Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

R1S Standard Pack vs Large Pack

10K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  Dcguy399 
#1 ·
On the website, the Standard Pack claims to give 260+ miles vs the Large Pack that claims to give 320+ miles. Is it worth it for the extra $6,000??? Or can we just save the $6,000 and go with the Standard Pack?

#4 ·
It really depends on how much driving you do and if you plan on towing anything with your R1S. If you don't drive a lot in a day or go on many long trips or tow anything then the standard pack should do the job, especially if you charge each night at home. If you do a lot of driving and/or want that peace of mind then you might want to look at the larger pack.

#6 ·
Reasons to pay the $6k for more mileage:
  1. No one ever said I wish I got the smaller battery
  2. Piece of mind for the rare or occasional road trips
  3. Less worries taking a hit in mileage in colder weather
  4. $6k more on an auto loan equals “about” $120/month more on the car payment

Without knowing what the charging infrastructure will be like in ~2 yrs, I feel more comfortable putting my money there.

#8 ·
Reasons to pay the $6k for more mileage:
  1. No one ever said I wish I got the smaller battery
  2. Piece of mind for the rare or occasional road trips
  3. Less worries taking a hit in mileage in colder weather
  4. $6k more on an auto loan equals “about” $120/month more on the car payment

Without knowing what the charging infrastructure will be like in ~2 yrs, I feel more comfortable putting my money there.
But it’s just 60 miles more mileage 🥲🥲

#7 ·
As others have indicated, the choice of battery capacity will depend on what you intend to do with the R1S, and the state of the charging infrastructure when you take delivery of the vehicle. With respect to the latter, I think that the current activity expanding the charging network is likely to slow considerably after this year for both economic and political reasons. If that turns out to be the case, range will be hugely important in many driving situations.

Towing is one of those situations. The 320 mile nominal range of the Large battery pack will become far less than that if you're towing almost anything. It is possible, perhaps even likely, that towing even a relatively small camper will mean an effective (as opposed to nominal) range of only about 100 miles with the Large pack. The Standard could mean something on the order of 80 miles.

If you're not towing, not driving long distances and have no plans to visit very hot or very cold parts of the country, the Standard pack will be fine. If you are towing, driving long distances (particularly if you're going through the several charging deserts in North America) or worse, towing long distances, you will probably want even more range than the Large pack provides to tide you over until the time that charging stations become more numerous.

#11 ·
Agreed. Any EV with a 500+ range under $100k would...dominate the market. The Lucid is what, 505 mi and costs 170k? And to do it for a pickup, on inefficient tires? I'll be very impressed if they can deliver a CT with that range, at that price, earlier than 2025.

#16 ·
And I guess over time, people will just get used to seeing CT on the roads and the design of it won’t bother as much?
If it ever gets on the road. It's not really a form/function design. More lets build a wild and crazy vehicle. It will do wonders for reruns of "Damnation Alley", the CT's model. Given global warming trends, by the time the CT comes out, it may be operating in the same environment as its progenitor.

Red Poster Font Geological phenomenon Landscape

#17 ·
I think it’s very safe to assume that (a) Tesla will not price CT where the initial predictions were (a CT with faster acceleration and better range will not be the same price as a Model Y), and (b) it’s highly unlikely to have anywhere NEAR 500+ miles of range. Even Tesla most aerodynamic/efficient/most expensive Model S doesn’t come close to 500, and considering how much heavier/less aerodynamic the CT will be, the only way to get to 500 will be to put in a massive battery, and considering the prices of raw battery materials, that’ll almost certainly increase the prices exponentially.

#20 · (Edited)
Always go with the bigger battery. Whether you take a lot of long trips or not, the bigger battery will charge much faster when you do. the standard pack 260 miles is 80% of the large pack 320 miles, so to get the full 260 miles of the standard pack at a DC fast charger you will have to charge for roughly 1 hour, because charging slows considerably after 70%, whereas the large pack will get to 80% (260 miles) within 30 minutes. The smaller pack could add an additional couple of hours on a 600-700 mile trip.

#27 ·
As others have said, always by the largest pack. Here are things to consider when selecting battery size:

• You will probably never see the estimated range in the real world
  • You will only come close to the estimated range if you run in Eco mode with the 21" road tires
  • You should only charge to about 80% on a daily basis to preserve battery life over time
  • The battery will degrade over time and have less range. Rivian's warranty will not cover a new battery unless it drops below 70% capacity.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.