Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have an issue with the fact that the R1S has a split tailgate? The lower tailgate just gets in the way and makes it harder to reach in to get your stuff in/out of the cargo space. It's a problem especially for shorter people (with less reach). Maybe you can leave it up but that's not ideal either because it's still in the way and limiting your reach into the cargo space. I don't understand what Rivian's thinking was on this design. Why not just make it a single tailgate like every other SUV/minivan on the market? There's a reason that the single tailgate design works better.

On the other hand, the R1T tailgate folds down 180 degrees so it's actually easier to reach your stuff in the bed compared to other trucks. That makes a lot more sense.

·
Registered
64 Posts
... On the other hand, the R1T tailgate folds down 180 degrees so it's actually easier to reach your stuff in the bed compared to other trucks. That makes a lot more sense.
Sadly, the 180 tailgate option has been removed, at least for now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for pointing that out. I had not seen that they dropped the 180 tailgate (ugh). Was seriously considering configuring our order for an R1S, but the main things holding me back are the split tailgate and all the confusion about the cargo space and how the seats either do or do not fold flat. For us, the utility, usability, and accessibility of the cargo space are paramount in the purchase decision. It seems they did not move the needle forward on this front. Absolutely love everything else about it though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Anyone else have an issue with the fact that the R1S has a split tailgate? The lower tailgate just gets in the way and makes it harder to reach in to get your stuff in/out of the cargo space. It's a problem especially for shorter people (with less reach). Maybe you can leave it up but that's not ideal either because it's still in the way and limiting your reach into the cargo space. I don't understand what Rivian's thinking was on this design. Why not just make it a single tailgate like every other SUV/minivan on the market? There's a reason that the single tailgate design works better.
I had a split tailgate on my LR4, and, after a brief adjustment period, I came to love it. I wish I had it now. It really doesn’t get in the way of you leave it up. My wife is 5’4” and had no problems with it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It might be fine for groceries and smaller items, but the main issue I have is with larger items (like my bike). When it's up, it makes the opening smaller so it's awkward. And, when it's down it sticks out beyond the bumper which makes it a reach issue. So, I just don't see what's the real advantage.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
466 Posts
I don't understand what Rivian's thinking was on this design. Why not just make it a single tailgate like every other SUV/minivan on the market?
If you look at the overall design of the R1S, you’ll see a lot of similarity to the Range Rover. Split tailgate being just one of them.

Reactions: TommyT3

·
Registered
29 Posts
As my husband call me to go pick up something from the box stores that is long, I like having the split gate to allow for those occasional awkward length items. Also, I am 5 ft tall and have not had an issue with reaching into the back via the window. Tip toes but doable. I did have a single door in my past vehicle and found it limited possibilities.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Stinger. I did not consider that option of having long items sticking out the back with the lower tailgate down. But, I would also hope that long items would fit inside this (fairly long) SUV with all the seats folded down. Coincidentally my wife is also 5 ft but she really doesn't like the idea of that lower tailgate. We have a minivan now and it's easy for her to put things in the back without tip toes.

According to Rivian support the upper tailgate is powered but the lower tailgate is manually operated. And, it's there because they found it made it easier to load heavier items into the cargo space. It also helps with climbing in/out. I see the purposes for it now, but for us it's not ideal. We just have to decide if it's a trade-off that we can live with.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Could the split tailgate be better for tailgating, when you want a place to sit but don't have folding chairs? Regardless, almost every design decision has pros and cons, and they can't please everyone.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had a honda element for a while with a split tailgate and I have to say I'm with the OP on this one. I did not like it. I'd much rather have a single tailgate, but its not a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for pointing that out. I had not seen that they dropped the 180 tailgate (ugh). Was seriously considering configuring our order for an R1S, but the main things holding me back are the split tailgate and all the confusion about the cargo space and how the seats either do or do not fold flat. For us, the utility, usability, and accessibility of the cargo space are paramount in the purchase decision. It seems they did not move the needle forward on this front. Absolutely love everything else about it though.

On the other hand, the R1T tailgate folds down 180 degrees so it's actually easier to reach your stuff in the bed compared to other trucks. That makes a lot more sense.
Can someone tell me if the tail gate on the R1S is automatic or manual. Makes all the difference to me.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have a BMW X5 and I like the split tailgate better than my girlfriends X3. When you open the back things don’t roll out.
We had several Covid parties where we sat on the tailgate keeping distance to our friends vehicles.
I’m in medical sales and carry large wheeled bags. It’s nice to have the gate to work from when loading.
I prefer it hands down.
can’t wait to get my R1S

·
Registered
29 Posts
Having reviewed the photos of the lift gate, I am really looking forward to it. Having the short lower portion will be great for when it is over loaded and things want to tumble. Also, being short, 5 ft, it will be simple to reach over with out the tip toe stand.

·
Registered
5 Posts

The BMW SUVs have a tailgate as well as some Land Rovers. I, personally, am looking forward to it. I have a large dog that needs to jump in and this set up works best. So tired of scratching up the paint when she puts her giant paws up on our current SUVs.
When I asked customer service about the tailgate set up a few months ago, this was their response:
"The tailgate on the R1S is a split tailgate, with a powered liftgate and manual tailgate. The tailgate can withstand 1,000 pounds."

1 - 20 of 37 Posts