Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What weight is your boat/trailer and what kind of range are you getting?
Boat is about 6k, as advertised, when you select tow mode it cuts it in half. I only tow 12 miles round trip to launch so its a nonevent. It tows well, pleanty of power.
I have to do some more research, but why can't you switch to all purpose mode if your just on the highway?

· Registered
105 Posts
Boat is about 6k, as advertised, when you select tow mode it cuts it in half. I only tow 12 miles round trip to launch so its a nonevent. It tows well, pleanty of power.
I have to do some more research, but why can't you switch to all purpose mode if your just on the highway?
I believe you can. Someone posted a bunch of towing tests a while ago and compared range reduction in different driving modes. Since I don’t have a truck yet…..I’m of no help to you!

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe you can. Someone posted a bunch of towing tests a while ago and compared range reduction in different driving modes. Since I don’t have a truck yet…..I’m of no help to you!
I'm just shy of 2k miles and it's been fun so far. Do you know when yours will arrive? Where r u located?

· Registered
105 Posts
I'm just shy of 2k miles and it's been fun so far. Do you know when yours will arrive? Where r u located?
Hopefully will find out a more exact date at the end of the month along with all the other preorder holders. As of now, not a clue, reserved 2/21 but switched from a max to large pack a couple of months ago. I’m in Southern Oregon. Glad to hear you’re loving the truck!

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hopefully will find out a more exact date at the end of the month along with all the other preorder holders. As of now, not a clue, reserved 2/21 but switched from a max to large pack a couple of months ago. I’m in Southern Oregon. Glad to hear you’re loving the truck!
Mine was due nov/Dec but I was given access to the store and got this one 3 mth early. I'm in western NY

· Registered
Tesla Model Y LR 2020; Rivian R1T Adventure 2022 (Reservation)
110 Posts
As people figure out the best uses for EVs, they will excel for towing around town in the 50-100 mile range.
There's so much animosity toward EV towing capability. I don't have actual statistics, but I bet more than 90% of trucks sold are never used to tow anything, ever. And 90% of the ones that do tow only tow short distances. How often do you see non-big-rigs towing trailers on the interstate? Maybe 1 in 1000 vehicles?

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There's so much animosity toward EV towing capability. I don't have actual statistics, but I bet more than 90% of trucks sold are never used to tow anything, ever. And 90% of the ones that do tow only tow short distances. How often do you see non-big-rigs towing trailers on the interstate? Maybe 1 in 1000 vehicles?
It's just a different mindset for towing. When my friends tow their big campers with HD trucks they get 7 mpg. So when I select tow mode I expect the range to go down. You just have to plan ahead a little.
The R1T tows great.

· Registered
Tesla Model Y LR 2020; Rivian R1T Adventure 2022 (Reservation)
110 Posts
It's just a different mindset for towing. When my friends tow their big campers with HD trucks they get 7 mpg. So when I select tow mode I expect the range to go down. You just have to plan ahead a little.
The R1T tows great.
Yes. But something like an F250 has a 34 gallon tank. Even if they drop to 7 mpg they still have 230+ miles of range. If it's as low as 6 mpg they're still around 200 miles of range. That's nearly double an R1T. (I'd still rather have an R1T, by the way ;) )

The other part is that fuel stations are ABUNDANT and the refueling process is quick. We're a LONG way off from that being true for any sort of EV. It's going to take more than 200kwh battery packs and more than 350kw charging to be remotely close to a similar experience. Look at what Tesla is doing with the semi. They're doing something like a 500kwh battery with 1000kw charging.

· Registered
6 Posts
You probably can. But the truck automatically switches to tow when you plug your lights in at the hitch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts