Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a LE Rivian R1T and tow a 3000 lb pop-up camper and approximately 500 lbs of payload. I get a 25% loss in range while towing in the mountains of Tennessee. The R1T tows it extremely well and I hardly recognize it's back there. Have never had to use the electric brakes.

The R1T mileage available on the screen immediately drops to 50% when I put it in tow mode but gradually increases as I tow. Rivian could certainly do a better job of estimating the range available after the weight of the trailer has been back there a while.

Items to consider when camping with a tow trailer

-Trailer weight does have an impact on range, but it is manageable
-Aerodynamics can have a much bigger impact on rangeso go low profile if you can
-The Rivian low center of gravity gives a good towing experience
-Drafting behind a trailer truck gives a nice boost in range, use it as a range buffer but don't depend on it. You can actually see the impact of drafting on the efficiency guage.
-Regen is higher with the trailer weight added but don't plan on it providing extra driving distance
-Pre-planning has allowed me to go just about anywhere in the state and Tennessee does not have good FC infrastructure
-I reserve campsites with both 30 & 50 amp outlets - one for the camper and one for charging the R1T
- I use campgrounds as my final backup charging plan while traveling - No luck finding a charger? I'll plan on camping over night and charge while sleeping. Most have shower accomodations as well. Campground apps abound on the internet.
-We're planning on a cross country trip in our pop-up this fall - just have to pre-plan well but definitely can be done
-anyone have experience with cross country camping yet? Would love any advice.

Happy Camping

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a LE Rivian R1T and tow a 3000 lb pop-up camper and approximately 500 lbs of payload. I get a 25% loss in range while towing in the mountains of Tennessee. The R1T tows it extremely well and I hardly recognize it's back there. Have never had to use the electric brakes.

The R1T mileage available on the screen immediately drops to 50% when I put it in tow mode but gradually increases as I tow. Rivian could certainly do a better job of estimating the range available after the weight of the trailer has been back there a while.

Items to consider when camping with a tow trailer

-Trailer weight does have an impact on range, but it is manageable
-Aerodynamics can have a much bigger impact on rangeso go low profile if you can
-The Rivian low center of gravity gives a good towing experience
-Drafting behind a trailer truck gives a nice boost in range, use it as a range buffer but don't depend on it. You can actually see the impact of drafting on the efficiency guage.
-Regen is higher with the trailer weight added but don't plan on it providing extra driving distance
-Pre-planning has allowed me to go just about anywhere in the state and Tennessee does not have good FC infrastructure
-I reserve campsites with both 30 & 50 amp outlets - one for the camper and one for charging the R1T
- I use campgrounds as my final backup charging plan while traveling - No luck finding a charger? I'll plan on camping over night and charge while sleeping. Most have shower accomodations as well. Campground apps abound on the internet.
-We're planning on a cross country trip in our pop-up this fall - just have to pre-plan well but definitely can be done
-anyone have experience with cross country camping yet? Would love any advice.

Happy Camping
All Good Stuff. We had used a pop up with my Jeep GC but the last few outings we have been renting a 22' Airstream. I probably am not going to get the mileage you get when my R1T is delivered just because of the additonal weight (around 5K lbs) and high profile but we are looking forward to see just how far we can get with that trailer behind the R1T.

Happy Travels!

·
Registered
Tesla Model Y LR 2020; Rivian R1T Adventure 2022 (Reservation)
66 Posts
I'm pretty excited about the options for cross country camping as well. I think focusing on campgrounds where you can charge and plug in the trailer is a great goal. For me the main reason to have a camper is to see different parts of the country. If I can make even 150 miles and set up for the night again I'd be a happy camper. With an occasional stop at a fast charger to make a further drive between campgrounds I'm pretty sure it will be a very enjoyable way of getting around.

Everything I've seen and read says that aerodynamics are far more important than weight. It will be interesting to see what new camper trailer products come along with EV towing in mind. There already are some very aerodynamic options, but I suspect we'll see a whole new level.

·
Registered
1 Posts
All Good Stuff. We had used a pop up with my Jeep GC but the last few outings we have been renting a 22' Airstream. I probably am not going to get the mileage you get when my R1T is delivered just because of the additonal weight (around 5K lbs) and high profile but we are looking forward to see just how far we can get with that trailer behind the R1T.

Happy Travels!
Would love to hear your experience towing the Airstream with the R1T... we have an Airstream Basecamp 20X that we plan to pull with an R1S. We're in central TX so it's a long drive to get to where we like to go in northern NM and Southern CO. Unfortunately, it's just not the ideal case for an EV at this time but hoping it improves with charging and infrastructure developments over time. It might turn out that the R1S just makes more sense for shorter trips and in town use (95% of our driving) while we still use ICE for longer trips.

Here's an interesting electric travel trailer concept from Airstream for anyone that hasn't seen it:
eStream Concept Travel Trailer from Airstream

·
Registered
54 Posts
Would love to hear your experience towing the Airstream with the R1T... we have an Airstream Basecamp 20X that we plan to pull with an R1S. We're in central TX so it's a long drive to get to where we like to go in northern NM and Southern CO. Unfortunately, it's just not the ideal case for an EV at this time but hoping it improves with charging and infrastructure developments over time. It might turn out that the R1S just makes more sense for shorter trips and in town use (95% of our driving) while we still use ICE for longer trips.

Here's an interesting electric travel trailer concept from Airstream for anyone that hasn't seen it:
eStream Concept Travel Trailer from Airstream
We will start with short hops where I know I can make it, but it is a 22ft Caravel we rent off of Outdoorsy. Counting on losing 50% of range and anything I get better than that is gravy :)

·
Registered
Tesla Model Y LR 2020; Rivian R1T Adventure 2022 (Reservation)
66 Posts
We will start with short hops where I know I can make it, but it is a 22ft Caravel we rent off of Outdoorsy. Counting on losing 50% of range and anything I get better than that is gravy :)
That's the right mindset. And I think you're setting yourself up for success.

Why rent instead of purchase?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts