Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks!

Excited to see the Rivians come to market. My order is in.

I know the EPA range is listed at 314 miles. Watching several review videos posted in the last month, shots of the R1T screens clearly show the max range at between 230-250 miles.

77% charge with 179 miles, and 79% charge with 183 miles are two of many examples. These would indicate about 230 miles range at 100% charge.

Curious if folks have asked about this? Do the demo pre-production trucks have a 135kwh battery or perhaps smaller?

Cheers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello folks!

I know the EPA range is listed at 314 miles. Watching several review videos posted in the last month, shots of the R1T screens clearly show the max range at between 230-250 miles.

77% charge with 179 miles, and 79% charge with 183 miles are two of many examples. These would indicate about 230 miles range at 100% charge.

Curious if folks have asked about this? Do the demo pre-production trucks have a 135kwh battery or perhaps smaller?

Cheers.
a Factor of the reduced range is conserve mode setting. Ambo addressed this on Instagram. http://instagr.am/p/CU3KmO8LAXa/

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hello folks!

Cheers.

A lot depends on the tires you choose. They are claiming a 10-15% range reduction with the 20" AT tires. You also need to consider your driving habits, drive mode selected and AC/Heat use.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hello folks!

Cheers.
I noticed the same thing here in reviews that I’ve watched and read. That’s why I’ve been seriously reconsidering changing my build to no longer be a LE version and instead get the Max Battery Pack. The issue now is that I’d the revised EV Tax Credit Bill goes through with the proposed MSRP Caps an R1T spec’d with just then base Explore Package and Max Pack would have a MSRP of $77,500. Therefore it would not qualify for tax credit.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I noticed the same thing here in reviews that I’ve watched and read. That’s why I’ve been seriously reconsidering changing my build to no longer be a LE version and instead get the Max Battery Pack. The issue now is that I’d the revised EV Tax Credit Bill goes through with the proposed MSRP Caps an R1T spec’d with just then base Adventure Package and Max Pack would have a MSRP of $77,500. Therefore it would not qualify for tax credit.
An Adventure+Max would be a minimum of $83k + destination/tax.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Supposedly, along with enabling only Front Wheel Drive, "Conserve mode" also sets max battery charge level at 70%. Once you factor that in.. 70% of 320mi is 224mi, and that's what we're seeing in the videos.
Okay, so does that mean you could charge the vehicle fully while it’s not in Conserve Mode, then once it’s done change it to Conserve Mode and have access to the full battery capacity?

When I learned there would be a Conserve Mode, I was hoping it would offer longer range capability as the mane suggest. I envisioned it would be a good drive mode choice that for those longer highway cruising drives where maximizing range would likely be preferred over performance.

·
Registered
103 Posts
So what happens when you charge to 90% then drive in Conserve Mode?
The drive mode is separate from battery charging. Conserve mode reduces the amount of energy consumed. How you charge the battery depends on how you plan to use it. If you are taking a long trip, it would make sense to charge to 100% and you will see the full range of the battery available to use. If you are just using it for a daily commute, you might only charge to 70% and the available range will be less, but choosing conserve mode will save energy no matter the state of battery charge.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
The drive mode is separate from battery charging. Conserve mode reduces the amount of energy consumed. How you charge the battery depends on how you plan to use it. If you are taking a long trip, it would make sense to charge to 100% and you will see the full range of the battery available to use. If you are just using it for a daily commute, you might only charge to 70% and the available range will be less, but choosing conserve mode will save energy no matter the state of battery charge.
Your assertion does not seem to jive with the pictures we've seen. What we're seeing is the battery meter seems to show the 70% charge limit as "100%" on the driver display.

The whole thing seems odd and needs official clarification, imo.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The battery management system is designed to give a "real time" range, which is to say that it learns your driving habits and then attempts to give you the most accurate real world range. It's essentially giving you an expected range based on previous performance data.
If you've seen photos of an R1T that has been used for media days or First Mile, it's likely that those vehicles are "using" charge but not traveling anywhere because they are essentially demonstration vehicles for extended periods of time. So a battery that uses 20 miles of "range" but doesn't travel anywhere would reduce the expected range that the battery management system calculates.
It's just like my ICE vehicle that reduces "Distance to Empty" when I'm in traffic and moving slowly.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
The battery management system is designed to give a "real time" range, which is to say that it learns your driving habits and then attempts to give you the most accurate real world range. It's essentially giving you an expected range based on previous performance data.
If you've seen photos of an R1T that has been used for media days or First Mile, it's likely that those vehicles are "using" charge but not traveling anywhere because they are essentially demonstration vehicles for extended periods of time. So a battery that uses 20 miles of "range" but doesn't travel anywhere would reduce the expected range that the battery management system calculates.
It's just like my ICE vehicle that reduces "Distance to Empty" when I'm in traffic and moving slowly.
The pictures I'm referring to are from employees who have taken delivery of their own personal R1Ts. Ambosrivians, on Instagram, is one example. These are vehicles in normal use and being charged regularly.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
That performance based range data should get interesting as more highway miles get put on these.
BTW, welcome to the forum.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.