Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
R1S Launch Edition, Launch Green
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First long highway trip with new R1S, from Bellevue WA to White Rock, Canada and return. Temperatues were cool, 45-50 degrees F. Blowers on low with heat set at 69 internally. Battery charged to 100%, with only 3-5 charging cycles on this battery pack that has about 600 miles on it.

Total Distance Travelled: 242.8 Miles
Average Speed: 50 mph (note that cruise control was set to 65 for both directions, MPH average lowered from in town travel at destination that was less than 5 miles)
Duration: 4 hours, 51 mins
Efficiency: 2.23 mi/kWh
Total Energy: 109.1 KWh

When I parked back at home I had 13% remaining, calculated to be 42 miles
Tire Wheel Car Automotive tire Vehicle

· Registered
582 Posts
Yeah not great considering that your CC was only at 65. I don't think I'll be able to bring myself to do that. At 72 mph, which is the best I can do, I would therefore expect 285*65^2/72^2 = 230 miles, under your conditions. That's actually not that bad, by then I'd want to stop anyway ...

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah not great considering that your CC was only at 65. I don't think I'll be able to bring myself to do that. At 72 mph, which is the best I can do, I would therefore expect 285*65^2/72^2 = 230 miles, under your conditions. That's actually not that bad, by then I'd want to stop anyway ...
I am wondering if they will be able to get improvements with software updates over time. I have head that a lot of the Tesla efficiency is sw vs hw...

· Registered
582 Posts
I am wondering if they will be able to get improvements with software updates over time. I have head that a lot of the Tesla efficiency is sw vs hw...
Probably won't move the needle much. Big vehicle, heavy with big cross-section. I'd wager on 5% max. Maybe if they develop an ultra-efficient mode range will go up a bit more but I would never use that.

· Registered
3 Posts
First long highway trip with new R1S, from Bellevue WA to White Rock, Canada and return. Temperatues were cool, 45-50 degrees F. Blowers on low with heat set at 69 internally. Battery charged to 100%, with only 3-5 charging cycles on this battery pack that has about 600 miles on it.

Total Distance Travelled: 242.8 Miles
Average Speed: 50 mph (note that cruise control was set to 65 for both directions, MPH average lowered from in town travel at destination that was less than 5 miles)
Duration: 4 hours, 51 mins
Efficiency: 2.23 mi/kWh
Total Energy: 109.1 KWh

When I parked back at home I had 13% remaining, calculated to be 42 miles
View attachment 8561
Thank you for taking the time to record the data. I pre ordered mine almost two years ago now and haven't heard a word. I am disappointed with the results. I live in New England and based on this information winters would be tough on distance. to all of you with R!S cars pleas publish more "real" data like this. such a big help

· Registered
12 Posts
I'm really curious to see how these do in colder weather. While 90-95% of my driving is close to home and shouldn't be an issue even if it is cold I'm wondering how often I might need to stop when making my trek to Lake Placid during the winter to see relatives. The Northern route 87 doesn't have a whole lot of chargers at the moment as they are renovating the pitstop areas.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Updated with full trip

Here is another run with colder temps, half of this run was at 40-43 degrees, half at 35-40 degrees. Highway travel, with reverse trip nearly the same route. Some traffic on return lowered the average speed, but was doing 72 on highway, and 50 on smaller state routes. Interior temp set at 70 degrees, heated seats running.

Summary - 254 miles, avg speed 46 mph, Driving time 5h 30m, Efficiency 2.1 mi/kWh. Total energy 121 kWh

Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Black

1 - 15 of 15 Posts