Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left gym to find my R1T unresponsive via phone, fob, remote assistance, etc. On the phone multiple times trying various things with no luck. At this point, they're sending tech support sometime tonight or tomorrow. I'm wondering if anyone has seen their R1T bricking [inaccessible] and maybe what worked in your situation? This is concerning when I think about being many miles into remote location or in NEED of shelter.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've read a few of these posts but likely missed someone's explanation for why a 12v battery would ever die on a new truck? Presumably it was a new batter. Driving it presumably charges it. Vampire drain from what I understand drains the main batteries. So what is pulling all the juice out of a 12v battery so quickly, any ideas?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've read a few of these posts but likely missed someone's explanation for why a 12v battery would ever die on a new truck? Presumably it was a new batter. Driving it presumably charges it. Vampire drain from what I understand drains the main batteries. So what is pulling all the juice out of a 12v battery so quickly, any ideas?
Not the R1T, but this has happened on the F-150 Lightnings as well. The general rationale there may..or may not apply.

Truck is manufactured and built, it then sits in a lot pending shipment, then shipped and can sometimes up to two months. During that time, it is rarely driven and not placed on a charger which leads the 12vDC battery to draw down.

The truck should be recharging the 12vDC battery via a DC to DC converter from the main 400V pack during this time. However, Ford's service manuals reveal there are conditions in which the 12vDC battery will not recharge.

I don't have access to Rivian's service manuals, and the car doesn't even have some of these parts; but this may give a general idea that there may be conditions or situations where the vehicle is programmed purposefully to not charge the 12vDC battery.

Conditions where High Voltage (HV) to Low Voltage (LV) Energy Transfer is not supported
1) When the gear selection is not park (e.g. reverse, neutral, drive, sport etc.) the HV to LV Energy Transfer Feature shall deactivate and/or stop the energy transfer process

2) When the ignition status is not key-off (e.g. key-on, remote on etc.) the HV to LV Energy Transfer Feature shall deactivate and/or stop the energy transfer process and reset lock out period.

3) When OTA update is in the process with a software update (non-interruptible state), the HV to LV Energy Transfer Feature shall proceed after the Over the Air (OTA) software update is complete.

4) When HV to LV Energy Transfer Feature is in the process of an energy transfer, the OTA update shall stop the energy transfer and proceed with the OlA software update

5) When an internal error and/or fault is detected (e.g. HV to LV DTC etc.) the HV to LV Energy Transfer Feature shall immediately deactivate and/or stop the energy transfer process.

6) The HV to LV Energy Transfer Feature shall be enabled to provide energy transfer when vehicle is in "customer mode" or "transport mode". The feature shall be disabled in all other lifecycle modes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Probably not the case here, but I've read a few posts about "bricked" R1Ts that ended up being the door not fully closed while the truck was parked over the weekend or while camping.

I dont remember the exact parameters, but I remember reading something about the 12v system won't charge below a certain battery pack %. There is also a low voltage safety cutoff for when the vehicle indicates an accident that could malfunction too, although probably not a common issue.

Everyone immediately assumes the vehicle is at fault. I think everyone that posts about "bricked" R1Ts need to include how the vehicle was used for the previous 24 hours and what % the batt pack was at. I think there's some user error or lack of user awareness in some of these situations (not all).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
UPDATE: Truck is operational again. The tech crawled under, got frunk open which opened access to other stuff. Long short, he dumped log data and sent up for RCA. One error about low voltage (truck @ 65% charge) which didn't seem to make sense.

Have been having a few system faults with Adaptive Cruise (especially in rain) which haven't occurred since last update.

Root cause remains ??.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Probably not the case here, but I've read a few posts about "bricked" R1Ts that ended up being the door not fully closed while the truck was parked over the weekend or while camping.

I dont remember the exact parameters, but I remember reading something about the 12v system won't charge below a certain battery pack %. There is also a low voltage safety cutoff for when the vehicle indicates an accident that could malfunction too, although probably not a common issue.

Everyone immediately assumes the vehicle is at fault. I think everyone that posts about "bricked" R1Ts need to include how the vehicle was used for the previous 24 hours and what % the batt pack was at. I think there's some user error or lack of user awareness in some of these situations (not all).
The tech did mention that he noticed a "clip" unhooked on the thing he initially unplugged (under fender by charge port).

·
Registered
225 Posts
UPDATE: Truck is operational again. The tech crawled under, got frunk open which opened access to other stuff. Long short, he dumped log data and sent up for RCA. One error about low voltage (truck @ 65% charge) which didn't seem to make sense.

Have been having a few system faults with Adaptive Cruise (especially in rain) which haven't occurred since last update.

Root cause remains ??.
Low voltage on the main pack? Or on the 12v battery? You could have a low voltage on the 12vDC which prevents the main pack from being able to be utilized..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts