Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Observations that stood out.

1. R1S was perceived as noisier than a Model 3. Yikes! Model 3 is the nosiest car I've owned and that includes the Diesel Rabbit. Tesla didn't actually fix the noise problem in the S/X, it added noise cancelling tech. Clever. Car is noisy but you don't hear it. She didn't mention or I missed it, what tires were on the R1S. If it the offroad tires, they would be expected to noisier.

2. Acceleration and ride was "jerky". What she describes sounds like the regen being more sensitive so any letup on accelerator is felt. That can refined via OTA's.

Overall, the R1S came across to her as more luxurious but noisier, roomier and more practical with more overall storage front and back. Also sturdier, the off road aspect. She doesn't mention it but towing also, 5,000 for X vs. 7,500 for R1S. X was quieter, faster and she likes the yoke steering.

· Registered
348 Posts
The loaner R1S is on 22" sport wheels and tires.

Having driven enough miles in a M3 dual motor I personally think my R1T is far more quiet! Comfort hands down the Rivian > any M3 or MY.

I can see where she thinks the ride was "jerky" but that pedal modulation takes time to learn, and I find the Rivian to be excellent in High Regen! I wonder what mode she was in Hi/Low?

· Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The loaner R1S is on 22" sport wheels and tires.
I'm guessing the 22 tires are noisier.

On the R1T being quieter, they do speculate that it is the rear motor noise comes into cabin on the R1S vs. out of the cabin area on R1T.

Maybe OutOfSpec will do a sound comparison of R1S and Model X. Be nice if there were more "Cabin Noise" metrics in the various comparison videos.

· Registered
52 Posts
She said the Model X is quieter than the R1S. if she said the words M3 she might have mis-spoke as the story was all about comparing her X to the R1S. She's owned 3 MX's with the current being 2022 with noise cancelling (also called a band-aid) Poor show from Tesla on a $120k+ vehicle and the best they can do is noise cancelling! Why bother, just advise owners to increase their radio volume until you can't hear the noise....cheaper that why.

She said the R1S motor had more whine to it (louder) than MX. Then added "maybe because it's a quad motor and it makes more noise!
The Tires were 22 Sport Dark.

The story before this one, when her neighbor took delivery. she liked the vehicle a lot, i got the sense she preferred the R1S to her Tesla X , until she drove it for a few days, Jerkyness and noise seems to have put her off! Rivian might want to take note. I think the issues she did not like are easy fixes for Rivan. But Rivian is not Tesla, we don't know if they going to bother unless its a Major issue.

I would add that its not really a good comparison as R1S is an "Offroad capable SUV, with different tires and stance, the X is a Hatchback car, and cars are always smoother than SUV's or trucks. There's also the $30k difference in price tag. but the fixes are not difficult or expensive.

I'm guessing here but i think what's happening is, with no combustion engine EV manufactures are not placing "firewall/ sound dampening between what was the engine area and the cabin. The EV engine is much in the same place just more on the Axle, so the noise is coming from the same place. EV's don't not need a firewall but sound dampening would be nice.

i've not seen any "plastic" dampeners in the wheel wells either. correct me if I'm wrong, That helps tire noise to have to go through that "plastic" then into the body and into the front cabin. On SUV's the rear is the same. I believe there is some sound proofing insulation in the rear of the R1T, i would assume the same for the R1S. Maybe not enough.

I'll only get my R1S in 2024 Yuks! but it's getting extra sound dampening if it's noisy. My Camry makes enough "Transmission whine" when it slows down, sounds just like an Electric engine , don't need that in my EV too. At least it must be much quieter.

· Registered
52 Posts
Corrections to my comments above:
She did compare the noise to Model 3 but that was right when the Compressor was running and adjusting ride heights.
The R1S does have plastic guards in the wheel wells. Maybe not enough to sound dampen
Sandy Munroe did a Fronk tear down on a R1T, exposing equipment below the Fronk and against the cabin structure. No sign of any sound dampening on the exterior. Maybe they have it under the carpet in the inside?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts