Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really struggling with getting my R1T to charge at home. First issue is that the truck doesn't seem to know it's home, even though my home address is correct. This means that the scheduled charging will not start (set to midnight). Whenever I plug in at home, it immediately tries to charge and I have to cancel the charging session.

To add insult to injury, I also can't simply wake up at midnight and start the charging session from the app (app doesn't seem to support manually controlling charging sessions.) So to get my midnight charging session going, I have to walk out to my driveway at midnight to get into the truck and start it.

Anyone know how to resolve this "don't know I'm home issue"? It's way too picky about the location.

Kirk

·
Registered
9 Posts
I understand and agree you should have a much easier path to setting "home" so that you can utilize scheduled charging but I have question purely out of curiosity. This is in no way a criticism.

Why would you not start charging when you go to bed? Is it because of off-peak electric rates or something like that?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why would you not start charging when you go to bed? Is it because of off-peak electric rates or something like that?
Yes, exactly, it's all about minimizing fuel costs. If I start at 10pm for instance, I pay $0.39 per KW*hr for the next two hours. If I start at midnight, my rate is $0.11 per KW*hr. So that two hours charging between 10-12 will cost me more than the 6 hours of charging between 12am-6am.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has it worked previously?

Have you tried disabling scheduled charging and then enabling it?

What about changing the home location to somewhere else, then changing it back?

Have you rebooted the vehicle? Shortcuts & Tips
No, it's never worked, but I've only had the truck for a week.

Thanks for the tips, I will try all of those and report back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, exactly, it's all about minimizing fuel costs. If I start at 10pm for instance, I pay $0.39 per KW*hr for the next two hours. If I start at midnight, my rate is $0.11 per KW*hr. So that two hours charging between 10-12 will cost me more than the 6 hours of charging between 12am-6am.
Wow, yep that's definitely a big enough difference that waiting until midnight is the way to go.
Hope you find a solution to the scheduled charging issue. Hopefully it is an easy fix.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In stead of a home schedule why do you not just set the schedule for midnight? It would not impact CCS charges and you can override that if out and need to charge.
Are you saying there is a way to set up scheduled charging that is not tied to a location? If so, that would be great. If this is one of those RTFM moments, I'll accept that answer without offence... 🙂

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm really struggling with getting my R1T to charge at home. First issue is that the truck doesn't seem to know it's home, even though my home address is correct. This means that the scheduled charging will not start (set to midnight). Whenever I plug in at home, it immediately tries to charge and I have to cancel the charging session.

To add insult to injury, I also can't simply wake up at midnight and start the charging session from the app (app doesn't seem to support manually controlling charging sessions.) So to get my midnight charging session going, I have to walk out to my driveway at midnight to get into the truck and start it.

Anyone know how to resolve this "don't know I'm home issue"? It's way too picky about the location.

Kirk
Your issue might be related to setting your home location in the truck itself. The manual refers to setting your home location several times, but they never tell you how to do it! I stumbled across one way to make it happen.

On the Gear Guard screen, there's an option to record video Everywhere, or Away from Home. By default, it's on Everywhere. Toggle it to Away from Home, and now you are prompted to set your home location.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Your issue might be related to setting your home location in the truck itself. The manual refers to setting your home location several times, but they never tell you how to do it! I stumbled across one way to make it happen.

On the Gear Guard screen, there's an option to record video Everywhere, or Away from Home. By default, it's on Everywhere. Toggle it to Away from Home, and now you are prompted to set your home location.

Hope this helps!
You can set the home location in the navigation app. I’m a bit surprised this wasnt “obvious”?

but the real issue is that the radius the truck considers to be ‘home’ from the pin is quite small. It works well at my address, but others have said their garage is sufficiently far from the pin that the truck doesn’t recognize that it’s home. What is really needed is the ability to drop a pin, then set a custom radius (or draw a custom polygon geofence)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can set the home location in the navigation app. I’m a bit surprised this wasnt “obvious”?

but the real issue is that the radius the truck considers to be ‘home’ from the pin is quite small. It works well at my address, but others have said their garage is sufficiently far from the pin that the truck doesn’t recognize that it’s home. What is really needed is the ability to drop a pin, then set a custom radius (or draw a custom polygon geofence)
Yes, the home location can be set in the nav app, and it's been correct from day one. I haven't tried blowing it away and re-entering. Yes, the issue seems to be the radius of detection for home. The home location pin appears to be in the back of my lot, but I don't have a large lot at all.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, I got it working, here are the steps I tried:
-Reboot screens: No change
-Remove home address and re-add: No change
-Remove home address and leave it blank: No change
-Turn off charging schedule and turn back on (my wife wants credit for this, her suggestion): It now has charging schedule activated. Home address was still blank at this point.
-Add home address again: Still showing schedule ok, appears to now think I am at home.

A bit of a head-scratcher, but it seems to be working for now. I plugged in the charger after all this and it didn't start charging, and shows that it will start at 12am.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Ok, I got it working, here are the steps I tried:
-Reboot screens: No change
-Remove home address and re-add: No change
-Remove home address and leave it blank: No change
-Turn off charging schedule and turn back on (my wife wants credit for this, her suggestion): It now has charging schedule activated. Home address was still blank at this point.
-Add home address again: Still showing schedule ok, appears to now think I am at home.

A bit of a head-scratcher, but it seems to be working for now. I plugged in the charger after all this and it didn't start charging, and shows that it will start at 12am.
Just curious if you originally set the charge schedule from your house? The first step in setting the schedule says park at your home location, almost seems like it might use the gps location where the schedule is created instead of the configured home location.

Clearly still some tweaking of the manuals for more clarity so we do not need to guess.

·
Registered
48 Posts
First world problem - but I commute between 2 locations. One of them works with the schedule, the other does not. I need to do the exact same thing. I tend to retire for the day about 11 - 11:30. So typically I'll just plug it in when I'm heading to bed. But it's frustrating that the schedule can't be set to always apply - then turn it off when traveling so I can DC fast charge when needed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just curious if you originally set the charge schedule from your house? The first step in setting the schedule says park at your home location, almost seems like it might use the gps location where the schedule is created instead of the configured home location.

Clearly still some tweaking of the manuals for more clarity so we do not need to guess.
Interesting theory, that might explain it. I actually don't recall where I was when I first started messing with the charging schedule. I spent most of last week on a business trip to LA, so I may have been setting things while I was there. I'll experiment some more and see what I can figure out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The home address issue is a real one. I reported a problem with my home address to Rivian in April. I think the simple solution is to allow us to drop a pin (already in the software) and then specify that pin as Work or Home.

·
Registered
69 Posts

Kirk
Just wondering, do you have a substantial benefit from off-hours charging?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't know where you live, but I called my electric provider, PECO, in Pennsylvania and enquired about peak and off peak times for me to charge my vehicle during off peak hours. I was told that residential rates stay the same all 24 hrs every day. The peak and off peak rates only apply to commercial accounts.
I don't know if this is true, but maybe you should verify with your utility.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I don't know where you live, but I called my electric provider, PECO, in Pennsylvania and enquired about peak and off peak times for me to charge my vehicle during off peak hours. I was told that residential rates stay the same all 24 hrs every day. The peak and off peak rates only apply to commercial accounts.
I don't know if this is true, but maybe you should verify with your utility.
Different utilities have different rate schedules.

My utility offers two different options for residential customers. The standard residential rate schedule is a fixed price per kWh, but they offer a Time-of-Use rate schedule that you can opt-in to. They do require a 12 month contract for opting in to TOU, however. I need to sit down and do the math to see if switching to the TOU rate plan makes sense, for me, or not.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Kirk
I too am having this same issue. My driveway is 600’ long. It is reading that my home location is at the road. As a result my set to home function continually locks/unlocks and I also am finding myself walking out to the truck late at night to change charge levels based on the next days drive.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts