Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First real post since joining the forum. Wanted to share my experiences with delivery, my first impressions and talk about my service experience so far. I apologize but this ended up being very long. Hopefully the information is helpful to others.

The truck is beautiful. I was lucky and my initial R1T order was one of the configurations they were producing right away. Took delivery on July 14. Truck looks great but had some issues on delivery. Will get to that later.

Delivery: Delivery process was excellent for me. Actually came much quicker that I was being told. Was contacted by the local folks in the DC service center and arranged the delivery date. Plowed through the 8 step process (not hard but not as easy as it could be) and had everything set for delivery. Truck showed up on a flatbed with a Rivian employee driving. Delivery driver (Maison) was awesome. Spent well over an hour (almost 2) explaining most all the things in the truck and went on a short test drive with me. I have zero complaints about the delivery process. They communicated well (as opposed to my many other frustrations with communication prior to delivery) and the process went smooth.

First Impressions: Overall, the truck is great and I love it. Everything you have read about how it drives and the overall quality are spot on. Unfortunately, before it came off the flatbed I was looking underneath behind the rear tires and there are fasteners missing from the under body panels. Put a picture of it below. End of the world, no, but I was a bit disappointed to see something so obvious missing. Same fastener is missing on both sides. Went on to find a total of 7 things that needed to be "fixed" plus a Rivian App issue. I say "fixed" because the trucks drives fine. All the items I found do not affect the actual driving but some are safety issues which I do not think of as small items. Below is the list of what I found on day 1 of ownership.

1. Fasteners missing on underbody panels behind rear wheels
2. License plate holder not installed. You may laugh at this but they actually ask you as part of the 8 step process if you want it installed. It is the law where I live, so I said yes. The holder showed up in the Frunk but there are no screws to install it. Small item yes, but they asked me about it. This should have been done as part of the delivery prep in DC. I had to install my own on my Tesla but it came with instructions and the tape to do it myself. I am very capable of doing it myself but should not have to. Further I am certainly not going to do it without instructions and the proper screws. All I need is to drill too deep and screw something up.
3. Spare tire cover in bed not latching on the right side. This causes the cover to stick up on the right side and when I raise the tailgate the extender plate (not sure of the exact name but the plate that drops between the bed and the tailgate) binds on the cover and eventually snaps over it. It is causing damage. Now that I know what is going on, I can hold the right side of the spare tire cover down when I raise the tailgate and it doesn't snap.
4. Tailgate sticks out on left side and is in too far on right side. Needs to be adjusted.
5. Hood is too low on right side of truck. Needs to be adjusted.
6. Blind spot monitoring not working.
7. Cross traffic warning system not working. I suspect that the Blind Spot and Cross Traffic systems are using the same sensors. I also suspect that they are not hooked up somehow.

My 8th item that I have added to my list is in the Rivian App. It shows the temperature of my cab as ranging from 13 to 35. I know you all will say that is Celsius and I just need to adjust a setting but that is not the case. The app does not say either Fahrenheit or Celsius, it just gives the number. The app does not have a way to change the settings and in the truck I am set up properly for Fahrenheit. My phone is also set up correctly for Fahrenheit. The service advisor did not know how to fix it when I eventually called them, so it is another gripe on my list.

So that is what I have found so far. Again, I love the truck. It drives great, looks good. Just want this stuff fixed.

Initial Service Request: So I found items 1-5 while the delivery driver was here and the others later in the day. Driver showed me how I can submit service requests. Either through the app or by calling. I decided to list everything out in the app. Was able to submit pictures and a short video. Thought that was a pretty slick system and figured it would be more efficient than calling and having to explain everything then eventually have to submit pictures. Submission was smooth. A ticket was generated and I was told that I would receive a call within 1-2 business days (again I submitted on a Thursday early afternoon). On the next Tuesday I had not received a call and was getting ready to go on a business trip. I called them myself and went through all the issues. They were able to find my tickets, so they had all the information I had submitted. Advisor was very nice, took down additional information and said they would be in touch soon to schedule the service visit or arrange for my truck to be serviced at a service center if necessary. He said the "team" needed to review each of the gripes and determine how and where it could be fixed. I waited and finally 8 days later I reached back out to Rivian to find out what the status was. Was told that they had reviewed 5 of the 8 gripes. The advisor (different one) was very nice and helpful but could not tell me when they would get to reviewing the remaining items. He did take down my availability information and we discussed the fact that it appears the truck will have to go to the service center. They are being very accommodating about the service. They will pick it up on a flatbed, I can drop it off and get a loaner or, as I don't need a loaner, they will Uber me back to my house and pick me up again when the truck is ready. I live over an hour away but they said this was OK.

So, they are being very helpful at this point but I still have no idea when the truck will be serviced. I am lucky that I can continue to drive it but two of my safety systems are down. A little concerning but not enough to not drive it. I will say that many of my issues should have been discovered during delivery prep. That seems to be an area that needs to be tightened up a bit.

I AM STILL A FAN but the jury is out on the service so far. I hope that they can get to me in a reasonable amount of time and I further hope that they can fix it on the first try. Wish they could do it at my house but that does not appear to be an option. Communication about what is going on for my service is non-existent. I have had to call each time. They don't even need to call me, I would be happy if I got an email that said to check my ticket status for an update. Even an update that said they were still reviewing my issues would have been helpful. Hopefully this communication gets better.

So in summary, the truck is great - I love it, communication from Rivian (other than about my delivery) has been less than good. I see communication as a big issue for them that really needs to get fixed. I know they are still growing and am optimistic. I hope that they realize that their communication in general is a low point and that they need to make it better. I remain a big fan.

End of rant - hope this is helpful to some folks.

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Plant
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle
Plant Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Light

·
Registered
230 Posts
The safety systems imo aren’t acceptable to be passing QC. I’m being a Karen here but some of these issues need NHTSA complaints. If Rivian can’t get their QC in order, they need to be aware and to force them to get in order.

With their workforce only working 30 hours a week, there’s no excuse for poor QC on the trucks coming out.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I took delivery of mine on Saturday. I was impressed (hard to do being a seasoned and grizzled automotive industry nut) that the delivery team pointed out some scrapes in the driver's side gear tunnel door plastic trim. He opened it up and showed it to me. Showed me how to use the app and put in a service ticket. Kudos to them for being open and honest and transparent.

·
Registered
940 Posts
A tightened up QA process would minimally save Rivian MILLIONS of dollars in service costs, rental costs, UBER costs, and LABOR costs, while also improving levels of customer satisfaction. If they can resolve more of these issues at the plant PRIOR to sending trucks out, they will be making some very good headway. Unfortunately, service is slow. They are great about it, but they are simply balancing the new company game of getting trucks out the door to customers to hit numbers, and having tight inspections and QA. Normal growing pains for them (and for us as new customers). The trucks are great though!

·
Registered
1 Posts
For issue #8 I had the same problem. Went into the settings on the phone and changed from Fahrenheit to Celsius and then back to Fahrenheit, and the app changed. Guessing it defaults to Celsius and only changes when it notices a change in the settings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
First real post since joining the forum. Wanted to share my experiences with delivery, my first impressions and talk about my service experience so far. I apologize but this ended up being very long. Hopefully the information is helpful to others.

The truck is beautiful. I was lucky and my initial R1T order was one of the configurations they were producing right away. Took delivery on July 14. Truck looks great but had some issues on delivery. Will get to that later.

Delivery: Delivery process was excellent for me. Actually came much quicker that I was being told. Was contacted by the local folks in the DC service center and arranged the delivery date. Plowed through the 8 step process (not hard but not as easy as it could be) and had everything set for delivery. Truck showed up on a flatbed with a Rivian employee driving. Delivery driver (Maison) was awesome. Spent well over an hour (almost 2) explaining most all the things in the truck and went on a short test drive with me. I have zero complaints about the delivery process. They communicated well (as opposed to my many other frustrations with communication prior to delivery) and the process went smooth.

First Impressions: Overall, the truck is great and I love it. Everything you have read about how it drives and the overall quality are spot on. Unfortunately, before it came off the flatbed I was looking underneath behind the rear tires and there are fasteners missing from the under body panels. Put a picture of it below. End of the world, no, but I was a bit disappointed to see something so obvious missing. Same fastener is missing on both sides. Went on to find a total of 7 things that needed to be "fixed" plus a Rivian App issue. I say "fixed" because the trucks drives fine. All the items I found do not affect the actual driving but some are safety issues which I do not think of as small items. Below is the list of what I found on day 1 of ownership.

1. Fasteners missing on underbody panels behind rear wheels
2. License plate holder not installed. You may laugh at this but they actually ask you as part of the 8 step process if you want it installed. It is the law where I live, so I said yes. The holder showed up in the Frunk but there are no screws to install it. Small item yes, but they asked me about it. This should have been done as part of the delivery prep in DC. I had to install my own on my Tesla but it came with instructions and the tape to do it myself. I am very capable of doing it myself but should not have to. Further I am certainly not going to do it without instructions and the proper screws. All I need is to drill too deep and screw something up.
3. Spare tire cover in bed not latching on the right side. This causes the cover to stick up on the right side and when I raise the tailgate the extender plate (not sure of the exact name but the plate that drops between the bed and the tailgate) binds on the cover and eventually snaps over it. It is causing damage. Now that I know what is going on, I can hold the right side of the spare tire cover down when I raise the tailgate and it doesn't snap.
4. Tailgate sticks out on left side and is in too far on right side. Needs to be adjusted.
5. Hood is too low on right side of truck. Needs to be adjusted.
6. Blind spot monitoring not working.
7. Cross traffic warning system not working. I suspect that the Blind Spot and Cross Traffic systems are using the same sensors. I also suspect that they are not hooked up somehow.

My 8th item that I have added to my list is in the Rivian App. It shows the temperature of my cab as ranging from 13 to 35. I know you all will say that is Celsius and I just need to adjust a setting but that is not the case. The app does not say either Fahrenheit or Celsius, it just gives the number. The app does not have a way to change the settings and in the truck I am set up properly for Fahrenheit. My phone is also set up correctly for Fahrenheit. The service advisor did not know how to fix it when I eventually called them, so it is another gripe on my list.

So that is what I have found so far. Again, I love the truck. It drives great, looks good. Just want this stuff fixed.

Initial Service Request: So I found items 1-5 while the delivery driver was here and the others later in the day. Driver showed me how I can submit service requests. Either through the app or by calling. I decided to list everything out in the app. Was able to submit pictures and a short video. Thought that was a pretty slick system and figured it would be more efficient than calling and having to explain everything then eventually have to submit pictures. Submission was smooth. A ticket was generated and I was told that I would receive a call within 1-2 business days (again I submitted on a Thursday early afternoon). On the next Tuesday I had not received a call and was getting ready to go on a business trip. I called them myself and went through all the issues. They were able to find my tickets, so they had all the information I had submitted. Advisor was very nice, took down additional information and said they would be in touch soon to schedule the service visit or arrange for my truck to be serviced at a service center if necessary. He said the "team" needed to review each of the gripes and determine how and where it could be fixed. I waited and finally 8 days later I reached back out to Rivian to find out what the status was. Was told that they had reviewed 5 of the 8 gripes. The advisor (different one) was very nice and helpful but could not tell me when they would get to reviewing the remaining items. He did take down my availability information and we discussed the fact that it appears the truck will have to go to the service center. They are being very accommodating about the service. They will pick it up on a flatbed, I can drop it off and get a loaner or, as I don't need a loaner, they will Uber me back to my house and pick me up again when the truck is ready. I live over an hour away but they said this was OK.

So, they are being very helpful at this point but I still have no idea when the truck will be serviced. I am lucky that I can continue to drive it but two of my safety systems are down. A little concerning but not enough to not drive it. I will say that many of my issues should have been discovered during delivery prep. That seems to be an area that needs to be tightened up a bit.

I AM STILL A FAN but the jury is out on the service so far. I hope that they can get to me in a reasonable amount of time and I further hope that they can fix it on the first try. Wish they could do it at my house but that does not appear to be an option. Communication about what is going on for my service is non-existent. I have had to call each time. They don't even need to call me, I would be happy if I got an email that said to check my ticket status for an update. Even an update that said they were still reviewing my issues would have been helpful. Hopefully this communication gets better.

So in summary, the truck is great - I love it, communication from Rivian (other than about my delivery) has been less than good. I see communication as a big issue for them that really needs to get fixed. I know they are still growing and am optimistic. I hope that they realize that their communication in general is a low point and that they need to make it better. I remain a big fan.

End of rant - hope this is helpful to some folks.

View attachment 7274 View attachment 7275 View attachment 7276
For the bed/spare tire compartment, try pushing down lightly on each side right where the latch is. I had the same issue and the guide gave me this tip. It did work. Pushing lightly on the right side by itself…hope that helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts