estimated availability date to won't be available on the '22 model. Regardless, Launch Editions are shipping first, Max Packs second, and while there might be some overlap I expect with all the pressure on keeping the production numbers high and all the pressure from people wanting their vehicle NOW, the priority will be LE and Large Pack configurations because you can build a lot more of those with the same number of batteries.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.