Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
That would stick out quite far. Impractical for use in any parking lot, street parking, or garage. Doesn't mean they couldn't do it... but it should be a relatively flat tray with no/short sides so you can still access everything in situations where they can't be puled out.
Agree, the modular tray needs to be flat and accessible without sliding out. I will put my own gear on the tray or in a bin that goes on the tray. My modular tray system is more like a drawer.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Agree, the modular tray needs to be flat and accessible without sliding out. I will put my own gear on the tray or in a bin that goes on the tray. My modular tray system is more like a drawer.
If you're going use your own bins, then why need the tray, at all?

Consider that pulling the tray out all on one side would require at least 5 feet of clearance.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I work Search and Rescue, so having additional workspace, think laptop and printer, would be nice. Also being able to slide out the tray would allow easier access to the stuff towards the middle.

This would be an open space/wilderness application, not a parking lot.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I work Search and Rescue, so having additional workspace, think laptop and printer, would be nice. Also being able to slide out the tray would allow easier access to the stuff towards the middle.

This would be an open space/wilderness application, not a parking lot.
If Rivian doesn't offer it, then there's room for the aftermarket or a DIY solution.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I was also thinking about golf clubs in the gear tunnel, but removing them from the side will be difficult in a full parking lot.
That's a good point and not just with golf clubs but anything long that doesn't bend including a slide out tray. I guess you would just have to either find a parking spot wide enough or temp park and unload it first before parking.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
239 Posts
I plan to use the gear tunnel more for things I don’t take out often. Tire chains, recovery kit, toolbox, med kit, etc. things like golf clubs, skis, backpack, climbing gear, etc. would go in the truck bed locked under the tonneau cover. The one exception would be guns when I’m hunting. Those would likely stay in the gear tunnel. But where I hunt, I seldom have to worry about someone parking next to me!

·
Registered
191 Posts
additional workspace, think laptop and printer, would be nice.
So instead of a pullout kitchen, a pullout desk / flat tray. Seems like a simple enough implementation for an after market company (or a handy DIYer) could do leveraging the rail system used for the pullout camp kitchen. And I know there are lights within the tunnel so any power needs could be tapped into unless Rivian makes available an easier power connect anticipating other accessories for the gear tunnel that would require electrical power access.

Side note / FYI. I had asked Rivian some time ago if the gear tunnel would be conditioned spaced (e.g. heated/cooled) and they said no.

·
Registered
485 Posts
So instead of a pullout kitchen, a pullout desk / flat tray. Seems like a simple enough implementation for an after market company (or a handy DIYer) could do leveraging the rail system used for the pullout camp kitchen. And I know there are lights within the tunnel so any power needs could be tapped into unless Rivian makes available an easier power connect anticipating other accessories for the gear tunnel that would require electrical power access.

Side note / FYI. I had asked Rivian some time ago if the gear tunnel would be conditioned spaced (e.g. heated/cooled) and they said no.
It'd be nice if the rail system was sold as an accessory, so you could build DIY systems on the Rivian slides.

Rivian has said a 120V household outlet will be available in the gear tunnel (that's what the camp kitchen induction cooktop will use for power) so you can certainly get power for most needs, there.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I thought I had read earlier the rail system was going to be installed as standard. Maybe not, I guess it's back to Rivian Chat to get "more details as we get closer to production".

·
Registered
485 Posts
I thought I had read earlier the rail system was going to be installed as standard. Maybe not, I guess it's back to Rivian Chat to get "more details as we get closer to production".
My understanding is the structure in the gear tunnel exists as standard to support the rail system, but if you don't buy the rails then you're not going to have them (they're not standard).

·
Registered
1 Posts
It'd be great if it held my golf clubs. I might also consider stowing guns if I'm heading to the range. Otherwise, I'd probably keep a bag in there with tow straps, gloves, towels, first aid kit, etc.
Don’t forget about the storage under the rear seat… that Is probably where I will be putting my random gear like that.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Don’t forget about the storage under the rear seat… that Is probably where I will be putting my random gear like that.
I'm getting the 400 mile "max" pack and the rumor is the underseat storage will be lost to accommodate the larger battery.

If there is underseat storage then I'll certainly keep tow straps and first aid kit there, as I have done in previous trucks... But I've already accepted that space may not be available.

Having the gear tunnel and frunk more than makes up for that, however!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I actually wonder what a Police spec Rivian would hold in that area.
A few will probably end up as police fleet somewhere (Dubai?)
a place to put a suspect or two.
in Dubai fuel lis under a buck a gallon
Anyone know if said gear tunnel creates a hump in the ice up bed?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm getting the 400 mile "max" pack and the rumor is the underseat storage will be lost to accommodate the larger battery.

If there is underseat storage then I'll certainly keep tow straps and first aid kit there, as I have done in previous trucks... But I've already accepted that space may not be available.

Having the gear tunnel and frunk more than makes up for that, however!
anyone know for sure where the 'extra' batteries for the extended range models would be?
we need storage more than range

·
Registered
62 Posts
anyone know for sure where the 'extra' batteries for the extended range models would be?
While I don't know where the additional batteries for the Max pack will go, I think the reverse is the case relative to range vs storage . With the frunk and gear tunnel, the R1T already has more storage than its ICE counterpart.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Rivian has said that it will take up the space under the 2nd row seat. It's possible we'll lose those storage cubbies in the MAX PACK equipped vehicles.

An easy compromise to make, imo. The frunk and gear tunnel more than make up for that!

·
Super Moderator
2015 Tesla Model S 85D, 2019 Toyota 4Runner TRD OffRoad
239 Posts
Just get the damn RAN built and we won’t need max packs! 🙏

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just get the damn RAN built and we won’t need max packs! 🙏
I would have to agree, I would bet that less than 5% (being generous here) of people purchasing ICE vehicles even ask what the range is during the purchase process.

As the charging infrastructure is built out, this will become less and less of an issue.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I would have to agree, I would bet that less than 5% (being generous here) of people purchasing ICE vehicles even ask what the range is during the purchase process.
Yes, but are there any vehicles sold today with less than 350 miles range? And hot/cold doesn't affect ICE range as much as EV range. And going from 0 mile range to 350+ mile range is a <5 minute proposition in an ICE vehicle.

There are reasons EV range anxiety exists among the general public (myself included).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes, but are there any vehicles sold today with less than 350 miles range? And hot/cold doesn't affect ICE range as much as EV range. And going from 0 mile range to 350+ mile range is a <5 minute proposition in an ICE vehicle.

There are reasons EV range anxiety exists among the general public (myself included).
I think the fact that you have to ask this question kind of makes my point. It is not something that is tracked or looked at with ICE vehicles so people do not really know. Do a few web searches, people aren't asking that question. The variance also exists in ICE vehicles not so much for temperature but that also impacts performance and fuel mileage but more with terrain, wind, and speed. Since there is virtually a filling station on every other corner it is just not something people really care about.

I firmly believe once the charging infrastructure is built out it will be less of an issue for people.

I had concerns when I first purchased my Tesla but after 5 years it is barely a thought and I can say I have zero anxiety about range based on my experience with the car.

I am in SoCal so I am sure the number of charging locations has a lot to do with it which is why I originally stated that once the infrastructure is built out, it will be much less of an issue.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts