Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Red/Black R1T Adventure, max pack, off-road, 22 Sports.
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used to live at a ski resort and tires matter more than anything. It matters little if it is rwd, awd, 4wd, or fwd. It is the tires that make the difference. The weight of the Rivian will work against it when braking in snow. It is just physics.
That's why you see so many pickups and SUVs in the ditch during a snowstorm - overconfidence combined with a touch of recklessness. I'll be curious if anyone ever figures out an effective ABS system that allows one to lock the wheels when it's snowy?

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's why you see so many pickups and SUVs in the ditch during a snowstorm - overconfidence combined with a touch of recklessness. I'll be curious if anyone ever figures out an effective ABS system that allows one to lock the wheels when it's snowy?
Most truck tires are garbage in the snow. My Jeep with 40s was terrible in the snow. My Audi with Nokian snow tires was a beast in the snow. It comes down to siping and the rubber compound.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Best car I ever had in the snow was my VW Bug. Rear engine, narrow tires, and light weight combined to make the Bug a great snow car. The only problem was lack of clearance when things started piling up.

·
Registered
Red/Black R1T Adventure, max pack, off-road, 22 Sports.
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Best car I ever had in the snow was my VW Bug. Rear engine, narrow tires, and light weight combined to make the Bug a great snow car. The only problem was lack of clearance when things started piling up.
You also forgot a lack of heat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts