Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know, or is anyone aware of a resource that tells us how the R1T body is constructed? Evsecifications.com shows R1T body materials include steel, carbon-fiber, and aluminum. Which parts are made of which material? My main curiosity is what material is used for the roof. I tend to use a lot of magnets to rig camping / awning gear. In lieu of being able to examine or test the real thing, I am trying to anticipate where my magnets will work.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Does anyone know, or is anyone aware of a resource that tells us how the R1T body is constructed? Evsecifications.com shows R1T body materials include steel, carbon-fiber, and aluminum. Which parts are made of which material? My main curiosity is what material is used for the roof. I tend to use a lot of magnets to rig camping / awning gear. In lieu of being able to examine or test the real thing, I am trying to anticipate where my magnets will work.
The roof is mostly glass. If you want to put something on the roof then you'll want the crossbars, imo. Attach your accessories/gear to the crossbars. Those will almost certainly be aluminum, however, so no magnets!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The roof is mostly glass. If you want to put something on the roof then you'll want the crossbars, imo. Attach your accessories/gear to the crossbars. Those will almost certainly be aluminum, however, so no magnets!
I have ordered my R1T with the tent and included crossbars. I have considered purchasing a second set of cross bars to accommodate my awning, but am also examining viable options. It would be nice to avoid a second set of $450 crossbars, but that may not be possible. A second set of crossbars would enable me to carry my kayak overhead instead of in the bed.
This does bring up another issue / question. If, after taking delivery of our vehicle, any of us decide we need to order additional accessories (like crossbars), will they be available? Or, will they be committed to existing vehicle orders? When I asked CS in the past, they were non committal.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I have ordered my R1T with the tent and included crossbars. I have considered purchasing a second set of cross bars to accommodate my awning, but am also examining viable options. It would be nice to avoid a second set of $450 crossbars, but that may not be possible. A second set of crossbars would enable me to carry my kayak overhead instead of in the bed.
This does bring up another issue / question. If, after taking delivery of our vehicle, any of us decide we need to order additional accessories (like crossbars), will they be available? Or, will they be committed to existing vehicle orders? When I asked CS in the past, they were non committal.
CS has told others that accessories may be purchased after the fact. Pricing may be different (EVSE, for example, is more after initial vehicle purchase). You may also have shipping costs that are likely avoided if buying with your vehicle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts