Rivian Forum – Rivian R1T & R1S News, Pricing & Order... banner

What is a more capable rock crawler

• R1T

• R1S

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
You need a full size spare tire to go off-road safely. The R1S currently cannot carry one in a convenient way. If you are thinking about placing it in the roof that will increase drag and reduce range and it will keep you from having a rooftop tent. Also the tire weighs 86 pounds so it will not be easy to lift it up there.

·
Registered
2019 Zero SR/F and 2018, BMW i3
314 Posts
You need a full size spare tire to go off-road safely. The R1S currently cannot carry one in a convenient way. If you are thinking about placing it in the roof that will increase drag and reduce range and it will keep you from having a rooftop tent. Also the tire weighs 86 pounds so it will not be easy to lift it up there.
I don't do serious off-roading. But why can't you just install something like this? https://www.amazon.com/CURT-31006-H...ords=hitch+tire+carrier&qid=1648836599&sr=8-5

Isn't it much easier to get? I mean, if you have the R1T you are also probably carrying something in truck bed when off-roading.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'm going to yank out either the third row or the second row seats or both and then there will be plenty of space for a full-size spare!

·
Registered
Rivian R1T, 600hp Fisker Karma
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to yank out either the third row or the second row seats or both and then there will be plenty of space for a full-size spare!
Awesome! Do take pictures when that conversion is complete. I have an R1T and thinking about selling my friend the R1T and keeping the R1S

·
Registered
20 Posts
I may just buy a hitch mounted tire carrier on my R1S for offroading and buy a fullsize spare just for this purpose. The carrier is removable so I can just mount it when I need to use it and use the compact spare for when/if I ever have a flat tire on the road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts