Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2022 R1T Very Canyon Red
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some things you should know before you go...

First of all, pretty much everything worked perfectly on my 730 mile trip from the Hudson Valley to Ottawa and back. The truck performed brilliantly. Chargers were where they said the would be, and they all worked (all but three of the 18 charging stations at the four charging stops I made were vacant when I pulled up).

Second... Expect to be delayed at the border both ways. Not in a scary way... it actually was fun. Think of yourself as Brand ambassador, which you are as an early adapter. The border folks, like anyone else, are curious about the vehicle and they have a lot of question about it. They were not interested in border security or immigration or anything like that... they just had never seen anything like it. They wanted to know about range speed, cost of operation, price, comfort, just like anyone else. Of course, they also asked about all the storage areas... but they did not look inside other than to peer at screens.

Third... the janky Amazon maps does work up north, BUT the database does not include Electrify Canada charging stations which are the only option I could find for high speed charging north of the border. Thank goodness for ABetterRoutePlanner (www.abetterrouteplanner.com) ... Don't leave home without it. U.S. credit card and ApplePay on my iPhone worked without a hitch. ABRPs estimates of distance, range consumption were all spot on . Only "time at charger" estimates were off.

The map app successfully got me to my destination in downtown Ottawa... although I did have WAZE running for backup. Both map apps chose pretty much the same routes on most legs of the trip.

Fourth... switching the units to metric from Imperial at the border headed north was transparent and easy (Settings App, Vehicle, Units). I did it on the bridge. You just have to push the one button for "units" at the top and both speed and miles setting automatically change.

HOWEVER... coming back, the switch back to imperial from metric did not work so well. After I pushed the button, the speed indicator went to miles and then also displayed km/hr just above in smaller type. The cruise control indicator remained in kilometers, and so did the speed limit indicator. I had to do a screen reset to straighten it out.

Fifth... Spotify works just fine Up North, but not all Tune In stations are available (no Bloomberg, for instance)

Sixth... yes you can make a right turn on red in Canada.

All told, this was a fun adventure across a part of New York (up the Adirndacks going north and down through the heart of the state coming back) where high speed chargers are few and far between. I intially was anxious about the journey, but I was pleasantly surprised at how far along the infrastructure has come. It is not quite as good as Tesla -- Tesla has more charging stations and they are fast and reliable -- and I found charging times at every stop were a about 50% longer than ABRP predicted -- but there is no need for range anxiety.

· Registered
44 Posts
Fifth... Spotify works just fine Up North, but not all Tune In stations are available (no Bloomberg, for instance)
Some stations block streams based on your IP. If the server recognizes the IP address as "out of country " it may not let you listen. That being said, our Tesla lets me listen to Canadian stations on TuneIn that I cannot on my phone (without jumping through VPN hoops). Not sure why.

Sixth... yes you can make a right turn on red in Canada.
Not on the island of Montreal! 😀 Although this is better than years ago when the entire province of Quebec outlawed turn right on red.

· Registered
2022 R1T Very Canyon Red
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are welcome... On the way home, I charged up near Utica at Denny's Red Roof in Herkimer... four good Electrify America chargers, all working, and a decent Denny's. Are you the green R1T in Kingston?

· Registered
2022 R1T no spare, no tonneau, El Cap, dark 22's
78 Posts
You are welcome... On the way home, I charged up near Utica at Denny's Red Roof in Herkimer... four good Electrify America chargers, all working, and a decent Denny's. Are you the green R1T in Kingston?
Good reporting, thanks. My daughter lives in Ann Arbor and the Tesla app directs me through Canada from Ellenvile, NY I did have some concern about border crossings, but no more.
Funny tidbit, I parked in a public garage in DUMBO, Brooklyn this week. I got a ticket that said "Ford". I was told Rivian is not in the computer yet, although they were quite familiar with the operation of the key card since 2 already park there regularly,

· Registered
2022 R1T Very Canyon Red
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yep... ABRP takes you the same way... even when I had a Tesla, I NEVER trusted either their trip planning on board or their range estimates. ABetterRoutePlanner.com hit the number spot on from my Rivian (the truck is in their database) as well for realistic planning with the Tesla.

The route through Canada is a straight route and there are plenty of good charger along Canada's highway. Easy, peasy. You have an R1 in Ellenville?

· Registered
157 Posts
Need pics. Brilliant story! I sometimes find myself daydreaming about a long drive (TX to Toronto and back). I'd actually like to drive all the way to Quebec City. Farthest Ive ever driven is Denver to Dallas. So, it may remain a dream.

· Registered
2022 R1T Very Canyon Red
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I called EC and asked if their gizmos would accept the EA app, and they said no. So I downloaded the EC app and tried to set up an account... gave it my e-mail, invented a password... but then it would not accept my login. After three tries, I gave up. On the scene, I wave my phone at the EC charger and it started charging my truck, sending the bill to ApplePay... couldn't be easier.

I worship at the altar of ABetterRoutePlanner. In this case, they have ALL the providers including EA, EC, EvolveNY, Chargepoint and others.... even if you don't buy the premium, you get the 411 on ALL the chargers. Very handy for planning a long trip across a sparsely served area like central New York.

· Registered
2022 R1T no spare, no tonneau, El Cap, dark 22's
78 Posts
yep... ABRP takes you the same way... even when I had a Tesla, I NEVER trusted either their trip planning on board or their range estimates. ABetterRoutePlanner.com hit the number spot on from my Rivian (the truck is in their database) as well for realistic planning with the Tesla.

The route through Canada is a straight route and there are plenty of good charger along Canada's highway. Easy, peasy. You have an R1 in Ellenville?
Yes, El Cap with 22's. In Ellenville for the last 2 weeks. Are you in the area?

· Registered
2 Posts
I had the same experience crossing into Canada from Vermont. The border guys asked me if I wouldn't mind pulling into their inspection bay so they could check it out. As Dr. W mentioned, they were very interested in the storage compartments, and had lots of questions in general as they had never seen one in person before. :)

· Registered
12 Posts
From what I understand, cell connectivity (at least out in BC) can still be an issue depending on the remoteness of the area. One tip I picked up was to have physical RFID cards for your account that you can swipe, which often works when you can't get a signal. BC Hydro and Flo have pretty good coverage - slow but better than nothing. You can request account cards be mailed to you for around $5. Small price for a bit of insurance.

Even though they are separate companies, EC and EA occupy the same slot on my apple wallet. It took me a while to notice that I have to swipe right/left to toggle between them.

· Registered
3 Posts
every alternate week I switch back-n-forth between Seattle, WA and Vancouver, BC. few things form my experiences -

• around Vancouver, I found multiple Petro-Canada gas stations with 350kW fast DC chargers and mostly reliable.
  • now Vancouver has a Rivian service center – that’s great new for me (but need to check out if they will service my R1T which is registered in WA).
  • touchless payment works almost everywhere in Vancouver area (more than Seattle area) - use Apple credit card (no currency conversion fee).
  • every now and then, I need to answer “how did you get this truck? is it available yet in Canada?”
  • Rivian NAV works ok around Vancouver – didn’t explore away from Vancouver yet.
  • switching units back-n-forth works fine for me – I usually switch after I cross the border.
  • left turn is bit different in BC – you are allowed to move up and wait in middle of crossing. on green, you need to let the car (who is waiting in middle of crossing) cross first.

· Registered
12 Posts
Rivian Service Center is open in Richmond Vancouver, great team to deal with. Very interested in your experience driving the R1T. My R1T is registered in California. Scheduled an appt to look at heating issue I had. Driving up from Los Angeles to Vancouver Notes: 1. Range estimates are optimistic. On a full charge you will end up with 50 to 70 miles less than expected 2. Below 20% battery percent drops dramatically 3. 50 Kwt stations are faster than the ones advertised at 150/350 Kwts in some cases on the trip. 4. Be sure to have snow socks in the truck if you have 20 inch tires in the winter. Chains aren't available for this size tire 5. Be aware that the Frunk might not open if you get any buildup of snow on it, even if you clear it off the icy residue case problems. 6 Buttons to open up the tailgate or Chunnel might not be available if you leave the truck out overnight due to snow and ice. 7. Put truck in Camp Mode to minimize battery loss overnight 8. In Vancouver the Petro-Can stations are not reliable to work at stated capacity. 9. If from the States, don't even try to use the Journie/On The Run Stations. Charging station won't work without the app which is only available for Canadian iPhone and if you try to change countries on your phone you will get a message that you have to delete your Apple Music Subscription to make this change.

· Registered
2022 R1T Very Canyon Red
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Similar experiences, but not entirely.

Range estimate on main display is a guess. I've found, however, that the estimated charge remaining at destination displayed at the end of your navigation log window (where it repeats the address and gives you total distance of the trip, the battery remaining figure is given as a percent) is always dead-on. I am guessing that it uses the actual energy uses over some recent period to do the maths. FWIW, I've noticed a 20% drop in miles/kwh at the 5-to-15 degree temperatures we were getting here around Christmas and to 45-to-50 degree temps yesterday and today (1.95 in the cold weather, 2.40 in the warm weather). This is typical of all EVs, and has to do with battery temps AND use of accessories like heaters, defrosters, tushy warmers and sterring wheel heaters, headlights and such. ICE cars also consume more fuel in ultra-cold weather, especially on short trips.

ABRP—ABetterRoutePlanner.com—seems to have all the factors programmed into their route planning algorithms. If you pay for the premium service, it will import actual current weather conditions for planning. I never leave home without it. ABRB spoke directly to my Tesla (RIP) and thus was able to access current state of charge and recent energy consumption rates. Super convenient and much more accurate than the onboard planning system. On my longer drives (Ottawa, Boston, NYC) it's range numbers are accurate and it reports ALL charging stations along the route. I can't wait for ABRP to be able access Rivians directly... I can see that coming: ABRP already has an option in the latest edition to send a flight plan directly to the Rivian… but the truck refuses to accept it. I expect the interface between the two vehicles will evolve with time.

I charged twice in Canada, both times at Electrify Canada stations just over the border, and I found the equipment worked as advertised, was in like-new conditions. My iPhone worked just fine with Apple Pay in one case, and I waved my credit card with no problems at the other.

Good tip about camp mode. I didn't do that and I lost 4% of charge overnight in Adirondacks this week!

I have experienced the frozen gear tunnel release buttons and the frozen tailgate/tonneau switch problem too. I will pay special attention to those areas as I dig out after a snow or ice storm.

In the supercold-after-the-rainstorm event, the arctic cold front froze my door handles in the open position overnight (I keep the car unlocked on my driveway). Tailgate would not open either, and neither would the tonneau retract. Had to park it in the direct sunlight to get access to the bed again. The truck drove just fine with door handles sticking out. No sign of damage to the mechanism after everything was thawed.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts