Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Prius, 2012 Tacoma, 2012 Vespa GTV300
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you're talking about a string of EV crashes, if I were to hazard a guess, I would say that some folks are having a difficult time judging their speed due to the lack of ICE noise and their eyes being more focused on the large infotainment screens. But I literally have no idea.

·
Registered
Red/Black R1T Adventure, max pack, off-road, 22 Sports.
71 Posts
Impact damage doesn't look that bad, although under the circumstances it's good to see the airbags deployed. It's looking like the impact didn't go past the centerpoint of the front wheels, which should have provided some space from the battery pack, although the fire in itself doesn't necessarily mean it hit the pack. If it did, I'm surprised to see as much of the structure is still in place as opposed to the usual melted mess. I'm wondering how quickly the fire grew? This should go back to Rivian to review it.

·
Registered
R1S Adventure (ordered 10/27/21), Red Canyon. Genesis GV 60 Mauna Red (bought 9/10/22)
106 Posts
Wow. Looks like that was a dead-center hit on the pole.
I'm surprised the driver didn't need medical attention for a crash like this. I guess the truck did its job in that sense.
Looks like s/he hit the pole dead-center. Probably the best scenario for the driver as far as energy absorption by the crumple zones.

Not so good for the truck, though.

·
Banned
473 Posts
Sounds like everyone is ok. How much HP do these have? 0-60 is in supercar territory at about 3 sec. Can the trucks handle that amount of power? Not being critical just curious.
It’s a truck. A truck that has a quick response to the pedal. It’s not the truck. It’s the driver. Dumb kid Was driving. Prob an corp employee in Irvine Ca.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Just for fun, here's a map centered on the pole he hit: Google Maps

The Rivian was exiting the freeway, coming from the lower right corner, then failed to negotiate the left turn at the T-intersection, hitting the traffic signal post.

You can switch to street view to see it from the driver's viewpoint.

What sucks is that this is going to negatively affect Rivian insurance rates for all of us, at least in the near term until there is more data.

·
Registered
Mitsubishi Triton and MG Midget 1500
10 Posts
Been a few of these city-street crashes, now. With such low production numbers, this is deeply troubling. I know it’s a lot of HP…. But it makes me wonder if the traction/stability control needs some work?
Probably more to do with the nut behind the wheel. The driver is supposed to be in control not the truck.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts