Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll start by saying that I love the truck, but am worried about it being my everyday vehicle. I have a deposit on the Ford Lightning, but hope the kinks can be worked out of this. My 2 days of ownership issues:

1. Serious lack of storage for a everyday vehicle - trunk/frunk, gear tunnel, under-seat storage all great. But the ridiculously small center console that is super deep makes no sense. Could use a tray at the top or utilize the wasted space between the driver and passenger legs space. Drivers need a place for glasses/sunglasses, pens, misc. crap. I'll probably end up purchasing a visor organizer and something to place on floor, but this is a little short sighted on behalf of the engineers.
2. Music - System doesn't offer Sirius XM, Apple CarPlay, or Android. Being so high-tech, needs to have ability to download apps and not require using Bluetooth and operating via your phone. Also, sometimes hard to get music to start playing again after it pauses for a call or something else.
3. Lock/Unlock - Holy crap what a pain if you park near truck. Can be disabled, but seems like there could be a fix.
4. Need more ability to control functions from steering wheel so you don't take eyes off the road to maneuver through screen.
5. Would prefer real cupholders (large) and not small pop-out.
6. Drive modes - these are a little quirky when it comes to heights. It gives you the option of changing heights, but it seems to lower or raise on it's own.

That's it for now. Hoping accessory companies get rolling with custom items so that I can get some storage organization going.

Even with my petty complaints, still a badass truck.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Hey @NSB-R1T welcome to the forum! The llack of SiriusXM, apple carplay/android auto has been the subject of many discussions on here. That's pretty much a result of Amazon's investment in Rivian.

With your lock/unlock issue. Are you finding that the truck unlocks if you park near it?

Also, Do you have any photos of your R1T you can share?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'll start by saying that I love the truck, but am worried about it being my everyday vehicle. I have a deposit on the Ford Lightning, but hope the kinks can be worked out of this. My 2 days of ownership issues:

1. Serious lack of storage for a everyday vehicle - trunk/frunk, gear tunnel, under-seat storage all great. But the ridiculously small center console that is super deep makes no sense. Could use a tray at the top or utilize the wasted space between the driver and passenger legs space. Drivers need a place for glasses/sunglasses, pens, misc. crap. I'll probably end up purchasing a visor organizer and something to place on floor, but this is a little short sighted on behalf of the engineers.
Not sure if "under-seat storage" was a reference to the hinged back seat bottom or to the small pop-out tray under the front seats (or both), but if by some chance you weren't aware of the latter it would seem a good spot to keep sunglasses/pens/etc.

·
Registered
Tesla Model Y LR 2020; Rivian R1T Adventure 2022 (Reservation)
66 Posts
I like this. Regular (permanent) cupholders tend to get filled with junk in my car. Then I need to move that junk to actually use as a cup holder.
I think the lack of additional storage space is a contributor to the cup holders being used as storage space for things like coins, pens, and sunglasses.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was leery of the cupholders ever since I saw the first design. Oh well not a deal breaker.

I actually hate every version (has only been 3) of carplay that I've used. The UI is never as good as a modern smartphone. Just let it connect via bluetooth and share a screen. (This being said I'm yet to even lay hands on a Rivian so...yea)

·
Registered
Tesla Model Y LR 2020; Rivian R1T Adventure 2022 (Reservation)
66 Posts
I was leery of the cupholders ever since I saw the first design. Oh well not a deal breaker.

I actually hate every version (has only been 3) of carplay that I've used. The UI is never as good as a modern smartphone. Just let it connect via bluetooth and share a screen. (This being said I'm yet to even lay hands on a Rivian so...yea)
I've put a little over 40k miles on a Tesla and before I bought it I was expecting the lack of Android Auto to be a major pain, but Tesla's navigation and entertainment interfaces are pretty good and improving all the time. I don't mind using my phone and bluetooth for specific app streaming either. I suspect Rivian's software will be similar to Tesla's and have good regular updates (eventually).

·
Registered
132 Posts
Regarding ride height changes, the user manual says that in All-Purpose drive mode the truck is kept at standard ride height for city driving and changes to low ride height at highway speeds to increase range.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts