Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's odd I didn't realize the configurator did that. Which vehicle were you trying to spec @BillyRBell? Also, welcome to the forum!
Thank you, seems like a great forum to be a part of! Configuring the R1T. Launch edition, of course. Added the out door kitchen too, but yeah only the different size options, not the color. Would like black as I got the white truck, but both look good enough to run until I get my after market set up.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thank you, seems like a great forum to be a part of! Configuring the R1T. Launch edition, of course. Added the out door kitchen too, but yeah only the different size options, not the color. Would like black as I got the white truck, but both look good enough to run until I get my after market set up.
Maybe the reason you didn't see the full list of options is because you got a launch edition?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Maybe the reason you didn't see the full list of options is because you got a launch edition?
that's correct. Since the launch edition included free tire and wheel upgrades it didn't show the additional options. I liked those black tires as well, but $3,500 is nuts, considering it's the same wheel as the 20" just black. Just powder coat the stock ones :).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I called Rivian and asked what the bolt pattern was for the R1S. They got back to me with 5.5x5. This equates to 139x5. I live in North Jersey and get a second set of rims for Blizzaks on my vehicles. My strategy on the launch edition is to order the 22" rims and buy a set of 20" from Tire Rack for winters. I try to go as small as I can on the winter rims, but I have to clear those big brake calipers. So I figure 20" is the smallest I can go in width. Tire Rack has this annoying policy of not letting you pick rim sizes. They want you to choose your vehicle and they assign the correct size rims for you to look at. Rivian is not a choice at this time. So I figured out that if you put in 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport R/T you get 22" rims in 5.5x5 and if you put in 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 2wd Regular Cab you get 20" rims in 5.5x5. When the tires wear out on the 22" rims, I'll probably replace them with a summer performance truck tire like the Toyo Proxes. There are slim pickings in 22" performance truck tires.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You only get 3choices for the LE.
Hi, new to forum. I wondered the same thing about the lack of wheel choices so thanks for clarifying that LE only has the 3 options. I have the R1T ordered but after seeing some other configs out there I must say the R1S with the dark wheels has me second guessing my choice. The main deciding factor though is that I would want 400+ range in an SUV and have no need for 7 seats. Looking fwd to seeing these in person and better yet owning one

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think that these are the 22" rims that come with the launch edition. There is not much room between those calipers and the rim. There might be an inch in there. I doubt any rims < 20" are going to work on the front. And then you add wheel weights in there. Tight!

·
Registered
4 Posts
A little more investigation and blow up of this pic says that those shoes are 275/50R22. So a 275 section width (Contact patch width) x 50 (sidewall aspect ratio) gives a sidewall of 137mm (half of 275) or 5.4 inches. Added to 22" rims yields: 22+2(5.4)=32.8 as the overall diameter of the tire/wheel combo in the pic in inches.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok, you asked so I am going to geek out here a minute. I am a cyclist, I work in the auto racing industry, and I LOVE physics. And I am by no means an expert. But when I explain things, it makes me think clearer about them and helps me learn. And when I am done having my nerd moment, you are going to have to decide what rim/tire choice is right for you.

Think about a hard rubber ball like a lacrosse ball. It is rigid and bounces back easily. But it is heavy. Think of the same size ball made out of a medium foam. Lighter but less rigid. Smooshes easier but doesn't bounce back as easy. A lot of the energy put into a bounce goes into friction.

Go to cycling. Road bikes have narrow rigid tires with small contact patch with the road. This means less rolling resistance or less friction against the road, but some wheels can be very heavy to get that rigidity. Aerodynamics has some play here but we'll leave that out. Less friction means less energy to put into moving. Now look at a non knobby mountain bike tire. Wider with a larger contact patch. Less rigid, but more forgiving when going over bumpy terrain. More friction. More energy needed but the wheel might be lighter which requires less energy to turn it.

It is a loose analogy and I am sure someone can find criticism with it. Rivian's larger wheel is more rigid because there is more metal which does not smoosh as easily as the tire. But it could be substantially heavier because air and tire weight is less in this tire than the metal. The smaller wheel has a larger sidewall which adds to the wheel tire smooshiness, but also decreases weight because there is more tire, less heavy metal. But in rough terrain, much better for longevity and ride comfort. I say longevity because us in Yankee Land have to deal with pot holes. Wide diameter rims with smaller sidewalls are prone to sidewall blow out and rims cracking when you hit one of those monster holes.

So the ideal wheel for longest range would be a rigid plastic lightweight wheel with almost no contact with the road and less than an inch thick. But that would be impossible to drive with little traction, terrible steering, and would shatter at the first pot hole. Better would be a rigid tire/wheel combination with minimal weight, . That could be our 22' choice. That combo would also handle a lot better because of the lower smooshiness. More like a race car.

But if you are concerned with longevity, pot holes, ride comfort and off road worthiness, then the 20" would be better. That is why those off road proficient vehicles have smallish diameter rims and HUGE sidewalls so they can deform over rough terrain. Rigid wheels/tires would fail.

There are caveats. Tire pressure plays a huge role. A wide diameter rim with a small sidewall should be rigid. But under inflate the tire and it becomes extra smooshy and your efficiency will plummet. Also the springs and shocks have a lot to do with ride comfort and keeping those tires on the pavement, especially in a race car. And we have not mentioned tire compounds which alter traction and efficiency immensely. Softer compounds increase traction, but also increase rolling resistance.

That is why my strategy is to get the 22" rims for summer tires. I will order a set of smaller rims (lets see if we can go <20". I would like that but I don't think it will be possible) for my winter tires because I want a more smooshy tire/rim combo for winter driving because it increases the contact patch (which is better traction in slippery conditions, but brings poorer rolling resistance so more energy needed to make it go round) and better eats up those pot holes. If I lived where there is no snow, 22" is a no brainer.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Which wheel will give the longest range?
According to Rivian, the 21-inch setup is the most efficient option with the 22-inch setup (275/50R22) coming in next. They won't provide specifics just yet but I will make sure to share my findings when they happen... unless some here beats me to it.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
more details from Rivian on the best wheel/tire size for max range:
  • The best wheel and tire option for comfort would be either the 21" Road or 22" Sport. Both are all-season tires that offer low rolling resistance.
  • The 21" would be the best option for maximizing on range.
  • The 22" is designed to have a little more grip of the road for improved performance.
Between the 21" and 22", the 22" would handle the best on wet roads due to having more grip. The 20" is more geared towards off-roading and would handle the best in inclement weather but would not be ideal for efficiency if you don't plan on off-roading

·
Registered
16 Posts
17" bead locks with hopefully 35" tires. Maybe I can fit 37"s........
Don't remember where exactly but I saw that due to rotor size, 20 inch rims are the smallest you can install .
Its a little not what I expected on offroad vehicle but at least if I can have rims without exposed aluminum so it wouldn't corrode and all weather AT tires that would be great.

·
Registered
446 Posts
if you have an order for a Launch Edition R1S or R1T you will have access to all the wheel options. Including the dark wheels. Saw this on Facebook.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts