Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone explain why the R1T when tow harness is plugged in it would automatically show a reduced mileage range without knowing what was being towed?
In example I would be towing a small 13’ fiberglass camper fully loaded about 2,000 pounds.
I would think reduced mileage range would be much less than say a 5,000 pound trailer. By not being an aggressive or fast driver. I don’t tow over 60 mph.
Or does the vehicle learn as it goes and revise the reduced range?
I don’t yet have the R1T but have a preorder for one with the extended battery.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm in a similar situation: My trailer is a 15-1/2 foot teardrop ([email protected] 320) that is 1,300 lbs dry and well under 2,000 lbs with all gear stowed and the tanks topped up. My understanding is that for lighter loads like ours, the big range loss has to do with increased drag rather than mass. While we need more data to be able to accurately project range loss, it seems highly likely that it will be fairly close to the 50% penalty that the Rivian testing with an 11,000 lb load showed.

I'm expecting a 40% loss, which makes the R1T Max with its nominal range of 412 miles marginally acceptable. Assuming that because of time constraints, en-route charging will roughly follow 80/20 SOC parameters, I expect to have an effective range while towing of about 160 miles. That figure would be reduced substantially in hot or cold conditions, so I may be looking at closer to 120 miles. That's acceptable for much of the country, but will be a real challenge transiting the prairie states and much of Canada.

The issue will be mitigated once the charging network is built out, something that is presently happening at a pretty good clip. It's unlikely that Rivian will be able to produce and deliver the R1T Max before 2024, giving plenty of time for the needed charging network growth.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'm in a similar situation: My trailer is a 15-1/2 foot teardrop ([email protected] 320) that is 1,300 lbs dry and well under 2,000 lbs with all gear stowed and the tanks topped up. My understanding is that for lighter loads like ours, the big range loss has to do with increased drag rather than mass. While we need more data to be able to accurately project range loss, it seems highly likely that it will be fairly close to the 50% penalty that the Rivian testing with an 11,000 lb load showed.

I'm expecting a 40% loss, which makes the R1T Max with its nominal range of 412 miles marginally acceptable. Assuming that because of time constraints, en-route charging will roughly follow 80/20 SOC parameters, I expect to have an effective range while towing of about 160 miles. That figure would be reduced substantially in hot or cold conditions, so I may be looking at closer to 120 miles. That's acceptable for much of the country, but will be a real challenge transiting the prairie states and much of Canada.

The issue will be mitigated once the charging network is built out, something that is presently happening at a pretty good clip. It's unlikely that Rivian will be able to produce and deliver the R1T Max before 2024, giving plenty of time for the needed charging network growth.
Well said. Range is a king

1 - 4 of 4 Posts