Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
R1T Adventure, Compass Yellow, Ocean Coast, Max Pack... HOPING for the removable roof
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Serious question here...

Why do basically no car manufacturers have rear windows that can "roll down" into the tailgate anymore?

Toyota does, on the 4-Runner and Sequoia (and Lexus might on their versions of those SUVs), but that seems to be it. For me, it's an amazing feature, especially for those with dogs (to allow them open-air out of the back), but I can see a lot of other applications (where, with a split-window, you have to leave the window popped up like a giant spoiler, in order to allow for loads that hang out of the back (too long for the SUV cargo area).

I realize it would add weight to the tailgate (having the motor and window inside), but I can't imagine that's the reasoning behind the dearth of availability in the market. Are there safety issues with a window down while driving? I just don't get it.

Side note: I'm ordering an R1T, not an R1S, but I thought some of you (smarter-than-me-when-it-comes-to-cars) people on this forum might be able to explain this to my foggy brain. I think a retractable window on the R1T would be sweet too, but I'm not sure there's enough room (vertically) with the gear tunnel (so I kinda get that one -- even though other trucks have that).

Side side note: Not my 4R or doggos. Just added for a visual aide. ;)

THANKS!

Car Dog Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Photograph

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had this on my old Bronco.
The big piece of glass would always have trouble sealing.
Most bronco's would eventually rust out slighting from the gaps in the bottom seal and only go up 80% of the way. It is a pretty heavy piece of glass to move up and down.

·
Registered
2018 Tesla M3 LR / 2021 VW ID.4 AWD
115 Posts
The new Fisker Ocean will have California mode which opens the rear window as well as the small side windows behind the C pillars. (not that the Ocean competes with the R1S).

·
Registered
R1T Adventure, Compass Yellow, Ocean Coast, Max Pack... HOPING for the removable roof
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had this on my old Bronco.
The big piece of glass would always have trouble sealing.
Most bronco's would eventually rust out slighting from the gaps in the bottom seal and only go up 80% of the way. It is a pretty heavy piece of glass to move up and down.
OK. That makes sense, if there's a sealing/gap issue that must be easier on a door to work with than on a tailgate. Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
OK. That makes sense, if there's a sealing/gap issue that must be easier on a door to work with than on a tailgate. Thanks!
I have a Toyota 4Runner and two 50-lb dogs. The rear slider window is awesome and I've had zero issues with it sealing, with rust, or anything else over 12 years and 220k miles. I wish the R1S would have a slider window for our dogs; the split rear gate looks pretty high (even on the landing page of Rivian, the kid basically has to chuck stuff into the back of an R1S). I'm already thinking of what kind of ramp I'll eventually need for the back of the R1S despite one of my dogs having excellent vertical with jumping.

The only thing that would make the 4Runner cargo area even better for dogs is to have c-pillar vents. My friends who have 4Runners and [some versions of] Sequoias have similar positive experiences with the rear sliding window. Some Tundras have the same feature. The Lexus SUVs unfortunately do not have the same slider window (GX has barn-door, LX has split rear gate).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts