Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
If it ever gets on the road. It's not really a form/function design. More lets build a wild and crazy vehicle. It will do wonders for reruns of "Damnation Alley", the CT's model. Given global warming trends, by the time the CT comes out, it may be operating in the same environment as its progenitor.
Completely Agree.
I just drove from PHL to CLT ~560 miles. I had few problems hitting charging stations along the way. At one location I drove up to two people complaining about their BEV. They both had cars with 220 miles of range and were both driving NYC to ATL. They had rentals!?! and were livid about how often they had to stop because of lack of charging infrastructure. Also one vehicle didn't have a fast charger... So they could only get ~120-150 miles per leg and had to wait quite awhile to charge.

After that experience, being able to go 200 miles seemed like a luxury.

Three big takeaways from that trip (and having the R1T for almost 2 months):
1) You'll most likely not be full when you have to drive it
2) The access to 150kW chargers is not likely and the R1T has a big battery so it takes awhile to charge
3) Real world usability of mileage is dependent on infrastructure

With a smaller battery, you'll be charging for 20-45 min more often (the last 10% of charge is slow and can take over an hour if you want to get to 100%) and you wont get the full "range" due to charging station proximity.

Besides big trips, sometimes you do a lot of driving for a few days in a row with lack of access to good charging infrastructure. You should get the bigger battery. I've already been stuck where I had to unexpectedly tow something when my battery was less than 50%. It certainly takes some extra planning.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Always go with the bigger battery. Whether you take a lot of long trips or not, the bigger battery will charge much faster when you do. the standard pack 260 miles is 80% of the large pack 320 miles, so to get the full 260 miles of the standard pack at a DC fast charger you will have to charge for roughly 1 hour, because charging slows considerably after 70%, whereas the large pack will get to 80% (260 miles) within 30 minutes. The smaller pack could add an additional couple of hours on a 600-700 mile trip.
I have to admit that is the safest possible move to make when factoring just about everything. I think it might even give us a bit of an advantage come time to sell.
What Rivian model and spec did you go with?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have to admit that is the safest possible move to make when factoring just about everything. I think it might even give us a bit of an advantage come time to sell.
What Rivian model and spec did you go with?
I went with the R1S large pack, however, I really want the max pack. I have had two Tesla Model S's since 2013 with the biggest packs available at the time. Most people I know who went with smaller packs wish they had gone with the larger ones, and yes, resale is better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Always go bigger on the battery.

1. EV's live at 75% of battery day to day to slow battery degradation. Don't discharge below 10% and don't charge to more than 85%. I have 270/310 battery left on the Tesla after 85k miles.
2. On trips, charging gets very slow at 70% so again, your are living at that 75% range.
3. EV batteries degrade from day one and sticking to L2 and the 10-85 rule will slow the battery degradation.
4. Cold weather can take 40% of useable battery, combined with the 75% rule, reduced usable range in bad weather by a lot.
5. Resale value.
EaglesPDX - In addition to your suggested best practices and reasons to go with the biggest battery possible, I would like to underscore your third point: annual battery capacity loss. I'm assuming the EPA's annual loss estimate of 2.3% suffers from a limited sample size (i.e. the number of EV vehicles/years in service). If that estimate is accurate, then a 180 kWh pack in 20 years could be as low as 115 kWh. The 135 kWh pack, potentially, could be as low as 86 kWh. While I hope someday it may be possible to replace/upgrade the vehicle battery, I can't help but think I'm going to be a lot happier in the long run with the Mega pack for the reasons you stated.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I went with the R1S large pack, however, I really want the max pack. I have had two Tesla Model S's since 2013 with the biggest packs available at the time. Most people I know who went with smaller packs wish they had gone with the larger ones, and yes, resale is better.
Too bad the 180 kwh has been delayed along with everything else. Now I hear we'll get it in early 2023.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
EaglesPDX - In addition to your suggested best practices and reasons to go with the biggest battery possible, I would like to underscore your third point: annual battery capacity loss. I'm assuming the EPA's annual loss estimate of 2.3% suffers from a limited sample size (i.e. the number of EV vehicles/years in service). If that estimate is accurate, then a 180 kWh pack in 20 years could be as low as 115 kWh. The 135 kWh pack, potentially, could be as low as 86 kWh. While I hope someday it may be possible to replace/upgrade the vehicle battery, I can't help but think I'm going to be a lot happier in the long run with the Mega pack for the reasons you stated.
Welcome to the forum. Would you get the battery replaced well before that 20 year mark? I think the trade off would be worth it. You should get money back from Rivian for the 'core' which should help.

·
Registered
202? R1S Adventure
31 Posts
As others have said, always by the largest pack. Here are things to consider when selecting battery size:

• You will probably never see the estimated range in the real world
  • You will only come close to the estimated range if you run in Eco mode with the 21" road tires
  • You should only charge to about 80% on a daily basis to preserve battery life over time
  • The battery will degrade over time and have less range. Rivian's warranty will not cover a new battery unless it drops below 70% capacity.

·
Registered
325 Posts
You will probably never see the estimated range in the real world
OutOfSpec was doing better than EPA on it's full 70 mph test. At 70 mph they just about hit the 55 mph EPA numbers. Rivian has the ability to go FWD only in a lower, less wind resistance mode that will have hypermilers like myself likely hitting 350 mile range.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Too bad the 180 kwh has been delayed along with everything else. Now I hear we'll get it in early 2023.
Where are you getting the info about the larger batter pack in early 2023 from @eHauler? I have not been able to find out anything about when it will be available.

What I do know however is that Rivian removed all of the verbiage about an R1S Max Battery pack from the website some time ago. When I asked CS about that, they would say only that a larger battery is in work and that they hoped to provide more information in the near future. When pressed as to about when that "near future" date would be, CS would say only that they hoped it would be soon. My conversation CS on this subject was in March, so the near future is obviously not this Spring.

It's also important to note that CS (and the website) refer to the larger battery not as a Max, but only as "Longer Range." I did not get an answer when I asked if that meant it would be less than 180 kWh's. So my take-away - admittedly speculative - is that the capacity of the R1S "Longer Range" battery pack will be greater than the 135 kWh LR, but less than the 180 kWh Max. This makes sense as there is less room in the SUV than the R1T for a physically larger battery pack. I'm also guessing that the reason for the delay is that Rivian is still wrestling with the engineering for the "Longer Range" R1S.

I really hope that Rivian comes up with a way to get the larger battery version of the R1S out in 2023 on the "standard" quad-motor SUV. I will not be surprised however it it is delayed to 2024, and only available on the dual-motor R1S variant.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts