Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My strong preference would be for 20" wheels and AT tires. Rivian have consistently stated that there will be a 10-15% range penalty for selecting AT tires. I'm not sure how to resolve this dilemma. How did Rivian arrive at this conclusion, as for IC vehicles there is about a 3% mileage penalty for AT tires?
I'm not interested in doing crazy offroad stuff but I enjoy offroad trailer camping on gravel and unpaved trails but I don't want to take the range hit, even with the max battery pack. I do very little driving in snow conditions. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Probably don’t need dedicated AT tires for a gravel/unpaved road. For example on my Honda Ridgeline I had some Toyo Celcius CUV tires and I didn’t have any issues accessing remote trailheads etc, never had a flat or any issues.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Rivian might be erring on the side of caution with those estimates as well depending on conditions and driving styles. You can always order the 20 inch wheels and drive them until they wear and then replace them with a different set.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am going with the 21" wheels due to 90% of my driving will be road.
My brother and I plan on doing sections the Trans America trail yearly and for the $3500 markup of the black wheels I want, I'll by aftermarket 20's and AT tires

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can't help but wonder about the math. The range hit of ATs won't matter much for around-town driving where you charge regularly, likely at home. How long would swapping tires out twice take (before and after a longer road trip) vs the extra charging time during said road trip?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can't help but wonder about the math. The range hit of ATs won't matter much for around-town driving where you charge regularly, likely at home. How long would swapping tires out twice take (before and after a longer road trip) vs the extra charging time during said road trip?
It's not so much the the driving range I am concerned about, I do love the look of the 20's and the AT tires but after they get a few miles on them AT's become noisy... It's almost a given when you have big lugs on your tires.
I've seen the videos where they are saying how quiet the AT's are on the Rivian, but the tires are new and the drivers are sealed in their cage, i like to drive with the windows open in nice weather.
It seems everyone in my area has offset wheels and AT's on their pickups, when I'm driving next to them and listening to the growl of the tires, I see it as an example of why I don't want AT's full time.
... besides, I really don't care for the Rivian offerings on their 20" wheels except for the $3500 black upgrade, Plus the $800 spare... $4300 is a lot of jack for tires and wheels.
In a couple years there will be plenty of aftermarket wheels to choose from for a lot less money.... Apparently the Rivian bolt pattern is a pretty common pattern.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The all-terrain tires Rivian offers have a larger diameter (34") than the street options. If the diameter was the same as the street options I think the range loss would be less.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I did all the research on this in another thread. Simply put, you can buy the same size wheels and same AT tires after market from DiscountTireDirect for about $2300 mounted and shipped. If cost is a concern and you want the best of both worlds, you should very much go with the default 21" option with purchase and buy your own 20" ATs later.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I currently have a truck with AWD and all seasons and have zero trouble in snow, gravel, and dirt roads. Obviously all trains would be better for that stuff, but we probably see 10 days of snow in STL and if you are not intentionally looking for opportunities to get off the beaten trail, you will be fine.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Interesting to see the spare (if equipped) is 195 wide.
Anyone thinking to go with a full size spare instead?

View attachment 3388
To be clear, that T195 NOT what you pay $800 for in the vehicle configurator...
If you pay $800, you will get a full size spare mounted on the wheel for your vehicle.
A temp spare may be mandated in certain states, so Rivian likely offers the T195 temp spare where that is requirement.

Personally, I am absolutely going to purchase a full size 20" wheel & spare at delivery, and be done with it.

·
Registered
854 Posts
If you pay $800, you will get a full size spare mounted on the wheel for your vehicle.
A temp spare may be mandated in certain states, so Rivian likely offers the T195 temp spare where that is requirement.

Personally, I am absolutely going to purchase a full size 20" wheel & spare at delivery, and be done with it.
The R1S gets the temp spare -- not the full size.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts

Thanks for clearing that up.
I hope the spare allows us to travel at a decent speed and distance. Over 50 miles per hour and not more than 100 miles is about what I see on other vehicles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's not so much the the driving range I am concerned about, I do love the look of the 20's and the AT tires but after they get a few miles on them AT's become noisy... It's almost a given when you have big lugs on your tires.
I've seen the videos where they are saying how quiet the AT's are on the Rivian, but the tires are new and the drivers are sealed in their cage, i like to drive with the windows open in nice weather.
It seems everyone in my area has offset wheels and AT's on their pickups, when I'm driving next to them and listening to the growl of the tires, I see it as an example of why I don't want AT's full time.
... besides, I really don't care for the Rivian offerings on their 20" wheels except for the $3500 black upgrade, Plus the $800 spare... $4300 is a lot of jack for tires and wheels.
In a couple years there will be plenty of aftermarket wheels to choose from for a lot less money.... Apparently the Rivian bolt pattern is a pretty common pattern.
Good AT tires dont get noisy after a few thousand miles. My BF Goodrich on my Yukon are very quiet at highway speeds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The A/T tires are Pirelli Scorpion A/Ts. They are probably the mildest A/T tire made, and are mainly designed for parking lot soft roading. The 20in wheels woud be nice though, because they're probably quieter, and should have lower rolling resistance since they should weigh less than the 21/22 inchers. It's a shame they can't be purchased with all seasons.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I take my X5 SERIOUSLY off-road with over-sized Nitto Ridge Grappler tires and smaller rims to provide more sidewall when airing down. Beyond slight hit in noise and gas mileage and a little "wiggle" if changing lanes abruptly there is also the "wear-out" factor as these are a softer compound. I expect all 4 components to be worse on heavier Rivian. Countering that, I love the look and get tons of compliments everywhere running aggressive wheels.

FWIW, my plan to get road wheels and then run custom off-road 18" or 19" rims and max. tire size (total cost ~$2,500). Switching out takes about 60 - 90 minutes but includes a "free" tire rotation in the process.

Wheel Tire Sky Car Vehicle

·
Registered
18 Posts
I wonder how Rivian will handle recalibration for changing tire size. I would hope it could be done rather easily. I too am considering two sets of wheels.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts