Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend in town ( northern NJ) let me know Rivian was bringing an R1S by for his neighbor to test drive.

Was able to swing by and take a look at it myself, though I wasn't able to jump in for the actual test drive. My main goals were to be able to sit in all three rows, check out the interior finishes, and just gauge the overall size and how it will work for my family and ultimately which of our current vehicles we want to trade in when our R1S is ready.

The Good:
  • like the others I have seen, it looks great in person. This was El Cap granite with black mountain interior
  • thought the interior finishes, were really nice and exceeded expectations. Biggest highlights were the headliner and the wood trim. Was surprised that it is more of a textured natural wood. More unique, fits the vehicles ethos and looks great
  • very comfortable seats and plenty of space in front and second row. Well thought out interior layout and design
  • guy who actually got to drive came away very impressed. "Better than my Tesla"

The Bad:
  • noticed a few fit and finish issues. The rear bumper had some separation on one side and there was something weird for the
  • third row is quite tight and has those kind of "half seats". Perfectly fine for kids, definitely inferior to my Navigator, though to be expected
  • can tell that the bottom section of front doors are going to get beat up as stuff kicks up through the gap on the trim. They had a price of (poorly applied) PPF on the door right next to that gap. I plan on doing full body PPF on mine but something to consider

The Ugly:
- the gentleman who was the recipient of the test drive reserved after me and seemingly will take delivery before I do! I am an April 2019 reservation holder and he was July 2019. Also not even sure how/why he was given this test drive opportunity

· Registered
163 Posts
Since the R1T and R1S are virtually identical from the B pillar forward, does that mean that the wireless cell phone charging spot is the same? If you've been paying attention (of course you have), recipients of their R1Ts say that the wireless charging pad is worthless because the phone slides around and isn't held in place. I wonder if a simple change can be made to the wireless charging pad for the R1S so that the phone sits on a "stickier" pad and has a ridge that would keep it in place?

· Registered
9 Posts
FWIW, I went to the Rivian Hub in Venice CA yesterday to check out the R1S up close for the first time. I enjoyed the visit (even though it was quite a drive from where I live). The best part was that, as a reservation holder (reserved 11/21; Delivery Window 10-12/23), after getting a detailed demo of the R1S features, when I asked about test drives they offered me an "over flow" test drive appointment. They schedule test drives with those who are close to taking delivery, but from time to time they have slots that go unused, so I was able to book a test drive for a little less than 2 weeks from now. Just thought I would pass this info along, in case any of the other Hubs are doing this (it doesn't seem to be publicized). VERY excited to give the R1S a spin.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts