Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

R1S - Panoramic Roof

16K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  FanFLelectric 
#1 ·
Is anyone able to provide additional information on the Panoramic Roof for the R1S? Will there be a shade/cover to pull and block the sun? Or is it always going to be open/exposed to the sun?

#2 ·
Hey @jcor! Welcome to the forum! Rivian has an optional electrochromic glass which will change from opaque to transparent with how much sun there is. for the fixed glass panel I imagine there would be a cover.

#24 ·
Hey @jcor! Welcome to the forum! Rivian has an optional electrochromic glass which will change from opaque to transparent with how much sun there is. for the fixed glass panel I imagine there would be a cover.

The idea of having a fixed glass roof panel without a cover, doesn’t seem to be a good idea. Cold winters equals more heat loss, more heater time, more battery usage. Not to mention noise in inclement weather conditions.

#3 ·
Thanks JimmyEV - I noticed they did not highlight the 'electrochromic' feature on the specs for the roof, just 'panoramic', and was looking for confirmation.

I just called the support line and asked - Electrochromic is NOT part of the Launch offer, just a tinted glass. I asked how much tint and if they could compare it to another window on the vehicle and she could not. Just said to wait for the configurator to see pics.

This is interesting and not something I considered being a thing until now. I love the idea of the Panoramic roof but I live in the South and typically travel further south more often than anywhere else. That means the sun will beat the crap out of the interior and road trips will have the sun beaming in the entire time. Parking outside?- you are coming back to an extremely hot interior with direct sunlight on everything. Want to park and wait while your car charges??? Not if you have to sit in the sun the entire time. Weird thing to think about dealing with...Anyone have an idea of how strong the tint is?

#4 ·
Thanks JimmyEV - I noticed they did not highlight the 'electrochromic' feature on the specs for the roof, just 'panoramic', and was looking for confirmation.

I just called the support line and asked - Electrochromic is NOT part of the Launch offer, just a tinted glass. I asked how much tint and if they could compare it to another window on the vehicle and she could not. Just said to wait for the configurator to see pics.

This is interesting and not something I considered being a thing until now. I love the idea of the Panoramic roof but I live in the South and typically travel further south more often than anywhere else. That means the sun will beat the crap out of the interior and road trips will have the sun beaming in the entire time. Parking outside?- you are coming back to an extremely hot interior with direct sunlight on everything. Want to park and wait while your car charges??? Not if you have to sit in the sun the entire time. Weird thing to think about dealing with...Anyone have an idea of how strong the tint is?

When I called and asked this question, they said there is NO sunshade

#14 ·
From Rivian's website/FAQ:
Will additional roof options be available?
At launch, both the R1T and the R1S will be available with our all-glass panoramic roof. An open-air removable roof option will be offered mid-2022.
Learn more about the experience and the interior of the R1T and the R1S.

Reactions: Babbuino
#16 ·
I'm good with the panoramic roof being a tinted glass. I just hope I can insert a sunshade of some kind to block out the sun on road trips or parking in direct sunlight. In my limited research I've seen a sunshade Tesla owners can pop in relatively easy (tabs of the sunshade insert in between the edges where glass meets roof) and that seems to work fine...but I've had zero experience with these. Looking forward to the test drive to get an idea of what it's like.

#20 ·
From Rivian customer service.

Thank you for reaching out to the Customer Engagement Center, we are happy to be here to help you along your journey with Rivian. For our roof options, we will only have the Panoramic all-glass roof at launch. It is designed to keep UV rays out and is optimized for comfort and can move from translucent to opaque on command. We will be offering an open-air removable option in mid-2022 for both vehicles.

#21 ·
For our roof options, we will only have the Panoramic all-glass roof at launch. It is designed to keep UV rays out and is optimized for comfort and can move from translucent to opaque on command. We will be offering an open-air removable option in mid-2022 for both vehicles.
The associated issue for later resolve is the tinting of windows. Our current SUV has dark tinted windows in the rear doors and adjacent to the cargo area. It is hoped we can get that factory installed rather than have to go to local tint film shop to have that added.

#22 ·
And now they walked back their statement.

"
It is nice to hear from you again so soon! I wanted to let you know that we have recently updated some of the details about our panoramic glass roof that I wanted to share with you. I previously gave you some incorrect information that I want to clear up, so you have all of the correct details!

We had initially hoped to have a roof with a command option for tinting, however that is not available at this time. I apologize for my error. What we will have is a panoramic all-glass roof that has tinting that has been carefully optimized to deliver high transparency while keeping UV out. "

#23 ·
And now they walked back their statement.

"
It is nice to hear from you again so soon! I wanted to let you know that we have recently updated some of the details about our panoramic glass roof that I wanted to share with you. I previously gave you some incorrect information that I want to clear up, so you have all of the correct details!

We had initially hoped to have a roof with a command option for tinting, however that is not available at this time. I apologize for my error. What we will have is a panoramic all-glass roof that has tinting that has been carefully optimized to deliver high transparency while keeping UV out. "
We may be seeking to have the top of the SUV covered in solar panel material, the new film material which could be applied to the now only "tinted" glass. Do not want that in Florida, especially from April through October.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.