Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well WOOT, my r1t is arriving tomorrow. It's been a LOOONG wait. Lets just hope the wife likes it :)

So it's scheduled tomorrow ... and today, i get an email that Rivian has sent me documents to online Notarize.com, mentioning License Plates (OK) and Registration (err ... i was NOT expecting this).

We haven't decided yet if we're going to register it in the business name, my wife's name (she has her own insurance, and it's a lot cheaper than mine), or, if the wife isn't thrilled with it, just sell it. As such, i don't believe i'm ready to register it. it will be on private property in the meantime.

It's been a while since i've bought a car, but it's either been new (in-state dealer, for which Rivian is not in Idaho), or cash to a private party, which just signs the clear title to me on the spot. Do i understand correctly that:
  1. plates are mandatory; but are temp plates different than when i go register?
    1. eg, similiar to if i buy a car in a neighboring state, then drive it home to register it in idaho.
  2. "registration" is where i pay the tax to the state, and is obviously mandatory to have it on public roads at all - but not mandatory to own it, correct? I should be able to walk over to the DMV to do registration on my own.
Help! thank you

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Well WOOT, my r1t is arriving tomorrow. It's been a LOOONG wait. Lets just hope the wife likes it :)

So it's scheduled tomorrow ... and today, i get an email that Rivian has sent me documents to online Notarize.com, mentioning License Plates (OK) and Registration (err ... i was NOT expecting this).

We haven't decided yet if we're going to register it in the business name, my wife's name (she has her own insurance, and it's a lot cheaper than mine), or, if the wife isn't thrilled with it, just sell it. As such, i don't believe i'm ready to register it. it will be on private property in the meantime.

It's been a while since i've bought a car, but it's either been new (in-state dealer, for which Rivian is not in Idaho), or cash to a private party, which just signs the clear title to me on the spot. Do i understand correctly that:
    1. eg, similiar to if i buy a car in a neighboring state, then drive it home to register it in idaho.
  2. "registration" is where i pay the tax to the state, and is obviously mandatory to have it on public roads at all - but not mandatory to own it, correct? I should be able to walk over to the DMV to do registration on my own.
Help! thank you
Congrats @a_new_r1t! I don't see why you can't go to your DMV and handle the registration at a later date. Though I'm not really familiar with how Idaho does things.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats! What is your home charging station setup like if you already have one?
relatives down the street have a tesla charger, so i wasn't sweating it. While we can both garage and off-alley park, I actually prefer to street park which is obviously public but is very low density in my area (always in front of my house) - thus i plan on running 240 to the easement, and installing a locking box.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
relatives down the street have a tesla charger, so i wasn't sweating it. While we can both garage and off-alley park, I actually prefer to street park which is obviously public but is very low density in my area (always in front of my house) - thus i plan on running 240 to the easement, and installing a locking box.
Since it will be parked outside, are you getting some sort of paint protection done?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since it will be parked outside, are you getting some sort of paint protection done?
yeah, we've always PPF'd our cars. That stuff is a miracle :) its crazy how well it works, outside of a LARGE-dent-creating rock strike its essentially impervious to everything. The front of a car we sold at 10yrs old a few years back looked ~good as new in the areas with PPF.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
is yours with off-road package?
There is no "off road package" AFAICT - there are tow hooks (included with both Adventure and Launch), off-road tires (yes i have these), a separate underbody shield (can be added later, if i felt i needed it), and various other small options. I just pulled up the current configurator to be sure; launch is basically Adventure with a handful of necessary options.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The off-road package was what they used to call the reinforced underbody shield + tow hooks. When they changed the configuration options on 1 March they split this up and they made the tow hooks standard. BTW I'm not sure you can add the underbody shield later, if you're planning on that you should check with customer service first.

·
Registered
77 Posts

Help! thank you
I thought tax and registration are already paid through the dealership at time of pickup.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Congrats! I’m also in Idaho (Boise) and mine is supposed to be delivered April/May timeframe. Please keep us posted on the registration process, I’m especially interested as a fellow ID resident. As one of the posters mentioned above, the launch package originally had the off-road package (tow hooks and underbody protection) standard but then lowered the overall Launch price and made these two options optional. Been debating deleting the underbody to save $2K, just not sure it’s necessary for the stuff I do (forest service and fire roads are about the extent of what I do “off-road.” Did you do launch green? Post pics! Can’t wait for mine

1 - 14 of 14 Posts