Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
As you know the R1S will not feature the 3 row seat if you choose the 180 kWh battery. Do you think they will take the spare tire from the R1T bed due to the huge battery or not.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is a good point, I would also like to read an official answer from Rivian about this when the launch is closer.

Anyone know if the R1T roof will support the weight of spare tire if there is no spare tire in 180 kWH R1T?

EDIT: I may have found the answer, looks like 125 lbs per roof crossbar. So R1T should support at least 250 lbs on roof if you want to place a tire on roof.

Something like this for roof

·
Registered
155 Posts
Do you think they will take the spare tire from the R1T bed due to the huge battery or not.
I doubt it. When I spoke to the R1S team lead last November at the Normal event I had asked him about if the spare tire in the R1S would be a full or space saver spare tire. His first reply was how can you have an adventure vehicle without a full size spare tire. (My reaction: Exactly!) He said he and the team worked to squeeze every inch out of the R1S to fit a full size spare tire. When I asked if that was, at least in part, why the R1S and the R1T overall vehicle length increased by one to two inches from the original spec sheet, he grinned and said yes.

So, even though that does not "directly" answer your question, I would be very surprised if either vehicle did not have the ability to carry a full size spare tire with any of the battery pack configurations. Given that, if this is a major concern for you, I would highly suggest asking Rivian directly either via email or thru one of their social media site accounts. In a July 24th email from Rivian they stated "pilot production line begins running" meaning the various configurations of the R1T and R1S have been more than likely finalized, meaning I doubt they will make any more changes to either vehicle (unless something extremely minor) and as such they should be able to answer your question with certainty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I realize that's just an artists' rendering but it got me thinking; has anyone heard officially or unofficially about aftermarket modifications/additions and Rivian's endorsement of such? Knowing that the outdoor/off road vehicle community/culture and vehicle modification are so intertwined, and Rivian's ethos on letting said community be who they are but in EV form, it would be inexplicable for them to be unaware or indifferent. At the same time...these are rolling computers right? I'm sure they feel some need to protect their product/us from ourselves. Anyone hear anything regarding warranties/support/etc for/after mods? Thoughts?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I realize that's just an artists' rendering but it got me thinking; has anyone heard officially or unofficially about aftermarket modifications/additions and Rivian's endorsement of such?
This is how I see that conversation playing out ...

Aftermarket mod/accessory company: Rivian, we would like to create modification X for your vehicles. Can we inspect or get the specs to your vehicles so we can start designing it and you guys can endorse it?

Rivian: We only have prototypes and pre-production vehicles that may change before going to production. As such we can not give out any specs yet as they may change. Until then we obviously can't endorse any third party modification.

Anyone hear anything regarding warranties/support/etc for/after mods?
Rivian has said quite some time ago, when asked, warranty information will not be available until just before production launch. IMO that seems late. I'm hoping they make it available when their vehicle configurator comes online by "late summer" (2020) but I'm not holding my breath.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts