Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Prius, 2012 Tacoma, 2012 Vespa GTV300
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have missed it, but I haven't seen anyone mention the Ford Maverick as a competitor. While Rivian's current offerings are obviously luxury vehicles, I feel that a percentage of potential owners are considering at least the following three things during their vehicle shopping process; price, fuel economy and size. Everyone likes a good deal. BEV is great but a very fuel efficient hybrid is still very attractive to most. If your even considering an R1T then you're happy with a mid-size truck and probably like it for it's smaller size.
It would be interesting to see how many R1T preorders get cancelled in favour of a Ford Maverick. Unfortunately it wouldn't work for me due to it's lower tow rating.

·
Registered
R1S Adventure (ordered 10/27/21), Red Canyon. Genesis GV 60 Mauna Red (bought 9/10/22)
111 Posts
considering at least the following three things during their vehicle shopping process; price, fuel economy and size.
Don't discount that a lot of people will want something from a major brand and the things that entails (like having a dealer that can do maintenance/repairs locally)

We are taking a certain risk assuming that Rivian/Tesla/Lucid/etc. will be around in ten years (at least those of us who keep our vehicles for a longer time).

Even some of the big brands have come close to bankruptcy.

·
Registered
2022 Ford Mach E Premium ER AWD
48 Posts
I may have missed it, but I haven't seen anyone mention the Ford Maverick as a competitor. While Rivian's current offerings are obviously luxury vehicles, I feel that a percentage of potential owners are considering at least the following three things during their vehicle shopping process; price, fuel economy and size. Everyone likes a good deal. BEV is great but a very fuel efficient hybrid is still very attractive to most. If your even considering an R1T then you're happy with a mid-size truck and probably like it for it's smaller size.
It would be interesting to see how many R1T preorders get cancelled in favour of a Ford Maverick. Unfortunately it wouldn't work for me due to it's lower tow rating.

I agree I called out the Maverick in another post. I have been waiting to make the move to EV for a couple of years but I want a truck. Rivians size looked to be the best since I owned a Tacoma at the time. The long delivery times shown across the board for EV trucks are moving me more to the Maverick. 40 MPG combined is pretty outstanding. Most small SUVs have trouble getting those numbers. Plus the option of a 360 camera for under $400 as an option makes this a great city hauler. The uses I have the need a truck for are carrying kayaks, Vespas, mountain bikes, and the 3 or 4 times a year I need to haul landscaping materials for the house. A small to mid-size truck meets 80-90% of truck users today. I tow a few times a year as I don't own anything that needs a trailer like a boat or a camper. Right now the Maverick is the best truck being sold IMO as it's also one of the cheapest vehicles you can buy period. Next year with more "normal" priced EV truck options my opinion might change.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't discount that a lot of people will want something from a major brand and the things that entails (like having a dealer that can do maintenance/repairs locally)
That is an excellent point. Thank you. This is actually one of my concerns with Rivian and the R1T. For example, if Toyota produces a comparable BEV pickup in the near future, I would wholeheartedly favour it over the R1T based on my previous ownership experience.

·
Registered
48 Posts
That is an excellent point. Thank you. This is actually one of my concerns with Rivian and the R1T. For example, if Toyota produces a comparable BEV pickup in the near future, I would wholeheartedly favour it over the R1T based on my previous ownership experience.
Hard to beat a Toyota for quality and longevity. I had a 2018 Tacoma and had ZERO issues. That MY had all the safety features like collision avoidance and such but still a pretty basic truck with a rock-solid V6. Mileage was NOT good and even switching our family to a full-size SUV I still get the same or better MPG than the Taco. Based on the cool pictures of Toyota's new EVs they will have a Taco replacement. Timing will be an issue for the Toyota transition to EVs. I think Rivian can survive long-term if they get the trucks delivered this year to "real" customers. This year is the year the rubber hits the road for truck EVs.

·
Registered
48 Posts
And just like that, you can't order a Maverick until the summer. Ford can't keep up with demand.
Good luck finding any HOT vehicle from any automobile manufacturer these days.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And just like that, you can't order a Maverick until the summer. Ford can't keep up with demand.
Good luck finding any HOT vehicle from any automobile manufacturer these days.
See the original post for this thread.

·
Registered
48 Posts
See the original post for this thread.
Missed the linked story. :)
Automobile buying looks to be changed from the consumer side for the foreseeable future. Days of full dealer lots are a distant memory.
I've been doing early shopping online and dealers are sending me notices of the 2-3 vehicles that are arriving that aren't pre-sold. When following up I have been told the vehicle is no longer available. Fun days

·
Registered
20 Posts

We are taking a certain risk assuming that Rivian/Tesla/Lucid/etc. will be around in ten years (at least those of us who keep our vehicles for a longer time).

Even some of the big brands have come close to bankruptcy.
Nope. GM did go bankrupt and was bailed out at the expense of the bond holders. I was not suprised by Rivian's moves.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.