Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have insight on how well the cameras on the R1T will work at night time? I am thinking specifically about off-roading at night when there will not be illumination from street lights. Will I be able to see the location of the tires on the screen if nothing is illuminating the tires? Will the gear guard cameras capture any useful video if someone tampers with the gear? I asked Rivian customer service but they didn't have an answer for me.

If there is a truck behind me shinning its headlights in my direction obviously that will help a lot, but what if there is no truck behind me or if we are stopped at a campsite and all truck lights are turned off?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Great question but haven't seen anyone use the truck at night so no idea and I don't recall anyone asking about this. Did you try asking CS?

The videos I've seen of the cameras at work during the day have not been great in terms of quality. I forgot if MotorTrend or someone from Brekenridge commented on it but they said the quality of the camera while they were offroading was not good. The examples I've seen from Tesla vehicles appear much crisper and more detailed. TBH, the Rivian looked like the quality of my 2011 Highlander... not good.

I hope its a pre-production thing. If anyone does get a chance to drive one at a First Mile event, I hope you can try it out and ask them what time of cameras are used.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Nighttime camera views is a concern of mine. My eyes are sensitive to light so at night I use the illumination dimmer to take the screen brightness way down. But when reversing I must increase the brightness to max so I can see details if it’s dark and there are no lights. In my current vehicle that isn’t that big of a deal, since there’s a physical dimmer control to the left of the steering wheel. But on the Rivian, I don’t think they have such a physical control. If I have to dig through menus every time I want to reverse into my garage or go to my parents house (long rural driveway) then that’s going to be problematic, for me.

i wish OLED would catch on in the automotive world.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.