Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
"bumpy start", no pun intended... A 6,000-7,000 pound truck must really punish it's shocks off road. How hot were those shock reservoirs when they finally gave out?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Maybe time for double shock accessory option?
I can't imagine they're making their shocks in-house, so I'm sure the supplier has been provided with updated specs. The first honda ridgeline suffered a similar fate during a magazine road test. I'm curious to see how the hydraulic sway bar holds up over time. But... Those issues are easy to repair. Won't hold me back from pulling the trigger on a meathead mid-sized SUV.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well the whole idea of these torture/endurance tests is to discover weak points.... it worked ;)

Back in the day, I did custom suspension mods on my CJ7 and the first thing I did afterwards was drive over to the beach and hit the dunes hard to see what worked and what didn't or just plain broke. If you don't break something.. you're not trying hard enough!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Uh gawd... Here we go! Its an R1T. Not a RT1

Ford Raptors have NEVER had any suspension issues, ever! :whistle:

Shit breaks when it gets tested to the extreme... Get over it.
Exactly shit breaks.
the RT1 was designed for people who think they want to go camping, not off road racing.
they just found that out too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Exactly shit breaks.
the RT1 was designed for people who think they want to go camping, not off road racing.
this is the second year the team has run the rally with an R1T. If they didn’t think it was capable they wouldn’t have driven it a second year in a row. I don’t have the link, but definitely find her interview the day she broke the front suspension. Her description of it sounded like she might have over driven the terrain and just took an unlucky hit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
To help keep things in perspective, one of the gas vehicles in the rally had a broken axle and a broken axle housing. The mechanics at the rally were able to fix that and the vehicle is still competing.

Jeep owners often carry a variety of spare parts with them when off-roading because they know how easy it is to break stuff when having fun on the trails.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
this is the second year the team has run the rally with an R1T. If they didn’t think it was capable they wouldn’t have driven it a second year in a row. I don’t have the link, but definitely find her interview the day she broke the front suspension. Her description of it sounded like she might have over driven the terrain and just took an unlucky hit.
The interview is in the first video I posted above.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Exactly shit breaks.
Ya well, with that logic, everyone with a Raptor should join all the Rivians & go camping and stop off-road racing.
We are talking about a PART of a vehicle that is going to take extreme abuse.
Raptor has plenty of suspension issues called out by owners, but doesn't mean they need to go camping or have a bad truck.
I'm not here to advocate that everybody enter their Rivian into the Paris to Dakar rally, I'm just saying that shit is going to break on ALL vehicles.
Especially when tested to the limit off-road.
Seeing the R1T participate in things like the Rebelle Rally gives me MORE confidence, not less - even when things go wrong.
Rivian could simply opt not to participate, but instead they are saying, "hell ya, this truck is capable, and let's see what it can and can't do"
Pretty amazing to think that we will get a production truck just as capable, straight off the production line.

·
Registered
16 Posts
There's a related nice write-up on Road & Track about their cross-country adventure and they had similar suspension issue and Rivian sent the broken part back to HQ for R&D. This is also why Rivian is sponsoring a world-class team in the Rebelle last year and this year (and the same team drove a Rolls-Royce Cullinan 3 years ago). It's called R&D.

I'm stoked to blast the R1T up to Coyote Flats as soon as I can get my hands on it!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Are you asking if you're a professional driver, entered in a professional rally and driving in the world's most difficult conditions and pushing limits because that is your job and you're being paid by Rivian to do such while backed by world-class mechanics and you blow out a suspension is it covered? Is that your question? :)

With all due respect, this forum shows a complete lack of understanding that Rivian also sponsored this team last year and is coming back for more this year because Rivian is using them for R&D and publicity purposes. The team are paid to do things that the rest of us mere mortals will never do. And this is from someone that has pushed serious limits off-roading throughout the Sierras, Mojave, etc. and eagerly plans to do so with a Rivian. The Rebelle team is paid to break things so that R&D can make sure that the rest of us won't be able to.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
305 Posts
So say something like this happens after you take delivery. Is this covered under warranty?
Yes, if that part is defective and breaks then it is covered. Also, see warranty on Rivian.com. Key terms:

What is the warranty coverage on a new Rivian?
New Vehicle Limited Warranty is included on all new R1S and R1T vehicles purchased from Rivian.

New Vehicle Limited Warranties include:

• Comprehensive: The cost of all parts and labor necessary for any defective materials are covered for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first
  • Battery Pack: Coverage includes all components inside the high-voltage battery and 70% or more of the battery capacity for 8 years or 175,000 miles, whichever comes first
  • Drivetrain: Coverage includes the drivetrain and components for 8 years or 175,000 miles, whichever comes first
  • Corrosion (Perforation): Body panels that are perforated by corrosion will be covered for 8 years with unlimited miles
A full list of warranty coverage will be located in the Warranty Guide prior to production vehicles being available for purchase.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts